Experimenting with Hello System

happy-yoga

I am new to FreeBSD. I recently came across a desktop version for Free BSD 12.2 called Hello: Hello System

It is a "Desktop system for creators with focus on simplicity, elegance, and usability. Based on FreeBSD. Less, but better!"

Has anyone had success with this? I am trying to install it using a virtual machine. After installing it shows the terminal screen. I don't know how to load the desktop from here. I don't see any instructions on their website.

If anyone has tried this please share your insights. Thanks!

aponomarenko

I am new to FreeBSD. I recently came across a desktop version for Free BSD 12.2 called Hello: Hello System

It is a "Desktop system for creators with focus on simplicity, elegance, and usability. Based on FreeBSD. Less, but better!"

Has anyone had success with this? I am trying to install it using a virtual machine. After installing it shows the terminal screen. I don't know how to load the desktop from here. I don't see any instructions on their website.

If anyone has tried this please share your insights. Thanks!

What virtual machine did you use? What host OS?

grahamperrin

OP
H

happy-yoga

I used balena etcher to create a bootable usb. But when I try to boot the screen stays black. Nothing happens. I tried the 13.0 version.

grahamperrin

Mjölnir

Daemon

happy-yoga , please be aware that FreeBSD 13 is the next version of FreeBSD, i.e. it is the development branch. Likewise, the Hello Desktop is brand new and thus neither stable nor ready for day-to-day use by mere mortals. That is the goal, but reaching towards it has just been started. Of course, if you want to help e.g. by testing and submiting bug reports, go on with it.