Fixing Vulnerabilities

Status
Not open for further replies.
To fix those perl conflict you'd have to compile the ports that depend on perl 5.14 so that they depend only on perl version 5.16. I'm not sure if it's that simple at the moment because if it was the packages in the repository should have dependencies only to 5.16. It's possible that those ports are broken at the moment and would need fixing to make them respect the new default version 5.16 properly.

That's a catch 22 situation. Hopefully he wasn't using FreeBSD, as that would mean a BSD box wasn't hacked or jeopardized. But if he wasn't, why is a FreeBSD developer not using FreeBSD?

kpa said:
To fix those perl conflict you'd have to compile the ports that depend on perl 5.14 so that they depend only on perl version 5.16. I'm not sure if it's that simple at the moment because if it was the packages in the repository should have dependencies only to 5.16. It's possible that those ports are broken at the moment and would need fixing to make them respect the new default version 5.16 properly.

How would I do this? Honestly, why can I just pkg delete perl? That's madness that I can't delete a damn package!

I just need to upgrade perl, surely it's a simple command or two. I can't believe how counter-intuitive this whole process is turning out to be. I can't wait for my new Mac.

markbsd said:
That's a catch 22 situation. Hopefully he wasn't using FreeBSD, as that would mean a BSD box wasn't hacked or jeopardized. But if he wasn't, why is a FreeBSD developer not using FreeBSD?

This is getting very off topic for this thread, but anyway: Not using FreeBSD on some desktop doesn't mean you're not using FreeBSD. For example, I don't use FreeBSD on any client machines, but I do use it almost exclusively on all my servers and firewalls.

markbsd said:
How would I do this? Honestly, why can I just pkg delete perl? That's madness that I can't delete a damn package!

I just need to upgrade perl, surely it's a simple command or two. I can't believe how counter-intuitive this whole process is turning out to be. I can't wait for my new Mac.

I see that pkg(8) and pkg-delete(8) doesn't work. However, you can still look at those manpages in the console (see man(1) if you don't know how) to find out how to achieve what you want to do. Hint: Look at the -f flag.

Savagedlight said:
This is getting very off topic for this thread, but anyway: Not using FreeBSD on some desktop doesn't mean you're not using FreeBSD. For example, I don't use FreeBSD on any client machines, but I do use it almost exclusively on all my servers and firewalls.

True (on both counts), but it's interesting.

On topic: please tell me you know how to resolve this perl problem?!

markbsd said:

Well, my view is that we are all suffering from years of neglect with the ports system. There are number of things that should have happened years ago but they were always postponed because of lack of resources or just plain change resistance. It's only recently that those important improvements have started to happen. Much credit has to go to the PKGNG project.

kpa said:
Well, my view is that we are all suffering from years of neglect with the ports system. There are number of things that should have happened years ago but they were always postponed because of lack of resources or just plain change resistance. It's only recently that those important improvements have started to happen. Much credit has to go to the PKGNG project.

Do you think I need to:

Code:
# rm -R /usr/local
# rm -R /var/db/pkg

And start again? I feel like throwing this computer out the window right now.

Or what if I find the perl-5.14 directory and rm -r that and then try pkg install perl-5.16?

I would give up with Gnome2 at the moment and look for alternate window managers/desktop environments. XFCE4 was pretty nice when I used it.

I'm happy to do that, but I still need to upgrade perl to 5.16 for other packages I want to install, like firefox, and xfce4! This has really screwed me.

I've recently installed KDE4 on two machines which get a lot of use, and it's running quite well. I had Xfce on one before, it's a very functional desktop, but it doesn't take care of a number of common tasks like automounting so I think blackbox is about as good. I know little about Gnome, but the day before yesterday I set up a special purpose Linux box with it and it is very solid in that environment. However, it seems to require more complex key operations to be fast. Perhaps I just don't get it. :)

@markbsd, remember that perl is a bit of a special case, because it has involvement with so many (most?) of the other programs.

I prefer KDE, but last time I installed it on a FreeBSD box it wouldn't even start! Lol. Besides, it's a bit more resource heavy than GNOME, hence why I decided on GNOME for this VM. So far, it's great, really great! But I need to upgrade perl, and this godforsaken OS simply will not let me!

I've created a new virtual image and am going to start from scratch...again! Needless to say, this is beyond ridiculous right now. It's completely ass-backwards and has me at the limit of the crap I'm willing to put up with from a desktop OS. I can't imagine the hell people are going to have to endure when they're forced to convert from pkg_add to pkgng. I'll be praying for them.

When I learn how to code and have enough experience to develop for FreeBSD (about 20 years from now), I'll make it my number 1 priority and life mission to develop a consistent and reliable package management protocol to avoid all this crap. Lord knows we'll still be in need of one :)

I've been asking around for a Bitcoin wallet address, no one has come forth. I'd love to make a donation. I think even pkgng has a loooooong way to go though. This is such a nothing task that has all but crippled the whole package management system. It's a joke.

markbsd said:
(...)Needless to say, this is beyond ridiculous right now. It's completely ass-backwards and has me at the limit of the crap I'm willing to put up with from a desktop OS.(...)
As an aside: FreeBSD isn't a desktop OS, per se. You may want to look into PC-BSD for this use case.

PS: Please read my earlier post for info on how to remove the old version of perl.

markbsd said:
I've been asking around for a Bitcoin wallet address, no one has come forth. I'd love to make a donation. I think even pkgng has a loooooong way to go though. This is such a nothing task that has all but crippled the whole package management system. It's a joke.

Call it a joke when you have properly looked at what PKGNG is and have used it long enough to make a judgement. As noted many times before, PKGNG is nothing but the packaging backend for the ports system. The same problems that you have encountered are still present if you leave out the PKGNG package management and use the old pkg_* packaging tools.

I half agree with you; there's nothing in the literature that states FreeBSD is purely a server OS, or cannot be used as a desktop OS.

To which post do you refer:

I see that pkg(8) and pkg-delete(8) doesn't work. However, you can still look at those manpages in the console (see man(1) if you don't know how) to find out how to achieve what you want to do. Hint: Look at the -f flag.

You think pkg delete -f perl is the only option I have? And then pkg install perl-5.16 will get everything depending on perl working again?

kpa said:
Call it a joke when you have properly looked at what PKGNG is and have used it long enough to make a judgement.

The joke is this situation. It wasn't a reference to the pkgng project. You have a habit of either not reading my posts, or not properly reading them.

markbsd said:
I prefer KDE, but last time I installed it on a FreeBSD box it wouldn't even start! Lol. Besides, it's a bit more resource heavy than GNOME, . . .

I don't think that resources are very important any more. I just built a new machine with middle of the road parts (Intel i3) and KDE runs fast. As for HDD space as a resource, the size of an OS is completely irrelevant these days.

Mind you, I do understand the aesthetics of the basic concept. I still run, and use daily, a machine which is extremely fast and runs perfectly after more than 20 years of tweaking my setup and OS setup skills. The processor is an Intel P1, and the OS is MS-DOS-6.22 - and yes I use it on the net too. The elegance of high functionality with very low resources is intoxicating. But since we got Gigabyte harddrives and multicore processors, that game is over. :)

I can't imagine the hell people are going to have to endure when they're forced to convert from pkg_add to pkgng.

The only thing that happened here is that my left shift key gets less use. Go figure.

I do feel your pain though. I've come close to quitting FreeBSD on several occasions recently. I didn't publish my rants, but they weren't pretty. :)

OJ said:
I don't think that resources are very important any more. I just built a new machine with middle of the road parts (Intel i3) and KDE runs fast. As for HDD space as a resource, the size of an OS is completely irrelevant these days.

Mind you, I do understand the aesthetics of the basic concept. I still run, and use daily, a machine which is extremely fast and runs perfectly after more than 20 years of tweaking my setup and OS setup skills. The processor is an Intel P1, and the OS is MS-DOS-6.22 - and yes I use it on the net too. The elegance of high functionality with very low resources is intoxicating. But since we got Gigabyte harddrives and multicore processors, that game is over. :)

My concern was moreso due to it being run in a VM on a Win7 host which often has other guest OSs run simultaneously, so, unfortunately, resources were a bit of a concern. Even still, I have FreeBSD installed on an old laptop where, similarly, resources are also a concern. So, resources are still an issue for me at times.

The only thing that happened here is that my left shift key gets less use. Go figure.

I do feel your pain though. I've come close to quitting FreeBSD on several occasions recently. I didn't publish my rants, but they weren't pretty. :)

I don't know how lucky you were, or how unlucky I am. I'm pretty much at that point. Not quite flipping yet, but damn close :)

markbsd said:
You think pkg delete -f perl is the only option I have? And then pkg install perl-5.16 will get everything depending on perl working again?

Code:
#pkg updating perl
20131023:
  AFFECTS: users of lang/perl5.12 lang/perl5.14
  AUTHOR: mat@FreeBSD.org

The default Perl has been switched to lang/perl5.16.  These examples
  are for switching from lang/perl5.14, if you are running another
  version, replace lang/perl5.14 with the origin of the Perl you have
  installed.

Pkgng users:

# pkg set -o lang/perl5.14:lang/perl5.16
    # pkg install -Rf lang/perl5.16

Portupgrade users:
    0) Fix pkgdb.db (for safety):
	pkgdb -Ff

1) Reinstall new version of Perl (5.16):
	portupgrade -o lang/perl5.16 -f perl-5.14.\*

2) Reinstall everything that depends on Perl:
	portupgrade -fr perl

Portmaster users:
	portmaster -o lang/perl5.16 lang/perl5.14

Conservative:
	portmaster p5-

Comprehensive (but perhaps overkill):
	portmaster -r perl-

Note: If the "perl-" glob matches more than one port you will need to specify
        the name of the Perl directory in /var/db/pkg explicitly.

Following these instructions worked here, but with ports and portmaster. I won’t dare to suggest you again reading the pkg manuals, I’ve perfectly understood that you don’t have time to waste… ;)

• Thanks
Reactions: nb
Juanitou said:
Code:
#pkg updating perl
20131023:
  AFFECTS: users of lang/perl5.12 lang/perl5.14
  AUTHOR: mat@FreeBSD.org

The default Perl has been switched to lang/perl5.16.  These examples
  are for switching from lang/perl5.14, if you are running another
  version, replace lang/perl5.14 with the origin of the Perl you have
  installed.

Pkgng users:

# pkg set -o lang/perl5.14:lang/perl5.16
    # pkg install -Rf lang/perl5.16

Portupgrade users:
    0) Fix pkgdb.db (for safety):
	pkgdb -Ff

1) Reinstall new version of Perl (5.16):
	portupgrade -o lang/perl5.16 -f perl-5.14.\*

portupgrade -fr perl

Portmaster users:
	portmaster -o lang/perl5.16 lang/perl5.14

Conservative:
	portmaster p5-

Comprehensive (but perhaps overkill):
	portmaster -r perl-

Note: If the "perl-" glob matches more than one port you will need to specify
        the name of the Perl directory in /var/db/pkg explicitly.

Following these instructions worked here, but with ports and portmaster. I won’t dare to suggest you again reading the pkg manuals, I’ve perfectly understood that you don’t have time to waste… ;)

No need to be a smart ass, @@Juanito. I've already read /usr/ports/UPDATING and applied the steps from 20120630 after a google search led me there. But thanks for going out of your way to suggest the obvious after presuming manual pages hadn't been read -- that's a great way to try and help people :)

And that's not what you posted before, you suggest using the -f flag like you knew what you were doing. Now you've done some googling and want to share? Yeah. Thanks!

Oh, and by the way. For those, like me, who don't want to use ports:

portupgrade -fr perl

Can be done with pkg upgrade instead.

Last edited by a moderator:
markbsd said:
And that's not what you posted before, you suggest using the -f flag like you knew what you were doing. Now you've done some googling and want to share? Yeah. Thanks!
I don’t remember suggesting anything related to updating perl, but you certainly have verified it. I’m only insisting, as the beginner I am, to read the manual pages: Google was not needed here to upgrade perl several weeks ago and have all ports needed for a nice desktop experience updated and running. Anyway, who am I to provide advice, isn’t it? The number and volume of the threads you have initiated show that you’re in the perfect mood for tinkering with FreeBSD as a desktop OS, so I’m not willing to irritate you any more and I’ll refrain from posting on them any more.

Good luck!

You're right -- I confused you with someone else!

Nevertheless, if you'd actually exercised due diligence in required reading ITT before trying to be a smartass you'd see I'd not only read the man pages for the relevant commands, but the Handbook, the Wiki, and several other pages of documentation in an attempt to rectify the problem. But you just wanted to make some sideways remark trying to compare my reticence in using ports to save time with not reading manual pages to save time! Really? That was not only unfounded, but stupid! The amount of time saved in using packages instead of ports doesn't even compare to any time used productively in reading manual pages. You obviously -- and you have a history of it -- just wanted to make a snide remark. Good for you. Your post was actually informative and would otherwise be appreciated if not for your childish attempt at being a smart aleck:

Juanito said:
I won’t dare to suggest you again reading the pkg manuals, I’ve perfectly understood that you don’t have time to waste…

How about next time, instead of trying to come off as a condescending newb, you take a little look at the other posts in the thread. You might not make yourself look like a goose and a patronizing jerk.

[ Forum rule violations -- Mod. ]

markbsd said:
I'm happy to do that, but I still need to upgrade perl to 5.16 for other packages I want to install, like firefox, and xfce4! This has really screwed me.

This thread is why I wish the /var/db/pkg/portname-# >> pkg conversion had a problem > solution flowchart... ( for instance often in perl upgrades (I run perl5-14 but packages I expect now use perl5-16 ...) ) in the sense that packages may contain often dependencies that locally have not been updated to the default version, etc... I don't believe that the new packages system has too many bugs, per se, just that it has enough missing features that it should have been delayed as the default. I can grep /var/db/pkg files in a pipe to reinstall ports which have been installed via package when they should have been installed via ports... fiddle with the directories in /var/db/pkg (temporarily rename to allow duplicate installs of conflicting ports which for some reason may both need to be installed, etc... ) and countless other fixes/workarounds which with more effort, one would just choose to not install, instead.
Howsoever, I could write on and on... but have been outvoted. Meanwhile, pkg has not been building here for months, with a sqlite3.so error.
My point is not to disparage /pkg/ but am posting in the hopes that one or two or more persons reading the post will concur that the package system would be served by such a flowchart, constantly revised... making it more user-friendly even to those not yet using FreeBSD but who may be swayed by simply reading the flowchart should it ever appear. [Not to discourage a multipage EXAMPLES section that would contain all the fixes/workarounds in a more verbose manner than is common except in exceptionally informative manpages, a few of which exist already. And common problems could be fixed by code to make the EXAMPLES list or flowchart size less sizable, a problem repository immediately available to all without further search, so to speak.
[edit...]
In the freebsd-questions list this week, (Vol 494 # 1 of the digest form...) there is a long thread about "How to install two freebsd9.2 on one disk?" which has many command-line examples, several scenarios, the bootloader, GPT vs MBR... re the FLOWCHART method of user help, if all the information in that thread (for example ) were combined with the short EXAMPLES in man gpart and summarized (I know, a wiki, but many do not look there "first", as a matter of recourse...) it could be helpful in a similar manner to the topic of this thread, maybe having first recourse to a flowchart or very verbose EXAMPLES section.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back