File Manager for FreeBSD

Can someone point me to a graphical file manager, also maybe with the capabilities of recognizing mime types and appropiate applications on freebsd?

Worker works best for users used to Amigas DirectoryOpus. It resembles its interface and not this crappy Norton Commander look-alikes. So I think it's a matter of 'where you come from'. I started in the early 90s with Irix, so I have for example a different concept of a desktop than many people nowadays. That said, Gentoo works similar to Worker, but I prefer Worker, sometimes mc or just a nice console :)

A unix classic is misc/mc, aka midnight commander. It is a highly configurable, 2 panel file manager that also supports ftp, sftp and shell file transfers. It is configured for a number of mime types out of the box and runs in either a tty or a x-terminal.

A unix classic is misc/mc, aka midnight commander. It is a highly configurable, 2 panel file manager that also supports ftp, sftp and shell file transfers. It is configured for a number of mime types out of the box and runs in either a tty or a x-terminal.

I think it was 1994/95 when MC came out and I use it all those years, uh :)

Thank you all for sharing. There are lots of them and it's impossible to try each, so your feedback is very useful.

Could you, please, point to those among them which support viewing SMB shares? I personally use x11-fm/pcmanfm and it does it through GVFS, and also does MIME types etc.
Now do any of those mc-like file browsers support viewing SMB shares somehow, I wonder? That is, without previously mounting them via command line. Because mount_smbfs is somewhat limited as to the SMB protocol versions it supports.

I could even live without MIME types, but SAMBA viewing seems to be essential. And that it wouldn't pull in the whole GNOME DE with it.

Well, thankfully, misc/mc does support SMB. And a funny ancient program it is, I like it. Fits in well with my FVWM(2) desktop configuration, where I install minimum of desktop gimmicks and which I prefer over DEs ...

However, mc has this problem displaying SMB share: it doesn't recognize Russian cyrillic symbols, replaces them with "???". And Options --> Display bits settings can't help it.

Is this the setting you tried?:cyrillic text in mc. Did you also set the shell as described in section 3.5 of the same page?

I also had some symbols that did not display correctly in the panel title bars/borders. Changing the "skin" fixed it.

No, iI didn't specifically set it, but it is set there. Shell is bash, haven't set that... And it doesn't fail with ALL Cyrillic names, just with some... I'll see if that bash setting will help. Will also try xterm instead of urxvt.

EDIT: nope, doesn't help, neither changing to xterm helps. The funny thing is it is just some names in Cyrillic aren't displayed, other (local) ones are displayed all right.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back