firefox continuously core dumping

This happens with firefox from upgrade to upgrade. Sometimes more stable, sometimes crashes continuously. Characteristic of bloat software: it does not evolve, only mutate and get fatter.

Code:
# uname -a
FreeBSD fbsd.local 11.2-RELEASE FreeBSD 11.2-RELEASE #0 r335510: Fri Jun 22 04:32:14 UTC 2018     root@releng2.nyi.freebsd.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64
# firefox --version
Mozilla Firefox 64.0.2

• Thanks
Reactions: PMc
I never got cores on www/firefox but get them from time to time on x11-fm/xfe and on a couple of other non-bloated apps. I would not say the cores are because the app is bloated. Another member (name escapes me) posted in his profile he is getting cores all the time.

This happens with firefox from upgrade to upgrade.
Agree, FF is getting worse in the stability aspect.
I posted another issue recently.
I have less problems with FF in my desktop (Xeon E5-1650, 16G RAM), but yesterday it crashed there too.
In my laptop (i7-3520M, 16G RAM) I had to switch to Chromium because of those issues with FF...

Try adding the following to /etc/sysctl.conf:

Code:
net.local.stream.recvspace=16384
net.local.stream.sendspace=16384

I have no idea why but doing that solved the problem for me a long time ago. I've never had a single core dump since then. I can't even remember where I got that from now. Must have been somewhere on this forum or the mailing lists.

Interesting! Well FF used to regularly crash for me and leave a core and I found that mentioned as a possible fix. I tried it and seriously FF has never crashed since. It could be a coincidence, but what can I say? It's worth a try!

FF is my primary browser and it runs without any issues. I haven't experienced any crashes on 12.0 yet.

Xfce Version 4.12
FreeBSD 12.0-RELEASE r341666 GENERIC amd64
Mozilla Firefox 64.0.2

Thanks, xtaz. Perhaps I try it, perhaps I wait until it again become stable.

One of the problems with firefox is, that after some new versions I have to customize it again because of unwanted "features".

I am really not enthusiastic to begin with also continuously adapting my system to every version of firefox.

I use firefox regularly and don't get the coredumps on my i386 system with only 3 GB of RAM and 6,096,384 KB of swap in a dedicated swap partition. Not sure what else might be possibly different about my configuration, but I don't get the coredumps with firefox version 63 or 64, nor with the esr version 63, and it doesn't seem to matter whether I use packages or ports.

I use the same settings in /etc/sysctl.conf which xtaz suggested above, plus the procfs addition to /etc/fstab (which has been somewhat inconsistently and ambiguously recommended for KDE, both in the installation output and on the kde.org website):
Code:
proc            /proc           procfs  rw      0       0
I'm not sure if the procfs config is related to this problem or not, but if you're not already using it, it might be worth a try.

I'm currently using www/firefox on one machine and www/firefox-esr on another. I updated Firefox yesterday and Firefox-ESR today.

Firefox has crashed 3 times in the past 2-3 hours. Firefox-ESR hasn't crashed in approximately the same time. I don't use any variables on either to prevent crashing.

Try adding the following to /etc/sysctl.conf:

Code:
net.local.stream.recvspace=16384
net.local.stream.sendspace=16384

I have no idea why but doing that solved the problem for me a long time ago. I've never had a single core dump since then. I can't even remember where I got that from now. Must have been somewhere on this forum or the mailing lists.
Thread Firefox is leaking memory on my systems.67657

In short, it's a kernel bug having to do with a process that Firefox uses. The recommended fix is in /usr/ports/www/firefox/pkg-message.
https://bugs.freebsd.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=181741 is the bug, and https://bugs.freebsd.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=229893#c0 shows how it relates to Firefox.

It seems so. I'm running 12.0. I'm going to remove those lines from my config and see how it goes. Before I added those lines FF would crash around once every 3 days maybe.

Curious, do the folks running FF leave their systems running 24x7? I have never had a FF crash or core dump that I can remember anyway, but I shut my system down every night.

do the folks running FF leave their systems running 24x7?
Yes! And the FF is running with several open tabs.
However, the issues haven't happen before.
Moreover, besides the crashes and unkillable residual processes I found several other less noticeable issues. For example, suddenly sound disappears on certain sites, Ublock Origin stops blocking ads etc.
I have never seen such things before recent updates.

Interesting. I am building it now so I can test later to see if I have any issues. I should leave it running all weekend to see what happens.

I don't leave mine running. It's on a laptop which I shut down every time I stop using it because FreeBSD won't do hibernate to disk, only RAM. So it's a fresh boot. FF used to crash and leave a core probably 2 or 3 times a week. Other days it would work fine all day without any issues at all. It tended to do it when I moved the mouse over something on the page. If I just left it alone it would be fine.

Curious, do the folks running FF leave their systems running 24x7?

Yes, I always have at least 2 up running 24/7. I was going to post using the one I have running www/firefox but Firefox has already crashed when trying to switch between 2 tabs and not up 10 minutes.

It's a T400 with 2.4GHz Core2 Duo, 8GB RAM and Switchable Graphics with Intel GMA 4500MHD and ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3470 that defaults to the Radeon driver. It's never short on resources and no other programs ever crash.

I agree that Firefox is becoming a bloated mess and don't care for it nearly as much as before it adopted Quantum Strangeness and broke all my extensions. I'm using the machine with www/firefox-esr to post with now and it hasn't crashed anytime lately that I recall. I'd happily use www/seamonkey all the time but using a browser with known vulnerabilities doesn't appeal to me.

Speaking of which:

https://www.zdnet.com/article/websites-can-steal-browser-data-via-extensions-apis/

Thanks for that Trihexagonal - I was using seamonkey but wasn't sure it got the patch/update love that chromium and firefox do. Using chromium now with success, except my google paranoia, but my need for a secure browser outweighs that and I don't sign into the browser anyway. I use a browser all the time so need it to be reasonably secure.

I never use extensions for that very reason.

Built and installed www/firefox, running in the background, may use for some searches, etc. I am just going to let it run today and see how it fares. I'll post back if I get any crashes. It is completely "stock" with zero personal configuration, although I did customize the build options:

Code:
# This file is auto-generated by 'make config'.
# Options for firefox-65.0_1,1
_OPTIONS_READ=firefox-65.0_1,1
_FILE_COMPLETE_OPTIONS_LIST=CANBERRA DBUS DEBUG FFMPEG GCONF LIBPROXY OPTIMIZED_CFLAGS PROFILE TEST ALSA JACK PULSEA
UDIO SNDIO
OPTIONS_FILE_UNSET+=CANBERRA
OPTIONS_FILE_SET+=DBUS
OPTIONS_FILE_UNSET+=DEBUG
OPTIONS_FILE_SET+=FFMPEG
OPTIONS_FILE_SET+=GCONF
OPTIONS_FILE_UNSET+=LIBPROXY
OPTIONS_FILE_SET+=OPTIMIZED_CFLAGS
OPTIONS_FILE_SET+=PROFILE
OPTIONS_FILE_UNSET+=TEST
OPTIONS_FILE_UNSET+=ALSA
OPTIONS_FILE_UNSET+=JACK
OPTIONS_FILE_UNSET+=PULSEAUDIO
OPTIONS_FILE_SET+=SNDIO

This happens with firefox from upgrade to upgrade. Sometimes more stable, sometimes crashes continuously. Characteristic of bloat software: it does not evolve, only mutate and get fatter.

Thanks, same here. You hit the mark.

Mine doesn't crash or malfunction in any way (except after the last update it was somehow pissed at first). It just leaves a fat core after exiting almost every day, bloating my backup server. (Probably, if it's in a state that it cannot properly exit anymore, it would crash sooner or later.)
Rel. 60.3 ESR

Caught myself thinking some script should remove the dungheaps during /etc/rc.local, but then there also was a way in unix to seriously get rid of coredumps... ah, ulimit.

PMc, sidetone mentioned a bug that was fixed on 2018-08-17, but I have a FreeBSD 11.2 from 2018-06-22 (r335510). I think, the solution is to wait a little.

I'm using the latest firefox available from ports (65.0_1,1) and I don't have any crush. The only available options are:
Code:
    ALSA           : on
    CANBERRA       : off
    DBUS           : on
    DEBUG          : off
    FFMPEG         : on
    GCONF          : on
    JACK           : on
    LIBPROXY       : off
    OPTIMIZED_CFLAGS: on
    PROFILE        : on
    PULSEAUDIO     : off
    SNDIO          : off
    TEST           : off

Till now with this config Ff works like a charm. In the past when I had pulseaudio and/or sndio enabled I had a lots of core dumps.

I actually have everything on my system that can play sound and that can be configured with sndio, using sndio. I have been running that build of FF all day with no cores, but I am not using it heavily, except for surfing around and watching some youtube vids.

This core thing has got me puzzled because it seems to happen randomly, and infrequently, at least to me. I suppose it is possible to view the core itself in a text editor or use "strings" (?) so you can see what actually caused it, if you have skill I suppose. I do not ;)

Back