Epson L6460 printer issues (was: Unable to find LSB package)

One idea that I have is that maybe your browser blocks pop-ups. To get to the CUPS homepage on localhost, you usually get a pop-up that lets you log in and manage the printers. Correct credentials there are the root credentials for the machine.

You get a login prompt when trying to change settings, but the CUPS web interface home page on localhost:631 doesn't ask for anything when you load it. It's not a JavaScript issue either, I tried with JS blocked and it still loads properly.

The distinction of the error is important, is it a "connection timed-out", or a "connection refused"? Timed out means it sent a SYN packet but nothing responded. This is usually a firewall issue (firewalls tend to 'drop' packets). A connection refused means it received a RST after a SYN. This typically happens if you try to connect to a 'closed' port, i.e. the service isn't running or bound to the wrong IP address.

The distinction of the error is important, is it a "connection timed-out", or a "connection refused"? Timed out means it sent a SYN packet but nothing responded. This is usually a firewall issue (firewalls tend to 'drop' packets). A connection refused means it received a RST after a SYN. This typically happens if you try to connect to a 'closed' port, i.e. the service isn't running or bound to the wrong IP address.
Hi

Connection Timed-out.

Already disabled ipfilter.

Checked with nmap, port 631 is in state FILTERED.

Thanks
rraj

Any of the other firewalls enabled perhaps? How did you disable IPFilter? Please post your rc.conf.

This is often an indication of a firewall.
Contents of rc.conf:
Code:
clear_tmp_enable="YES"
syslogd_flags="-ss"
sendmail_enable="NONE"
hostname="localhost.localdomain"
local_unbound_enable="YES"
sshd_enable="YES"
moused_enable="YES"
ntpd_enable="YES"
powerd_enable="YES"
# Set dumpdev to "AUTO" to enable crash dumps, "NO" to disable
dumpdev="AUTO"
wlans_iwm0="wlan0"
ifconfig_wlan0="WPA SYNCDHCP"
create_args_wlan0="country IN regdomain FCC4"
pf_enable="YES"
pf_rules="/etc/pf.conf"
pf_flags=""
pflog_enable="YES"
pflog_logfile="/var/log/pflog"
pflog_flags=""
dbus_enable="YES"
hald_enable="YES"
kld_list="i915kms"
kld_list="/boot/modules/i915kms.ko"
#gdm_enable="YES"
#gnome_enable="YES"
clamav_freshclam_enable="YES"
clamav_clamd_enable="YES"
ossechids_enable="YES"
tor_enable="YES"
polipo_enable="YES"
#slim_enable="YES"

tor_setuid="YES"

#ipfilter_enable="YES"             # Start ipf firewall
#ipfilter_rules="/etc/ipf.rules"   # loads rules definition text file
#ipv6_ipfilter_rules="/etc/ipf6.rules" # loads rules definition text file for IPv6
#ipmon_enable="YES"                # Start IP monitor log
#ipmon_flags="-Ds"                 # D = start as daemon
                                  # s = log to syslog
                                  # v = log tcp window, ack, seq
                                  # n = map IP & port to names
#gateway_enable="YES"              # Enable as LAN gateway
#ipnat_enable="YES"                # Start ipnat function
#ipnat_rules="/etc/ipnat.rules"    # rules definition file for ipnat
static_arp_pairs="gw"
static_arp_gw="192.168.1.1 00:01:02:03:04:05"
#blacklistd_enable="yes"
#sddm_enable="YES"
cupsd_enable="YES"
devfs_system_ruleset="system"

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not a good idea to have two firewalls running at the same time.

By the way, you can do a bit of cleaning in your rc.conf:

kld_list="i915kms" kld_list="/boot/modules/i915kms.ko"
... these two lines do the same, you can remove the second one.

hald_enable="YES"
... hald doesn't exist anymore, you can remove this.

It's not a good idea to have two firewalls running at the same time.

Indeed, and I gather support for ipfilter is very thin on the ground by now. pf would need informing about cups.

By the way, you can do a bit of cleaning in your rc.conf:

kld_list="i915kms" kld_list="/boot/modules/i915kms.ko"
... these two lines do the same, you can remove the second one.

Well only the second one is now active, rc.conf being just sh(1) code, sourced by /etc/rc.

The second line is more likely right for FreeBSD 12.x, the first for 13.x -- as I found out the hard way, then on 12.3. rraj hasn't said?

hald_enable="YES"
... hald doesn't exist anymore, you can remove this.

... for which we give thanks.

Hi

Disabled pf & stopped it. Now I am able to login. When adding my printer get following error:
Code:
[HEADING=1]Add Printer EPSON_L6460_Series Error[/HEADING]
Unable to get list of printer drivers:

[QUOTE]
No error: 0
[/QUOTE]

Already have gutenprint installed.

Thanks
rraj

Hi

Disabled pf & stopped it. Now I am able to login. When adding my printer get following error:
Code:
[HEADING=1]Add Printer EPSON_L6460_Series Error[/HEADING]
Unable to get list of printer drivers:

[QUOTE]
No error: 0
[/QUOTE]

Already have gutenprint installed.

Thanks
rraj
NOW that CUPS is up and running, it is a good time to go back up this thread, and look at OpenPrinting link I gave you earlier. Hopefully your printer is there, and has a CUPS driver :)

NOW that CUPS is up and running, it is a good time to go back up this thread, and look at OpenPrinting link I gave you earlier. Hopefully your printer is there, and has a CUPS driver :)
Well, at least there is a port of the manufacturer's Linux "driver", using the linuxulator ... and this should come with PPDs, so you can just add the printer in CUPS. I thought OP had already installed this port. If so, I unfortunately have no idea what "Unable to get list of printer drivers" should mean :-/

Hi

My printer is not listed in OpenPrinting link you provided.

Thanks
rraj

Hi

Used linuxulator to install printer drivers provided by manufacturer (rpm files).

Still the same error as before.

lpinfo --include-schemes dnssd -v, does not yield anything i.e. back to prompt.

Does that mean 'Bonjour' is not supported by my Printer?

Thanks
rraj

Hi

Used linuxulator to install printer drivers provided by manufacturer (rpm files).

Still the same error as before.

lpinfo --include-schemes dnssd -v, does not yield anything i.e. back to prompt.

Does that mean 'Bonjour' is not supported by my Printer?

Thanks
rraj
You might want to look at your printer's manufacturer-provided documentation to figure that one out. One place that might help is is Wikipedia explanation of the Bonjour service: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonjour_(software) . Most likely, your printer does support Bonjour, but manufacturer docs might refer to it by a different name - ZeroConf, mDNSResponder, and the like - the wikipedia article provides more clues. Another term to pay attention to is Avahi - it's another implementation of the same protocol, available as net/avahi in ports. Same capabilities, different name. So, check to see that you have Avahi installed. :)

I would really not recommend that. That's why I suggested you use the port of the original (Linux) driver instead, see earlier in the thread. This will make sure the filter is installed where CUPS on FreeBSD expects it and all dependencies (linux-c7-* ports) are installed as well.

I would really not recommend that. That's why I suggested you use the port of the original (Linux) driver instead, see earlier in the thread. This will make sure the filter is installed where CUPS on FreeBSD expects it and all dependencies (linux-c7-* ports) are installed as well.
Hi

Having epson FreeBSD port installed did not help either!

Thanks
rraj

Having epson FreeBSD port installed did not help either!
Just installing some rpm will most likely make it worse though.

It's the same software. But the FreeBSD port should already make sure it's installed correctly. So the problem is most likely something else....

UPnP is already installed!
ummm... if you look for upnp on ports.freebsd.org, you'll get many hits, including devel/upnp... which ones exactly do you have installed? Please post the output of pkg info | grep upnp... The UPnP SDK is definitely not what you need. Stuff like net/gssdp or net/gupnp are a better bet to satisfy the dependencies... Avahi should be installed, it's a CUPS dependency... Also, the ports do have separate packages for Epson printers, just look for epson on ports.freebsd.org...

Ah, you might want to use the word localhost, instead of the IPv4 address... have you tried that?

Oh, and one more thing: Is the CUPS server even running?
Code:
# service cupsd status
# service cupsd restart
Hi

Both localhost & 127.0.0.1 work & lead to same as error as before.

CUPS server is running.

Thanks
rraj

ummm... if you look for upnp on ports.freebsd.org, you'll get many hits, including devel/upnp... which ones exactly do you have installed? Please post the output of pkg info | grep upnp... The UPnP SDK is definitely not what you need. Stuff like net/gssdp or net/gupnp are a better bet to satisfy the dependencies... Avahi should be installed, it's a CUPS dependency... Also, the ports do have separate packages for Epson printers, just look for epson on ports.freebsd.org...
Hi

root@localhost:~/Desktop # pkg info | grep upnp
miniupnpc-2.2.4 UPnP IGD client lightweight library
upnp-1.14.15,1 Universal Plug and Play Software Development Kit

Installed net/gssdp & net/gupnp. Avahi is also installed.

Separate port for epson is already there.

Thanks
rraj

Back