Solved Failed to load module "Intel"

I have just installed xorg on a Lenovo ThinkStation M73 and get an error loading module 'Intel' when running startx.
drm-kmod is installed and loaded.
pciconf -lv reports that I have an Intel 4th Generation Integrated Graphics Controller.

Have I installed the wrong drivers?

Could any shed any light on the error?

Seeing all these threads mentioning xf86-video-intel and drm-kmod, I am really wondering if the 'intel' driver is really using the kmod, or is it the 'modesetting' driver only that does that.

Seeing all these threads mentioning xf86-video-intel and drm-kmod, I am really wondering if the 'intel' driver is really using the kmod, or is it the 'modesetting' driver only that does that.
To the best of my understanding, I think if you load the drm-kmod, X should be using modesetting. I could be wrong, but, that's my take on it.
One of my systems with no xorg.conf and loading drm-kmod, X log show intel, modesetting, scfb and vesa as autoconfigured drivers, but matching and loading modesetting.

drm-kmod has worked fine on my ThinkPads.

Not really sure which graphics chip is installed in the the ThinkCentre...

You didn't try it fully, search for the video group in there (and read the message from drm-kmod mentioning it as well, pkg info -D drm-kmod).

You didn't try it fully, search for the video group in there (and read the message from drm-kmod mentioning it as well, pkg info -D drm-kmod).
Not really sure what you are getting at... Do you mean browsing:-

where it mentions:-h

pw groupmod video -m joe

No, I mean checking official documentation (and not some unknown source) telling you to add your users to group 'video':

pkg info -D drm-kmod
I've The Handbook on numerous occasions although I can't claim to understand everything. I've been installing X many times and over the last few years never had any problems.

The command you suggested returns:-

drm-kmod-20220907_1

I'm running FreeBSD 13.1-RELEASE

The card used is from the Integrated Graphics Controller family which sounds fairly generic, so I'm not really sure what I need to install.

The command you suggested returns:-

drm-kmod-20220907_1
My bad, it's the slave port that has pkg-message:
Code:
$ pkg info -D drm-510-kmod
drm-510-kmod-5.10.163_7:
Please ensure that all users requiring graphics are members of the
"video" group.
The card used is from the Integrated Graphics Controller family which sounds fairly generic, so I'm not really sure what I need to install.
If i915kms driver attached, there is no need to install anything else. Just follow the documentation and add your user to group 'video'.

I have the i915kms installed and got the problem in the title. I've never previously added anything to the group video and have had no problems.

I guess I'll remove the pkg xf86-video-intel and see what happens, but don't expect anything will change.

Now getting:-

(EE) modeset(G0): drmSetMaster failed: Device busy

Let's see what Google has to say about that.

Then you never had accelerated graphics which drm-kmod is supposed to provide :)
I've always installed it to get a better resolution. I'm quite happy with text mode a lot of the time, but I would like to be able to use a browser on my ThinkCentre. I haven't had such a problem with any of my ThinkPads.

Now getting:-

(EE) modeset(G0): drmSetMaster failed: Device busy

Let's see what Google has to say about that.
No reference to FreeBSD. This is all I could find:-

But didn't see anything to help me...

Here are the specs for the M73 Tiny

It has a DP port for connecting to a monitor. I guess that won't be relevant will it?

I've just tried running startx on the same machine but booting FreeBSD from a USB stick and have not experienced such problems. X comes up without problem. One major difference is that Free is installed on UFS on the USB stick, but on ZFS on the hard drive of the M73.

Could ZFS have some bearing on the error I was seeing?

I'm running 12.4 and my issue was with mesa drivers which i resolved by building the amber branch to get their driver. I remember I had to comment the kld_list on the rc.conf file to get mine to work not sure if you've tried this out yourself.

I've just tried running startx on the same machine but booting FreeBSD from a USB stick and have not experienced such problems. X comes up without problem. One major difference is that Free is installed on UFS on the USB stick, but on ZFS on the hard drive of the M73.

Could ZFS have some bearing on the error I was seeing?
Oops, it isn't a ZFS partition, it's UFS, but booting is via UEFI. Not sure if that makes any difference...

Booting from a USB stick works fine, so I would like to compare Xorg.0.log from both systems to see if it sheds any light on what is going on.
Unfortunately, almost every line is different because of timestamps. Does anyone know if there is a way to get diff() to ignore some sections of a line when doing comparisons?

I'm running 12.4 and my issue was with mesa drivers which i resolved by building the amber branch to get their driver. I remember I had to comment the kld_list on the rc.conf file to get mine to work not sure if you've tried this out yourself.
I commented out kld-list to see if it made any difference, but it didn't.

I've always installed it to get a better resolution. I'm quite happy with text mode a lot of the time, but I would like to be able to use a browser on my ThinkCentre. I haven't had such a problem with any of my ThinkPads.

Do you have the DRM-KMOD driver loaded at boottime? I.e. do you have something like this in your /etc/rc.conf:
Code:
kld_list="i915kms"
?

Do you have the DRM-KMOD driver loaded at boottime? I.e. do you have something like this in your /etc/rc.conf:
Code:
kld_list="i915kms"
?
Yes, I've include this line in all my laptops for several years, but for some reason startx will run on this Lenovo ThinkCentre when booted from one device, but not from another. I'm trying to figure out what could be the difference. Not sure where to look.

Yes, I've include this line in all my laptops for several years, but for some reason startx will run on this Lenovo ThinkCentre when booted from one device, but not from another. I'm trying to figure out what could be the difference. Not sure where to look.
Do you have files installed under /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d? If so, what are they?

Back