Experimenting with Hello System

I am new to FreeBSD. I recently came across a desktop version for Free BSD 12.2 called Hello: Hello System

It is a "Desktop system for creators with focus on simplicity, elegance, and usability. Based on FreeBSD. Less, but better!"

Has anyone had success with this? I am trying to install it using a virtual machine. After installing it shows the terminal screen. I don't know how to load the desktop from here. I don't see any instructions on their website.

If anyone has tried this please share your insights. Thanks!

I am new to FreeBSD. I recently came across a desktop version for Free BSD 12.2 called Hello: Hello System

It is a "Desktop system for creators with focus on simplicity, elegance, and usability. Based on FreeBSD. Less, but better!"

Has anyone had success with this? I am trying to install it using a virtual machine. After installing it shows the terminal screen. I don't know how to load the desktop from here. I don't see any instructions on their website.

If anyone has tried this please share your insights. Thanks!

What virtual machine did you use? What host OS?

I used balena etcher to create a bootable usb. But when I try to boot the screen stays black. Nothing happens. I tried the 13.0 version.

happy-yoga , please be aware that FreeBSD 13 is the next version of FreeBSD, i.e. it is the development branch. Likewise, the Hello Desktop is brand new and thus neither stable nor ready for day-to-day use by mere mortals. That is the goal, but reaching towards it has just been started. Of course, if you want to help e.g. by testing and submiting bug reports, go on with it.

Why VirtualBox? It seems like this project aims to be more of a primary system than just sticking it in Virtual Box where performance is always shit, let's face it.

I love this project, and I hope it does well. But if it's just going to be treated like some sheepshaver hobby, that's not going anywhere.

What do you mean?
1635624482565.png

happy-yoga , please be aware that FreeBSD 13 is the next version of FreeBSD, i.e. it is the development branch. Likewise, the Hello Desktop is brand new and thus neither stable nor ready for day-to-day use by mere mortals. That is the goal, but reaching towards it has just been started. Of course, if you want to help e.g. by testing and submiting bug reports, go on with it.
Using FreeBSD13 as daily desktop and it is rock stable.
(Just have hit one very specific dlang-dub bug crashing the kernel which should not happen).
I would even use FreeBSD as server which is not mission critical & not under high pressure.

Why VirtualBox?

lonestar for other users, a link would have been more helpful than a screenshot.

An answer to your question was in the opening post at <https://github.com/helloSystem/hello/discussions/219#discussion-3630421>:

Failure to share the clipboard is a significant hindrance to testing and feedback.

If you meant, "Why do I use VirtualBox?", the answer is:
  • I use VirtualBox to test and provide feedback
– use of virtual machines to test software is not uncommon.

Back