Solved Firefox 72 on FreeBSD 12.1 - video won't play

I'd appreciate it if you can help me or at least point me in the right direction, I feel like I'm spinning.

Fresh install of 12.1 amd64
Desktop = MATE
nvidia driver (working)

I can't seem to stream any video, when I go to youtube it shows the first frame with the loading circle but it never goes beyond that. Other sites are the same.

I restarted firefox without addons = same result
I tried removing firefox and trying firefox-esr = same result
I tried removing that and trying chromium = same result
hardware acceleration is turned off in firefox.

So I get the suspicion this isn't just a firefox problem but I don't think it's a base problem either. I suspect that I'm missing some driver or package but I don't know what it is.

Has anyone else run into this? All help appreciated.

Jeff

I've been through that thread, if you read it all you find the OP gave up and the problem was never solved.

Update Dec 6th: I give up. It's my hardware. FreeBSD in VirtualBox runs perfectly fine, including YouTube movies. But hey. VB is different hardware ;) On my barebone laptop it keeps having this YouTube problem. I tried every tip on the internet. From sound related issues to driverless xorg. Nothing works. Have to look for a new laptop.

OK, solved, but not in the "I found the reason" way.

To see if it was the nvidia driver I edited /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/nvidia.conf and set the driver from nvidia to vesa
After rebooting video worked but I had a very small screen resolution.
I did pkg install nvidia-xconfig
then as root I did nvidia-xconfig
it wrote a new /etc/X11/xorg.conf file
I rebooted and everything is working.

I know we're supposed to go away from the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file but I don't have time today to find what is in it that needs to be moved to /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/xxx.conf

I'll report back later with file contents when I find something more specific.

Back