Enlightenment

After reading the above chapter on x11 I found myself at the x.org site since I was getting fatal error for which it was suggested that I do [CMD=]$ startx -- :1[/CMD]
When the system boots and ends at the graphical login I execute Ctrl+Alt+F1 which gets me to virtual console 0, then I login and execute Ctrl+Alt+F2 which takes me to virtual console 1, I login and execute $ startx -- :1 which gives me graphical desktop, if fluxbox is in .xinitrc I get that if enlightenment_start is in .xinitrc I get that. But this is a long process. I am not being able to get from the graphical login into window manager.

I don't really get it, but never mind that :)

Either edit your gdm config file, or set manually your session at login (is it Fn1 like in Slim ?... not really sure, I don't use a GUI login manager) or remove gdm and simply use startx command to launch X's - in your case E17 (or what ever you have in your xinitrc file).

There is no need to jump around virtual consoles to login to X.

With out gdm, it should look like following:

Press power button -> press ENTER to boot to FBSD (default) or just wait for 9 sec -> enter your user name -> enter your password -> type startx -> you're in X (E17/fluxbox or what ever you want).

You can always boot directly to X without login in (autologin) without login manager but that is another issue.

First of all thank you for all the guidance you have given me so far and for staying with me on this, hang in there just a little more and then I should have my desktop like it should be.

That is exactly what I thought would happen when I first installed Xorg and rebooted. I got right up to the twm after login and statx. Then I added Enlightenment as my wm since it is light. Now you have advised to edit my gdm config file. I do not know where that file is. What am I to edit? What am I to add or remove?

Why don't you reinstall (if you have time) FreeBSD and then follow Handbook step-by-step.
I would recommend to install first - any light WM (eg. fluxbox) and setup your system from there.

Then add E17 from ports.

Do not use "short cuts" any more ;)

I did not have to re-install. I found the solution :) There was no line in .xsession to give me wm. So I just added
Code:
fluxbox
saved it and voila, after my graphical login I was into fluxbox. Hallelujah!!
Then I removed fluxbox and added
Code:
/usr/local/bin/enlightenment_start
and voila once again, I got my enlighenment.
How come the .xsession file was blank?

nu2fbsd said:
I re-installed FreeBSD and then Xorg. I did the Xorg -configure too. Then I could not wait so I went ahead and executed the command
[CMD=""]pkg_add -r enlightenment[/CMD]
which gave me unable to fetch by URL, so I had to compile it from source with
[CMD=""]cd /usr/ports/x11-wm/enlightenment && make install clean[/CMD]
This worked and enlightenment was compiled from source.
Now when I execute
[CMD=""]/usr/local/bin/enlightenment_start[/CMD]
I get Enlightenment Error
Code:
Enlightenment cannot initialize its X connection
Have you set your display variable?
E17:Begin shutdown procedure!
SHUTDOWN
So I am still stuck. I executed [CMD=""]pkg_add -r xdm[/CMD] which installed xdm and now I am back to graphical login screen but when I login no Enlightenment window manager I am back to the login screen. So where have I gone wrong?

Hi, Sorry for Up this Topic but I have an other solution.
Simply add exec ck-launch-session enlightenment_start in your .xinitrc and its run.

To install themes simply put them in ~/.e/e/themes.

You can switch any aspect of a theme in settings -> themes, and hit the advanced button.

Remember that many older unmaintained themes will be at least partially incompatible with recent builds.

Posting this from my 8.2/E17 desktop

I know this is an ancient thread, but I am an avid E17 fan and would like to promote FreeBSD/E17 as a complete OS solution for Desktop and Server applications... I really hate needing to use multiple operating systems and have been working towards a BSD only workflow for myself for some time. My most recent adventure involves my Win7 laptop that I used for Android development getting a trojan and being rootkitted.... as a response I am working to install Gentoo/E17 in a Qemu instance on my FreeBSD 8.2 desktop so that I can run the Linux version of the Android SDK. I would have pursued the BSDroid avenue but it is clearly not stable on amd64 and I'm unwilling to live within 4GB of ram.

The reason I'm telling you this is I plan to this and two other features working on my desktop (sound and printing) and then I will be 100% Windows free, and only dependent on GNU licenses for my Gentoo instance and my compilers (CLANG is on my todo list at some point too).

I think it's important that some folks pursue the use of FreeBSD as a desktop operating system so as to fight it becoming compartmentalized to servers; something I believe has hurt this codebase already. And although I appreciate the efforts of the PC-BSD team; I do fancy the idea of there being one highly configurable distribution that can handle all use cases.

I plan to post in seperate threads any findings I have regarding this effort, but wanted to say here that E17 is a wonderful and stable WM that is BSD Licensed, so for anyone considering trying it, please do, and if possible let's all try to contribute something to it so that there can continue to be a stable, elegant, and truly free GUI to use with out stable, elegant and truly free OS.

Back