Environmentalist

Not only on this forum.
The "FreeBSD community" appears to be a gang of old friends who just don't want their habits to be disturbed and use most of their energy to explain newcomers how wrong they are.

Not only in this forum, but not restricted to FreeBSD.

You speak about "FreeBSD community", judges it, but forget that users of FreeBSD are persons.

And yes, there is a lot of fanatical people. Fanaticism toward Operating System, Religion, Politics,
Football Team, etc. They need a "community" as their identity, because perhaps they are
all identical (to the absolute nothing).

Anyone who's ever compiled anything. Will know, that then, whenever GCC or a newer version of this was pulled in as a dependency, even if 1 codec wanted it, it pulled in all kinds of unneeded stuff. GCC wasn't the only one that did this.

If you haven't compiled anything prior to FreeBSD 10, then you wouldn't know this, and think it's an exaggeration. And if you don't know this, either you were unaware, or never compiled anything, just went with packages. Actually it was over 14 hours, and using an x486, to an x586, to a 64bit prcessor made little difference in compiling times. Anyone whose started compiling it, then left for work, school, sleep, outdoors, would know they returned many times, and it was still compiling 14 hours later. Then, I compiled on Linux, it was also the same for FreeBSD, until that bloat got recognized. I don't forget that, leaving a computer for a long time, and tell people I spent that whole day installing a program.

On FreeBSD, when I say 14 hours, that's often until the build crashed. Necessity brought up the issue that, if 1 dependency can be switched out for one in base, to try that, and see if it finishes compiling without error. Sure, getting a successful install with a replacement compiler, doesn't mean it works completely, but it proves, that there's less for them to fix, and troubleshooting ALSA, Pulse audio, Potterisms and everything else under the sun. This got fixed soon after.

That's plain stupid. There were different Linux distributions, that said this was required, to build their system, and it because a tangled mismash, that wanted many different audio architectures, many different graphics systems, a graphics dependency would pull in an audio dependency, then back and forth.

Now GCC has a reasonable compile time, because they noticed why is it pulling in dependencies required by 4 different operating systems.

Depending on the port, it would compile anywhere from 15 seconds, to 15 minutes, to 2 hours to 4 hours to 8 hours. Previously, it was that, plus another >14 hours. As for GCC's binutils vs other utils, GCC's binutils actually are more capable of compiling more programs.

14 hours where the computer overheats and crashes, or the CPU makes noises doesn't waste energy, and time, where people could be learning about the program they installed, instead of wondering how to make installs simple and install options reproducible? I used to see on the donations page, how people would ask for hardware to compile ports. Simply, getting rid of that ridiculous bloat will negate much of their needs for newer hardware to compile.

FreeBSD is a little bit guilty of that, but it didn't cause that problem. It was able to be found because of FreeBSD.

It's also not all of Linux, it's components of it, that keep unnecessarily complicating things back up at every opportunity.

"I don't care" because I use packages. "It sounds made up" but I wouldn't know because I only have used packages. Even when packages were compiled under the improvements, did they run more smoothly. Some poor guy in Central Europe needed a super computer to compile ports regularly to have packages available for everyone to use.

Maybe, but it does not work without the kernel module: grep -i dpms /var/log/Xorg.0.log{,.old} | less
Code:
/var/log/Xorg.0.log:[    39.466] (II) intel(0): No DPMS capabilities specified
/var/log/Xorg.0.log:[    39.639] (**) intel(0): DPMS enabled
/var/log/Xorg.0.log:[    39.688] (II) Initializing extension DPMS
And nothing in Xorg.0.log.old, when I did not have the dpms(4) kernel module loaded explicitely via sysrc kld_list+=" dpms"

It does work without that kernel module. Proof:
Code:
[  9060.872] (**) NVIDIA(0): DPMS enabled
[  9060.878] (II) Initializing extension DPMS
I do not have the dpms(4) module loaded. The DPMS support is implemented by the respective Xorg driver (in my case that’s the nvidia module). The dpms(4) driver is only required for putting the screen into standby via the VESA BIOS when suspending the machine, and this only works if VESA support is present (my machine does not support VESA, so the dpms(4) module would not work anyway).

Just to be sure, I tried loading and unloading the dpms(4) module, and it didn’t make any difference whatsoever (I also get an error message in dmesg saying that VESA is not supported). The screen saver works fine without it. I don’t use suspend/resume on my workstation, though. By the way, I’ve got a UWQHD monitor that is rated 70 W (typ.), and in standby mode it goes down to 0.5 W. That’s quite a difference.

One final note: It was not my intention to bash Linux or anything, or call Linux “bloated” (I think that word is inappropriate). I’m using Linux myself for certain things, although my OS of choice is FreeBSD. What I described in my previous post was just what I observed, no more and no less. And of course, my observations are not representative.

Not only on this forum.
The "FreeBSD community" appears to be a gang of old friends who just don't want their habits to be disturbed and use most of their energy to explain newcomers how wrong they are.
That's what made me give up using FreeBSD: with such a mindset, hope is not permitted for FreeBSD to evolve in a sensible way.

I originally wrote a lengthy post here but i'll try to keep it short for once: I know what you mean. There sometimes are quite noticeable undertones of elitism but i wouldn't take it all that serious. It's even somewhat healthy as in preserving FreeBSDs identity and not suddenly becoming a Linux clone with a funky kernel. All in all i am not to negative about FreeBSDs overall outlook.

If one reads between the lines (when that's even required - some of the people i've spoken to were quite direct about it) a lot of people seem to be pretty welcoming in regards to the system evolving. It's just that this won't happen on it's own (for various reasons) which means there need to be people not only pushing for it but also putting in the required work to build prototypes and such. While FreeBSD is a very solid (and from what i've seen by now very easy to work with) base in my opinion with most puzzle pieces that would need to be put into place already existing any possible evolution will have to prove itself first and that's likely to happen outside of the base system (which i feel is quite sensible) so it might be a good idea to stick around and see what the future holds :)

That's what made me give up using FreeBSD: with such a mindset
Talk about bad technical decisions--basing it on comments on a forum you disagree with!

The problem I find, here lately, is the frequent posting by people who insist on going on about why other operating systems are better and why FreeBSD is the pits. If one were to go to any other OS forum and do the same thing, they, too, would be pounced on right away and one would whimper away with the same feeling.

The reason I've always liked this one is that there was little of that--again till lately. The subject was always FreeBSD with little concern for anything else. If I was concerned with something else, I'd use something else. If you're concerned about something else, leave us alone and go use that.

I really, really don't want this thread to go off track now.

Like I documented in the howto mentioned above. I manually suspend to RAM ( zzz or via GUI), wait 15 minutes (UEFI/BIOS knob [0min...1h?]), then it suspends to disk via UEFI/BIOS methods (no OS involved). On battery, suspend is configured to happen automagically :cool:
There needs to be some special partition for this, I presume. Since I swapped out the disk in my laptop for an SSD, and did not add the correct partition, this might fail for me. Also, no UEFI as far as I can tell. And I have no interest in doing all that stuff again I used to transplant one ZFS based install right over.

Look in your BIOS. Search for IRST etc like what I wrote in the howto. You can use your existing swap partition and swap to ZFS ZVOL instead. No kernel dumps, though. Still too lazy to work out a patch... (procrastination daemons :/ ). BTW what happened to SirDice?

Not only on this forum.
That's what made me give up using FreeBSD: with such a mindset, hope is not permitted for FreeBSD to evolve in a sensible way.
A community needs values in order for it to persist. In FreeBSD, these values seem to be somewhat conserverative. You dismiss these values as mere "habits". But they root in real-world experience, as far as I can see. There is nothing worse than a conservative (in the best sense of the word) community being corroded by short-lived, modern-trendy, hipster-stuff.

I think that is why I personally like the FreeBSD community. It really is like a gang of old friends. Sure, if someone young and inexperienced comes in and starts misled arguments, they need a scolding like you would an unruly dog. It certainly doesn't mean you hate the dog, but you do need to stop it peeing on your curtains!

And if that is all that is wrong with our community I think we are doing pretty damn well :)

For example, compare this to the desolate Windows communities consisting of cheap phoneys and very little actual humans or compare it to the world of Linux where it is so fragmented that very few communities are even half the size of just the FreeBSD forums. As for Apple, I think humans need to be conscious in order to class as "part of a community" so I don't believe many of them can count. XD

GNU is ok. Linux in general isn't an issue.

Linux distributions were definitely beyond bloated. It's still inefficient. Linux distributions and many sub projects in the Linux world still have a culture of bloat. I don't have faith in many Linux affiliated projects. Whenever things get more efficient, they have a tendency to recomplicate things.

If they don't want to be called bloated, then they should make dependencies for a single features simple. 140MB for a documentation program?

Certain subsets of it still complicate things in ways that aren't efficient. I don't know if it's how they think, or if it's done on purpose.

I hope they do things better.

In the meantime, I'm going to re-study shell, and learn how to program in Rust. It may not be as useful to the FreeBSD ecosystem, but I want to start at the next thing. Then, learn C afterwards to provide lightweight replacements for some features on ports programs.

Additionally, I’d like to mention powerd(8) that can be configured via rc.conf(5). It is particularly useful on battery-driven devices (notebooks, laptops), but can also be used on regular PCs to save power and keep the CPU fan quiet. These are the settings on my workstation (Ryzen-7 2700):
Code:
powerd_enable="YES"
powerd_flags="-a adp -b adp -n adp -i 33 -r 66"
To find out which frequency/power levels are supported by your processor and driver, use this command:
sysctl dev.cpufreq.0.freq_levels

PS: Here’s a small & simple X11 tool called xcpufreq that displays the current processor frequency (as controlled by powerd(8) and the CPU usage.

(Yes, I know, it’s a quick hack, and I should make a port from it one day. For now, just put the executable somewhere, chmod +x it and run it. It requires a few Xorg libraries, but they’re most probably already installed; it’s nothing special.)

If you've given up, why are you still here? Normally this behavior would be categorized as trolling.

If you've given up, why are you still here? Normally this behavior would be categorized as trolling.
Split-brain: This article is about the human brain condition. For the phenomenon in computing, see Split-brain (computing). The truth is: eventually, he likes us :sssh: he just wants to stir up a little bit...

One thing I find disturbing about this forum is the number of religious extremists, who seem to be mostly spouting nonsensical statements that reflect their irrational hatred for other OSes.
I remember on the original FreeBSD forum, back in 2004-200x (I don't remember exactly. What was that called?), we used to always consider Linux to be kissing cousins. There was often back-and-forth technical discussion with them and they were welcome. One day, all of a sudden, we started getting more than the occasional troll coming over. Then there was the drifting away by Linux from the Unix philosophy. Then more trolls. And on and on. This is what I remember as the change from kissing cousins to the black sheep of the family and I remember the vollies starting from their side.

Stumbled late on this thread looking for hints on measuring or reducing power consumption. There's a point nobody seems to have noticed, that on laptops, battery wear depends on charge/discharge cycles, so it is desirable to reduce those. I'm off-grid, with solar powered 12volt supply. I have a 12 volt car typeC usb charger that supplies 5 volts 3 amps. Using another nameless OS I can be pottering about web browsing and editing text, and the charge increases from 30% to 80% in 3 to 4 hours. On FreeBSD the charge never goes positive, ie. the battery level just slowly goes down with a 15 watt charger connected.

I heard a discussion like this a while back only lightbulbs were the whippingboy. That ended abruptly when I asked how many of them left their computers running 24/7, unplugged their Xbox or anything with a vampire light, etc.

Carbon based lifeforms should have a carbon footprint. Where is the flaw in that logic?

Stumbled late on this thread looking for hints on measuring or reducing power consumption. There's a point nobody seems to have noticed, that on laptops, battery wear depends on charge/discharge cycles, so it is desirable to reduce those. I'm off-grid, with solar powered 12volt supply. I have a 12 volt car typeC usb charger that supplies 5 volts 3 amps. Using another nameless OS I can be pottering about web browsing and editing text, and the charge increases from 30% to 80% in 3 to 4 hours. On FreeBSD the charge never goes positive, ie. the battery level just slowly goes down with a 15 watt charger connected.
  • Did you tune your FreeBSD towards low energy consumption? Please look into the wiki (link above).
  • There's a nasty bug in some old BIOS's ACPI, that results in overly high power usage on FreeBSD. You can inspect sysctl dev.cpu.{0,1,2,3}.cx_usage, showing C0/C1/C2 CPU states of roughly the last ms. With average desktop usage, the 1st value (C0) should be well below 50%, and C1/C2 will be more or less even. If you see any abnormal values here, or a background task (e.g. plasma-desktop or kwin) has high CPU usage (check with top(1)), check sysctl machdep.idle_available and set sysctl machdep.idle=spin (or hlt; default is acpi). Put in sysctl.conf(5) or loader.conf(5) to persist.
  • Experiment with the options of powerd(8). My sysrc powerd_flags: -a adp -n adp -i 75 -r 96 -p 125 -N (-N is >= FreeBSD 12.2). If the -N option is available, set the periodic(8) jobs in the system crontab(5) to run nice(1).
  • Load your vendor's acpi(4) modules: ls /boot/kernel/acpi*|sed -E s'%(/boot/kernel/acpi_|\.ko)%%g' & sysrc kld_list+=" acpi_xyz".
  • Alas, the coretemp(4) kernel module can be helpful, and some old laptop's display require the dpms(4) kernel module to be loaded (adjust your GUI's X11 start command to load the Xorg dpms module, too). You can control the display brightness either with graphics/intel_backlight or the acpi_video(4) kernel module. Load the kernel modules like above, sysrc kld_list+=" ..."

I heard a discussion like this a while back only lightbulbs were the whippingboy. That ended abruptly when I asked how many of them left their computers running 24/7, unplugged their Xbox or anything with a vampire light, etc.
Yeah, it's called "fetish"; people get provided with fetishes they are supposed worry about, right here right now. And this is entirely disconnected from rational thinking; it is just ideology. In practice, things still work like the witchburns worked.
I'm wondering why indeed nobody seems to consider energy consumption of a desktop machine - all discussion is about laptop, and is only about battery consumption.

I love to run my machines 24/7 (or a least 16/7 - and anyway, when the thing is reachable from outside for smtp/http, it should actually be kept running), but then I try to care to have somehow a little more efficient hardware and config.
For instance, CPU: even a T-model (i5-3570T in this case) will continuously eat some 18W for the uncore:
Code:
                  Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570T CPU @ 2.30GHz
                       (Arch: Ivy Bridge, Limit: 36W)

18.92W [===================================>                               ]

Package:           Uncore:             x86 Cores:          GPU:
Current: 18.92W    Current: 18.20W     Current: 0.72W      Current: 0.00W
I was told this would be fixed in Haswell/Broadwell series, so now Im looking for one of those.

Other issue: disk spindown.
Many things (like databases, etc) are used only part-time. With a proper disk layout the disks could be stopped for most of the time.
But there it gets weird: disks have features like idle/standby/sleep and APM (these are two different things!), but they are highly individual per each drive model (and sparsely, or not at all, documented) - and some decision is necessary, because spindown goes against the disk-lifetime also (something between 10'000 and 300'000 is usually supported). So, I conclude: almost nobody is actually using these, otherwise they were better documented.

But the highlight, in that regard, is Mr. Tom Lane, chief developer of the postgres database (and certainly a very good engineer, otherwise). Postgres does continuously access the filesystem every five or ten minutes, for no reason at all. Or, more precisely, the reason given by the developers is: people might accidentially swap the disk with the database files, while keeping the database program running, and that might lead to data corruption, so the program checks every few minutes that the files are still there. :eek:
So, consequentially, for a database that is only used during business hours, disks will never spin down even if configured to do so. When I asked the developers if they really intend to achive this result, Mr. Tom Lane explained that given the decision to either protect the people from data corruption or otherwose support some moron who wants to spindown their disk, it is clear he must protect the people.
So, I don't know exactly how many sqare miles of rainforest Tom Lane kills per day, but given the popularity of postgres, and the fact that some disk manufacturers (e.g. Seagate) nowadays configure disks for auto-spindown already, I assume it figures to quite an amount...

So, thats what I mean with "fetish". "Environment" is a fetish, "CO2" is a fetish", "energy saving" is a fetish. People carry these fetishes around and think them important. But they don't spend a thought on what that actually would mean if one would apply some consequential, rational thinking. (Indeed, rational thinking is nowadays considered very nazi.) Instead, these fetishes are used for propaganda: to promote things where somebody can make real big money from: LED lights for houses, lithium batteries for cars, etc.

Carbon based lifeforms should have a carbon footprint. Where is the flaw in that logic?
Indeed, they do. And Maturana+Varela (famous systems-theory scientists) have shown that self organizing systems (which nature/creation certainly is) can only exist in a context of energy abundance.

But what is also true, is that this planet can only use the energy that it receives from that nice atomic reactor up in the skies - and that is a certain, very specific amount per day. (Otherwise you would need to do fusion or fission, and how that could be done cleanly has yet to be shown.)
So, I think it was already 50 years ago, I said that it is not a wise idea to burn all the oil that is fetched out of the ground - because that is something like a bank-account, an inheritance conserved over millions of years, and burning it up just because it's there, within only a few decads, is certainly very stupid.
But nowadays people come up with the climate-lie, and that is again a fetish. And yes, I say, 'climate-lie', because it is bullshit - it's just a consequential damage. If people would have listened to what I was saying 50 years ago, that problem would not have appeared.
But then, again, people do not consider to change behaviour and fix the problem. They just decide: if it does not work out to burn all the oil for sports, then lets instead kill all the lithium for sports! And that will turn out a lot worse, because that stuff does not grow in woods at all. We will have to fetch it from the asteroid belt later on.

You are right though. I do sometimes cringe at some gaming machines with a mish mash of randomly sourced parts. Though I guess those enthusiasts almost get a kick out of using up as much energy as possible. The more neon lights the better!
Hey I resemble that remark! Except for the neon lights. I hate that crap. Never even plug it in. I've found these guys

And I think their stuff is beautiful. I've bought a reservoir from them, and I think I'm going to buy a CPU waterblock next. Building desktop PCs is one of my hobbies. I need more victims that think they want one.

It's true that I'm old and set in my ways, but those ways are the fruit of decades of seeing fads come and go, and often having to deal with the wreckage left in their wake. When I was younger I thought I wasn't smart enough to understand why CORBA was going to solve all problems for everyone forever.

Now I live by the Nelson principle. When you do something I told you not to do and it blows up in your face, not only will I not help you, I will point and laugh.

I do worry that I'm missing some jewels hidden in the garbage, and do try to listen if the zealot is not too obnoxious. But it's really hard when they're really full of hubris and ignorance.

Hey I resemble that remark!
Haha. To be fair, I probably resemble that remark too. Though my stuff certainly doesn't look good. It is just old, inefficient and a mish mash of whatever I found in the bin that week ;)

Now I live by the Nelson principle. When you do something I told you not to do and it blows up in your face, not only will I not help you, I will point and laugh.

It is a good principle to have. Only if they try to get me involved (systemd, Wayland, pulse) do I have to try to escape!

I understand that this is an old post, but I think this statement is completely wrong and should be noted. IMHO, this forum seems very friendly to newcomers and most people here are doing a great job to help them.

Back