Other File System (Help)

Hi, Im doing a work for school and i need to talk about File System, and i choiced FreeBSD to talk about it.
Do you guys know what kinda File System FreeBSD use? Its kinda a dumb question, sorry.

Here you will find a lot to talk about. FreeBSD does not use this, but for a school project this is already overkill.

Reactions: a6h
I think FreeBSD uses a subsystem called geom() to manage storage devices (e.g. disk, usb mass storage, sd card). On these devices are (can be) file systems. File systems are supported by kernel modules (drivers). E.g. to use fat* file systems, you need the msdosfs driver (see msdosfs()). To use linux file systems, you need to install a package, and then load the relevant driver into the kernel, e.g. with kldload. you can check for those modules with e.g. kldstat -v | grep msdos, or kldstat -v |grep ufs.
File systems can then be mounted with mount(). Once mounted, you can access the files of that file system.

These are the file systems that fstyp() recognizes.
Code:
           cd9660
           exfat
           ext2fs
           geli
           msdosfs
           ntfs
           ufs
           zfs

I think a default installation uses a msdos (fat32?) file system for early boot (for compatibility?), and then either ufs2, or zfs for the rest (kernel, userland).

The file /etc/fstab shows what file systems are mounted automatically at boot. mount shows what file systems are mounted at the moment.

A native FreeBSD file system is probably ufs, see: UFS on wikipedia

At what level of school? Are we talking about a 10 minute presentation in high school, a week-long project for an undergraduate (bachelor), or a semester-long for a graduate seminar?

The so-called "daemon book" (Marshall Kirk McKusick et al., Design and Implementation of the FreeBSD Operating System) has ample detail about the two main file systems: UFS, which is native to BSD and therefore FreeBSD, and ZFS, which is the other main one the FreeBSD uses, and started its life as part of Sun (now part of Oracle). There is enough material there for a one-semester graduate group project.

For something quick, the Wikipedia page on UFS is a starting point. I don't know of a concise overview of UFS.

At what level of school? Are we talking about a 10 minute presentation in high school, a week-long project for an undergraduate (bachelor), or a semester-long for a graduate seminar?

The so-called "daemon book" (Marshall Kirk McKusick et al., Design and Implementation of the FreeBSD Operating System) has ample detail about the two main file systems: UFS, which is native to BSD, and ZFS, which is the other main one the FreeBSD uses.
We are talking about a 10 minute presentation, and i need to talk about BSD System File, in this case I will talk about UFS and ZFS, for what you told me :)!
I will search for them, thank you a lot, and the others one too!

Back