Solved Firefox, Synth or not and LTO

FYI, thunderbird failing with LTO is already reported.
https://bugs.freebsd.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=255311
And I can confirm this on an independent installation. The build ends with:
Code:
ld: error: undefined hidden symbol: JS::CleanupQueuedFinalizationRegistry(JSContext*, JS::Handle<JSObject*>)
>>> referenced by Unified_cpp_xpcom_base0.cpp
>>>               lto.tmp:(mozilla::CleanupFinalizationRegistriesRunnable::Run())

ld: error: too many errors emitted, stopping now (use -error-limit=0 to see all errors)
clang++: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)

Many undefined symbols before that...

Speaking of LTO, I encountered something bizarre after enabling it in the configuration menu for the libreoffice port and keeping default values for this port's other configuration options. I compiled the port, but libreoffice crashed every time I tried to start it. Then I added WITH_DEBUG=yes to poudriere's make.conf, and, while keeping the LTO configuration option enabled, I re-compiled the port... And this time there were no crashes when I was running libreoffice. I have no idea why WITH_DEBUG=yes resulted in LTO-enabled libreoffice that didn't crash. By the way, WITH_DEBUG=yes still resulted in a stripped soffice.bin binary! This is all so bizarre and mysterious.

Speaking of LTO, I encountered something bizarre after enabling it in the configuration menu for the libreoffice port and keeping default values for this port's other configuration options. I compiled the port, but libreoffice crashed every time I tried to start it. Then I added WITH_DEBUG=yes to poudriere's make.conf, and, while keeping the LTO configuration option enabled, I re-compiled the port... And this time there were no crashes when I was running libreoffice. I have no idea why WITH_DEBUG=yes resulted in LTO-enabled libreoffice that didn't crash. By the way, WITH_DEBUG=yes still resulted in a stripped soffice.bin binary! This is all so bizarre and mysterious.
Yeah, that is weird - I always turn the debugging option off when I compile my ports, and I have yet to see that being a problem. Well, some ports still fail to compile for me, so that's an option to try next time... 😲

Back