Firefox issue dragging from URL bar to bookmarks bar

Firefox allows you to drag a URL from the URL bar to a bookmark folder.

A while ago (6 months, a year?) this stopped working reliably. This happens under all recent firefox versions, which I compile from ports. The effect I observe is that when dragging the URL, at some point the movement of the URL widget moving the mouse would stop randomly. I can then use the arrow keys to keep moving it pixel by pixel, or hit ENTER to drop the URL where the cursor is. In other words it looks like the drag/drop switches from mouse to keyboard input at random.

I only have very minor modifications in about:config (allow userChrome.css, adapt pixel size to 4K display), so I am aware I "voided the warranty".

Does anybody else observe the same effect?

at some point the movement of the URL widget moving the mouse would stop randomly.
Sounds like a busy system getting unresponsive. Too many Firefox-Tabs open? Too many processes running?
Also think about backing up your bookmarks, create a new Firefox profile, restore bookmarks from backup and see if the problem is gone.

EDIT: It may be that also an/some Firefox-Addon(s) are slowing the Browser. Try to deactivate and see if it changes the problem.

The machine has an 8 core, 16 thread CPU and is basically idling. Yes, I have about 20 tabs open, but the system load is epsilon. I have disabled all extensions but the issue has only become marginally better, i.e. I can drag the URL over larger distances before it switches to keyboard input.
Mozilla recommends to diagnose problems first by checking if they also happen in "Troubleshoot Mode" (formerly safe-mode) available via the three horizontal lines menu -> Help -> Trouble Shoot Mode. I did that and found the problem is much harder to reproduce, but not impossible. Meaning I drag the URL and shake it like I'm disco dancing on crack with a tab drop down menu open. Eventually it will drop to keyboard input.

Maybe a mouse event gets lost on occasion and confuses Firefox.

Back