Finding a MiniPC with good FreeBSD support for its graphics processor

This thread started as a question about what what was probably an unsupported miniPC, but I got impatient while waiting for a reply, so I did a little more searching, and stumbled onto this post while searching the FreeBSD Forums for a FreeBSD-compatible miniPC:

I am using a Mini PC for my daily work and love the little thing.

It's a Minisforum UM560 XT and I'm running FreeBSD 14.0 Release on it as a Desktop computer with KDE Plasma.
Everything works fine for me. Suspend/Resume is no problem and the little thing is super fast.

A bit about the Hardware:
AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 6 Core 12 Thread
AMD Radeon Vega 7 RX iGPU. This is way way better than any Intel integrated stuff.
32 GB Ram
520 GB PCI ssd

And the best thing it is super quiet. Most of the time I can not hear it. To make it's fan audible I have to put some heavy load on it.

The only thing I have not worked out yet is audio. It has one of this combined Speaker/Headset sockets and so far no luck with
making it work. But will get there only takes a bit longer. In the meantime I use a USB Sound card. This one worked out of the box.

Here are a couple of links with more infos:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeKPvSiNaWM

I have just recently installed FreeBSD onto Beelink SER5 with AMD Ryzen 5560U and RX Vega7 and it works (almost) like a charm.

The only missing piece so far is sound, the system detects the sound card fine and shows no errors yet there is no sound when playing music or video.
I guess it requires some tinkering with /boot/device.hints but so far I worked around this by using a USB-C to 3.5mm adapter for which there is a handy USB-C port in the front right near the line-in jack.

Other than that it works great, quite powerful and very quiet overall.

FreeBSD 14.0 RELEASE works on this mini pc:

Fujitsu Esprimo Q556/2
Core i5 7400T
8 GB RAM
500 GB SSD (SATA)
Intel HD Graphics 630
Gigabit Ethernet LAN (no wifi)

I bought it as a refurbished pc two weeks ago and everything works very well ... no problems at all ...

Back