Finished: CALL FOR TESTERS Intel wireless 5100/5300 iwn(4) driver for FreeBSD

oliverh said:
I get panics shortly after a reboot (50-60s) or sometimes after about 10 minutes. Are there any special flags to set e.g. in wpa_supplicant.conf or something else to consider?

This is what I'm using currently, nothing fancy.
Code:
ap_scan=1

network={
        ssid="XYZ"
        scan_ssid=1
        key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
        proto=RSN
        pairwise=CCMP
        group=CCMP
        psk="deadbeef"
}

I'm curious, do you have systems with >= 4GB of RAM?

I had a reboot now! This is what I have in /var/log/messages

Code:
Dec 11 09:23:41 bljbsd01 wpa_supplicant[393]: CTRL-EVENT-SCAN-RESULTS
Dec 11 09:29:09 bljbsd01 wpa_supplicant[393]: CTRL-EVENT-SCAN-RESULTS
Dec 11 09:34:17 bljbsd01 wpa_supplicant[393]: CTRL-EVENT-SCAN-RESULTS
Dec 11 09:40:22 bljbsd01 syslogd: kernel boot file is /boot/kernel/kernel

Hi,

I do now have 4GB of RAM and the first thing I got when loading if_iwn.ko with more than 3.2GB RAM in use was a panic.. :x

The condition leading to the panic could only occur with more than 2GB addressable memory, that's why I couldn't reproduce it with my setup.

Fixed with rev 25.

I have a question! Is it just a matter of repeating the steps outlined in post 71 in order to "upgrade" to rev. 25?

LesJen said:
I have a question! Is it just a matter of repeating the steps outlined in post 71 in order to "upgrade" to rev. 25?

If you did it like that, for an update:
Code:
$ cd /usr/src/syssvn/freebsd
$ svn up
$ cd sys/modules/iwnfw
$ make
$ make install
$ cd ../iwn
$ env CFLAGS=-I$PWD/../../ make
$ make install

bschmidt said:
Hi,

I do now have 4GB of RAM and the first thing I got when loading if_iwn.ko with more than 3.2GB RAM in use was a panic.. :x

The condition leading to the panic could only occur with more than 2GB addressable memory, that's why I couldn't reproduce it with my setup.

Fixed with rev 25.

Seems to work - I do some tests now. But I have another question, if I stop the network with /etc/rc.d/netif stop and start it later the system throws a panic. This has nothing to do with if_iwn, but is common behaviour since FreeBSD 8.0R (and stable) at least while using anything Wifi (if_rum, if_iwn, if_ath and if_wpi) .

Hi,

I have Toshiba U400 with Intel wireless 5100 and Marvell Yukon 88e8072 ethernet card and I have FreeBSD 8.0-RELEASE installed. BTW my ethernet card doesn't work and in forums they say that it should work with ACPI disabled, but FreeBSD doesn't boot in that case :). So if I have ethernet enabled in BIOS and try to load if_iwn all I have is kernel panic with no dump. If ethernet is disabled in BIOS I get error "could not allocate memory resource". May be I did something wrong...
BTW it works under OpenBSD but after some inactivity timeout the connection is lost. So I have two ways either send small packets (like ping) with some timeout or reconnect after connection is lost.
If you need some information like logs/dumps please let me know.

Thank You

rev. 25 made my card unable to connect. Wifi indicator blinking all the time, no signal strength at all. /var/log/messages says nothing! So in my case this was a downgrade :-(

Code:
wlan0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
        ether 00:16:ea:61:01:e8
        media: IEEE 802.11 Wireless Ethernet autoselect (autoselect)
        ssid "" channel 1 (2412 Mhz 11g)
        country US authmode WPA1+WPA2/802.11i privacy ON deftxkey UNDEF
        txpower 15 bmiss 10 scanvalid 450 bgscan bgscanintvl 300
        bgscanidle 250 roam:rssi 7 roam:rate 5 protmode CTS wme roaming MANUAL
        bintval 0

err0r said:
Hi,

I have Toshiba U400 with Intel wireless 5100 and Marvell Yukon 88e8072 ethernet card and I have FreeBSD 8.0-RELEASE installed. BTW my ethernet card doesn't work and in forums they say that it should work with ACPI disabled, but FreeBSD doesn't boot in that case :). So if I have ethernet enabled in BIOS and try to load if_iwn all I have is kernel panic with no dump. If ethernet is disabled in BIOS I get error "could not allocate memory resource". May be I did something wrong...
BTW it works under OpenBSD but after some inactivity timeout the connection is lost. So I have two ways either send small packets (like ping) with some timeout or reconnect after connection is lost.
If you need some information like logs/dumps please let me know.

Thank You

You should get at least a message while being on console.

There is another problem, while using the driver (rev25) I saw several checksum errors while downloading and installing different ports. I can reproduce this 'garbage' after 1-2 hours.

Ok, I had a panic half an hour ago, about bounce pages not being allocated. Smells like a wrong DMA tag is used somewhere or incorrect alignment.

oliverh said:
There is another problem, while using the driver (rev25) I saw several checksum errors while downloading and installing different ports. I can reproduce this 'garbage' after 1-2 hours.

Might be related to the above, if a wrong DMA tag or map is used, memory gets totally cluttered.

Working on that.

I'm working on an overhaul of the bus_dma*() related stuff, actually I missed quite a few bits while merging Sam's and OpenBSD's code. Sorry for that.

It looks promising, just needs some clean up and another few hours of testing before I commit it.

Keep up the good work! I've been using this driver and so far it's ok besides the restarts (which seems that you might have find the issue)

great! thank you very much for your work.
i will test the driver the next days, i go with 5300AGN, lets see what the results are.

25 ist working

Hello,

Lenovo Thinkpad W500, Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 5300, FreeBSD 8.0 stable

Rev. 25 ist the first revision which is working without any visible problems on my Thinkpad.

All revs < 25 had problems with unreliable connections.

Thank you very much!

.//. Arne

I don't know if it's of any use but I got this when I tried to "ifconfig wlan0 down"

Code:
wpa_supplicant [397]: Failed to disable WPA in the driver

bschmidt said:
I'm working on an overhaul of the bus_dma*() related stuff, actually I missed quite a few bits while merging Sam's and OpenBSD's code. Sorry for that.

It looks promising, just needs some clean up and another few hours of testing before I commit it.

Finally committed. Please give it a try and let me know how it works.

Thanks

Did some tests for almost 2h now. Almost 45 min download at full speed (DSL 1.7MiB/s) and at the same time lots of network traffic. So far so good, I didn't experience any drops of the connection, slow downs or data garbage.

[addendum]now over 4h without any problems and heavy traffic :)

Hi,

I compiled and loaded rev. 26 today, it works very well with wpa_supplicant on a WPA TKIP network (rev. 25 made the computer freeze).

My hardware:
Code:
iwn0@pci0:5:0:0:        class=0x028000 card=0x13018086 chip=0x42328086 rev=0x00 hdr=0x00
    vendor     = 'Intel Corporation'
    device     = 'Carte Intel WiFi Link 5100 AGN (Intel WiFi Link 5100)'
    class      = network

Init code:
Code:
kldload ./iwn5000fw.ko
kldload ./if_iwn.ko

Dmesg:
Code:
iwn0: <Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 5100> mem 0xfeafe000-0xfeafffff irq 18 at device 0.0 on pci5
iwn0: MIMO 1T2R, MoW, address 00:22:fb:b7:43:ea
iwn0: [ITHREAD]
iwn0: 11a rates: 6Mbps 9Mbps 12Mbps 18Mbps 24Mbps 36Mbps 48Mbps 54Mbps
iwn0: 11b rates: 1Mbps 2Mbps 5.5Mbps 11Mbps
iwn0: 11g rates: 1Mbps 2Mbps 5.5Mbps 11Mbps 6Mbps 9Mbps 12Mbps 18Mbps 24Mbps 36Mbps 48Mbps 54Mbps

However, tested for almost 15 min now :).

Rev 26 seems very stable, i am using it since you did the commit and i have zero issues. Rev 25 was almost unusable for me.

Another status report: after almost 12h - in 2 days - I haven't experienced any problems at all. Hope we will see this great driver in FBSD 8.1.

Back