• Other

Votes: 32 74.4%
  • Antix

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
@ $DAYJOB: CentOS/Rocky.

If you're supporting running 3rd party vended apps, you are frequently limited to RedHat derivatives if you want to get any helpful response (from the 3rd party) on issues, although we do have one vendor moving over to SUSE.

GNU/Linux Mint a long time ago, when I need to print something and are too lazy to find out how to get the printer running on FreeBSD

I quitted printing. no need in real life

@ $DAYJOB: CentOS/Rocky.

If you're supporting running 3rd party vended apps, you are frequently limited to RedHat derivatives if you want to get any helpful response (from the 3rd party) on issues, although we do have one vendor moving over to SUSE.
CentOS has been discontinued for more than a year by now... but some major (think Fortune 100) companies are still trying to hang on, because of sunk costs. At my $JOB, there's an Apache Tomcat server that needs to be updated, but that version been EOL since 2020... and updating THAT one is not a trivial task. I'm just on the sidelines, though, watching that info fly past me in emails.

In a former job we kept dead zombies alive.
This was virtualizing hardware, but just running all the sofware without any updates on the O.S. side or application side.
And performing like our noze where bleeding.
So we could run the oldest software on the newest hardware.
Offcourse in that environment security was zero.
Moral of the story. Upgrade O.S. and applications as needed. And there is also an obsolesce path.

Two things in this paragraph I don't fully agree with:
  • You don't necessarily have to learn yet another framework just to avoid systemd. Sysvinit is still an option. Of course, that one is kind of crappy as well, but at least it's crap you most likely already know :cool:
  • Systemd is easy, well, yes, as long as you don't need something "more special" (like e.g. running multiple instances of one service, BTDT) and nothing goes wrong (in my experience, it doesn't exactly make debugging easy). And then, there are design decisions that make failing in very weird ways more likely. My personal pet peeve, the standard mode of operation just launches some process and as long as it keeps running, the service is considered "up", no feedback whatsoever, not taking into account that many services take some time to be fully "up".

Well in context of my post I cannot agree with point #1 because if you're required to deliver a service that works with contemporary RHEL then choosing sysvinit is not an option.

For #2 I fully agree and after all, systemd is a desktop invention. They cared about boot time far more than they care about consistent service boot.

Interesting that nobody mentioned Fedora. I had it as my default OS for a few years. Before that Arch (very unstable IMHO) and before that Ubuntu (quality went down and now they push snaps everywhere). These days FreeBSD 13.2 at last looks to be fully suitable for my desktop usage. At the same time Fedora 38 broke something with NVidia drivers, so I switched my 2 main workstations at home to FreeBSD. I also have a few HomeTheater small computers and a few old laptops. Right now they all run Fedora 37. Would be nice to try FreeBSD on them but not before fast WiFi 802.11n fully works with FreeBSD.

After trying many linux distro's, systemd is the way.
There are linux distro's without systemd but they are all derivatives of distro's with systemd.

Interesting that nobody mentioned Fedora.
When I've first installed a GNU/Linux distribution was a RH product (Red Hat Linux 7.2 -Enigma) and I've used it till they ended the support (9-stable). Tried the "new and shiny" Fedora Core 1 to 3 and was the biggest piece of crap I've used. After that switched to Slackware till I've bought a book ("FreeBSD. Use, administration, configuration"). That book had a CD with FreeBSD (5.3) and since then with a few rebellious GNU/Linux periods is my main OS. Tried Fedora 17 in 2012 and was still that buggy crap from 2005. For me, Arch is more stable and reliable then the "community-based operating system" (a.k.a RH playground).

This can be a feeling of a home-user. But companies have different requirements. So they never go for arch.
Currently i use artix at home which is an arch release with openrc.
Once i proposed OS X version Y to my boss, and he answered this is not our company standard ...
Then it's hard to give an argument...

An interesting question is which distro do you always return at work of home. I always return to freebsd when not doing dotnet stuff.

CentOS has been discontinued for more than a year by now...

CentOS is dead. Long live Rocky, and AlmaLinux, both very active and (so far) successful projects that resurrect what CentOS was (a downstream binary-compatible version of RHEL) before “stream”.

I wish it wasn’t systemd, but alas. Makes me feel that much better when I get to use FreeBSD. ;)

Last ~5 years: Debian, both at home (on RPi) and at work.
Before that, I also had lots of RHEL (real ones with licenses). I think the last time I had a Linux desktop/laptop, it was Fedora, but that is ages ago (about 15-20 years).

My favorite distro is the one running in compat so I can game on FreeBSD. I don't care which one as long as it's jailed in compat. Wait a minute. I've just read that it's not running Linux...indont know... Nevermind. I guess I don't have one.

EDIT: My comment is completely useless. Sorry everyone. I misunderstood the masterfully crafted linuxulator in it's most basic purpose and function. Woah.

My favorite distro is the one running in compat so I can game on FreeBSD.
[...]
EDIT: My comment is completely useless.
Uhm. Not sure it really is. Of course, Neither a Linux jail nor the "compat overlay" will actually run "Linux", because strictly speaking, this is only the name of a kernel, and the FreeBSD kernel just implements the Linux syscalls. (That's also a reason the name GNU/Linux was suggested for the "whole OS", as most other base components typically come from the GNU project).

But then, everything "special" about any distribution is outside the kernel anyways. So might indeed be relevant which distribution you use to install a Linux jail, or for "compat". Going with the official Linux ports, you will have something similar to a "minimal" CentOS-7 in /compat/linux.

If I am going to use Linux and I had my own choice 90% of the time I’ll go with Debian testing or stable. I like gentoo as well but I remember having issues with portage “masking” and what not and all kinds of conflicts back when I used to use it many years ago. My first Linux distro was Red Hat (before they went commercial). I think I bought an official box that had a a few CDs and a basic manual either from CompUSA or Staples in 2001. I started my whole computer journey with Linux, I see no reason to bash it tbh. I think it has done the world a lot of good.

RedHat at work.

Fedora at home. Also at home numerous VMs (Alpine which I use fairly often, SuSE and kubuntu which I hardly ever use).

Pretty much all used mostly for development.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back