File Manager for FreeBSD

Interesting! Thank you. And why do you replace its wm with fvwm?

My fvwm configuration was developed for over 7 years. I find it much easier to use than any other WM out there.
In fact I started using xfce not so long time ago (few months), just to have all the features of desktop environment.

Basically xfce is extension for my fvwm config and not the other way around ;)

I had semi-consistent crashes in thunar while renaming files. I searched Internet and found it was a known issue, but seems no clear resolution. So I moved to xfe.

I'm usnig fvwm with pcmanfm. So far it is working quite reliably and doing all I want. And since I don't want the "desktop integration" features cause they give me nothing at all, it's all right.
Don't remember if I used thunar or not, but finally I stopped my choice with pcmanfm and am quite happy. To some reasonable extent it does have those desktop features.

I ran pcmanfm under FreeBSD, used jwm as the window manager and pcmanfm as the filemanager along with pcmanfm --desktop to provide desktop icons. Currently under OpenBSD however I'm running xfe which includes xfw text editor and a images viewer. A little awkward at first moving from pcmanfm, but soon got used to it. My entire installation is base OpenBSD and ...

firefox-esr
libreoffice
mpv
mtpaint
xfe

which serves all my needs (I use twm windows manager that comes as part of the X11 within the base system).

Did try fvwm for a bit (that's also in the base system), however I hit problems with having numlock on for doing things like spreadsheet work and (control) buttons/keys not working until only after numlock was deactivated that made it pretty much unusable for my layout desire/purposes. I particularly like twm's tab sized window titles rather than full width, as with tabs even when maximised a window still has some desktop space to the right of the tab that you can click to bring up the menu (I also have right click set to show the 'tasklist' (iconmanager), making for easy launching/switching.

My entire installation is base OpenBSD and ... I hit problems with having numlock on for doing things like spreadsheet work
In FreeBSD and fvwm version 2 I don't seem to have any problems with keyboard keys. OpenBSD base system, BTW, includes fvwm version 1, which is outdated and limited.

Thanks. I did see the later version of fvwm in the repositories but never installed it. twm meets my needs and gets me away from my prior primary boot of Debian (and systemD).

Back