Favorite Editors

killasmurf86 said:
correct me If i'm wrong, but doesn't Single Unix Specification, say, that Unix has to have vi (or work-alike).
I know Linux/BSD aren't Unix

Yes the Open Groups Single UNIX Specification from Version 3 on does specify to have VI. Check it out at http://www.unix.org/, you will have to provide your name, email address, and location to view the specifications. killasmurf86, in my post I originally said UNIX :\

Guess what guys, I thought that FreeBSD was supposed to be SUS(Single Unix Specification) compliant, check it out http://www.freebsd.org/projects/c99/. At least it is trying to. I think I'll join the project.

rbelk said:
Guess what guys, I thought that FreeBSD was supposed to be SUS(Single Unix Specification) compliant, check it out http://www.freebsd.org/projects/c99/. At least it is trying to. I think I'll join the project.

FreeBSD is far behind any other BSDs project when it comes to implementation of c99. DragonFly is almost 100% clean of non c99 code. OpenBSD have also done great deal of code auditing.

Wow a lot more vim-guys in the crowd than I thought. I thought it would be a little more mixed up. :p. Well glad to see I'm not all alone then, vim is great!

Voltar said:
I am actually fond of pico, as bad as that sounds,
I used to feel the same way, until I got used to vi (NOT vim) and realized that I already knew the important keys from playing nethack.

There's still a lot of neat tricks you can do in simple vi that I'm not aware of how to do in other editors (eg. :<line number> to go to a specific line, instead if hitting "page down" or scrolling).
also, hitting <number><action> to repeat an action (eg 23dd to erase 23 lines of text) is also pretty neat as well.

Yes, there's no doubt vi is super.

How about commands like :10,15 w somefile to write (save) lines 10 to 15 only, or motion+operator couples like d$ to delete till the end of the line, or 10dk to delete 11 lines above and including the current, or 11~ to toggle the case of the next 11 characters, etc?
Plus these are all very simple commands once you understand how vi works, i.e. its logic, mnemonics, etc.

Also, you can make your life easier by adding
Code:
set leftright
set number
set ruler
and many other options to your /etc/vi.exrc

and
Code:
set showmode
set verbose
if you're still new to nvi and need some "pointers".

vim user here, and I love it.

I want to give yi a try as well, but it seems that we need a newer ghc port first before I can compile it.

At a FreeBSD console, it's ee. At a Linux console, it's nano/pico.

Personally, I can't stand (n)vi(m) or emacs or ed or anything like that. I don't edit text files enough at the console to bother memorizing a bazillion different keyboard shortcuts. Give me an easy to navigate menu system any day.

At an X11 GUI, it's Kate or KWrite, depending on if I need to edit just 1 file or multiple files at once.

And for non-plain-text documents (or text docs longer than a couple screens/pages), then it's WordPerfect anywhere I can get it to run, or OpenOffice.org.

[This would have been better as a poll.]

phoenix said:
And for non-plain-text documents (or text docs longer than a couple screens/pages), then it's WordPerfect anywhere I can get it to run, or OpenOffice.org.

[This would have been better as a poll.]

I used to run the Linux version of WordPerfect back in the day on BSD, I wish there was still a version to use on FreeBSD :(

And to keep on topic. ee and mcedit are the console editors I use the most. In X it's geany.

console - ee
lisp - emacs w/ slime + sbcl
config files/xml/text - gedit
c/c++ - codeblocks (+1 for awesomeness)
java - eclipse
perl - eclipse or gedit
random notes/planning - zim
geany - installed but not really used

I don't really subscribe to the idea there is One Perfect Editor, as is probably obvious :).
For some reason, vi just seems to get in MY way. I'm only saying that I *personally* avoid it when possible.
On a related topic, does anyone use anjuta?

I'm also fond of ee at the console. I tend to save mnemonic energy for stuff more worthwhile. I can handle vi, but it will never become a favourite of mine, and when I stand behind someone working in vi, I get cramps because of the amount of keystrokes needed to do basic stuff ...

DutchDaemon said:
and when I stand behind someone working in vi, I get cramps because of the amount of keystrokes needed to do basic stuff ...

Interesting, because I get that same feeling when I try to use ee. ;)

jrick said:
Interesting, because I get that same feeling when I try to use ee. ;)

At first, I thought that vi and Vim were hard to use because of all the commands, so I stuck with ee. Later on, I forced myself to learn vi and Vim. It takes a while to get used to, but I think Vim really is better than ee (I go berserk when I use ee now).

Back