youtube not playing videos in firefox

Anybody has this problem? I use the latest firefox on FreeBSD-12-RELEASE and every video I chose on youtube does not play. Weird. What am I missing?

I'm using FreeBSD 12.0-RELEASE-p10 with www/firefox-esr 68.1.0 and not having any problems with youtube videos playing. I played several just to make sure and this one should play without needing to leave the site.

Rainbow - Man on the Silver Mountain Live

I saw Rainbow in concert some forty years ago. I am not proud of it. My ears were screaming for five days afterwards, and I think that did some permanent damage to my hearing.

Terpentijn, did you check that within Youtube's settings, that you are viewing video as HTML5 rather than Flash?

Mine was doing just fine(yesterday-ish). Until I seen this post then went and checked it. Now I'm getting this some sounds are ok, and others are a gargling wheezily muffled sounds.

Firefox 69.0.1
FreeBSD 12.0-RELEASE-p10

It's also with reg movies I play in mpv.. now I got a investigate further..

it's like the bckground music is set higher then the vocals which are now muffeled and lower in volume, and just generally screwed up.

MOD:
said screw it, got a go into Linux to watch anything now, then when I was in Linux I discovered my headphone jack wasn't plugged in completely.

now it is and its back to working again...
go figure... 👁

OK. An update. I installed fbsd from scratch. Updated it. Installed Xorg and Xfce. Add drm-kmod for my Intel on board videocard. Runs like a champ. Alas! No video playback on YouTube. Not in Firefox. Not in chromium. I can play normal local movies from my mediatheek. I had a free drive and installed GhostBSD. Same hardware. Same videocard. YouTube works just fine! I want fbsd and am convinced that something is wrong there. I have no idea where to look though. I'm a member of the right groups. The hardware and settings are the same afa I know. What oh what can it be? Any suggestions on things that differ so much between fbsd and Ghost that one does work and one does not?

I had that same problem, too, for about a week after I upgraded all packages via pkg upgrade.
While suddenly www/firefox and multimedia/mpv refused to play whatever type of video, www/iridium played anything as expected. I compared all libs and dependencies of the 3, but wasn't able to find the cause.

Anyway, I did not get nervous and just ran pkg upgrade every day since then.
Everything is back to normal since a lot of stuff got upgraded about 2 hours ago.

Code:
Oct  6 16:44:17 pico pkg[58277]: mpv reinstalled: 0.29.1_11,1 -> 0.29.1_11,1
Oct  6 16:44:56 pico pkg[58277]: firefox upgraded: 69.0.1,1 -> 69.0.2,1

I use regular quarterly repo.

I had that same problem, too, for about a week after I upgraded all packages via pkg upgrade.
While suddenly www/firefox and multimedia/mpv refused to play whatever type of video, www/iridium played anything as expected. I compared all libs and dependencies of the 3, but wasn't able to find the cause.

Everything is back to normal since a lot of stuff got upgraded about 2 hours ago.

Code:

Glad to hear your problems are solved. Mine are not. I use the same firefox version. Just to check if it would make a difference I changed back to quarterly, but only xorg-libraries needed installing. I did not do so, because, being on latest, I allready had that version. I will give it more time. If it's something in one of the packages, it will be solved. I guess it must be. I have no other explanation. The rest of the system, including Xfce, runs perfectly.

I think it would really be useful to have an announcement when we roll into the next quarterly repo.
Especially seeing how it takes some time for the packages to build on the cluster from the ports tree.
Some might expect to see the new packages on the 1st day of the new quarter.

Code:

Just to make sure. I installed www/iridium-browser but as I already feared, it shows the same problem. Like I wrote, chromium has this problem too. And since iridium is based on chromium... ;) Ah well, this maybe the prize one pays for running 'latest' pkgs.

I don't get sound from youtube but videos play fine. I might have another issue tho, as I always have to run
Code:
sysctl hw.snd.default_unit=0
before getting any sound from the sound card. I don't know if this is an issue others have experienced. I will open another thread on that one.

I never hd any sound issues, other then that ooops posted above. but I used portsnap to update everything, using its conf to tell it to use pkg first for the latest version and build whatever next. and video and sound and everything has and still is working ok, but I got a HP EliteBook 840 G2 CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-5300U CPU @ 2.30GHz (2294.74-MHz K8-class CPU) FreeBSD/SMP: Multiprocessor System Detected: 4 CPUs system, as everything depends on the Hardware I do suppose it plays a big deal in all of this.

I don't get sound from youtube but videos play fine. I might have another issue tho, as I always have to run
Code:
sysctl hw.snd.default_unit=0
before getting any sound from the sound card. I don't know if this is an issue others have experienced. I will open another thread on that one.
If you always have to do this, why don't you put this line in /etc/sysctl.conf then?

What GPU are you using? I ask because, IIRC, you may need to install the VAAPI drivers for yours to work for playback within Firefox (or possibly other browsers). For example, on my laptop with an Intel GPU, I installed multimedia/libva-intel-driver and things are working fine.

Other than that, did you install Firefox from ports, and if so, what options did you pick? I'm using the esr version (as I don't need the "latest new features" and it lets me rebuild the port less often), and as I recall you need to leave the PULSEAUDIO option on for sound to work.

I have a second generation intel (sandy bridge?). The libva-intel-driver states it does not support this chipset. This morning I installed it anyway. got no error msgs, but the results were the same. No YouTube videos. All I get is this spinning circle in the video. Nothing happens. This evening I'm on a fresh install, with pkg set to quarterly (the default). No videos in YouTube. I hope the 12.1 release will solve the problem.

I doubt it, as the problem is likely with the ports side of things. Have you tried the ESR release to see if that works?

Update Dec 6th: I give up. It's my hardware. FreeBSD in VirtualBox runs perfectly fine, including YouTube movies. But hey. VB is different hardware ;) On my barebone laptop it keeps having this YouTube problem. I tried every tip on the internet. From sound related issues to driverless xorg. Nothing works. Have to look for a new laptop.

Back