Dynamic WM

i used to use kde, gnome, xfce then went to ion.
however, i found dwm to be much preferable and have used it exclusively for several months.

It doesn't support Xinerama. When I used my laptop to give a talks
full screen mode would not work properly as applications are badly interacting with DWM. It has some dependencies so it is not going to be any lighter than twm in my experience despite less than 2000 lines of code.

Oko said:
It doesn't support Xinerama. When I used my laptop to give a talks
full screen mode would not work properly as applications are badly interacting with DWM. It has some dependencies so it is not going to be any lighter than twm in my experience despite less than 2000 lines of code.

DWM is supposed to support Xinerama, you have to uncomment the following lines in config.mk:
Code:
# Xinerama, un-comment if you want it
XINERAMALIBS = -L${X11LIB} -lXinerama
XINERAMAFLAGS = -DXINERAMA
Doesn't it work for you, Oko?

DWM doesn't have any other dependency than the X libs, as far as I know.

I've been using DWM since 0.3, and it as quickly become my favourite. I think that such a light _and_ powerful wm is a wonder. It really has a lot of functions, and has almost superseded ratpoison for me (which would be my second favourite). For instance, to be able to manage each particular windows in both (tiled or floating) modes is just a great thing. It lets you easily compensate the fact that some apps are inappropriate to tiling mode, like the gimp for instance, or firefox to a smaller extent.
The "tagging" system is extremely useful too. And I like the fact that this wm can be driven from the keyboard as well as from the mouse.

Well, my 2 pence...

I too used dwm.

Stopped using it when I got married and my wife started sharing the desktop (in comes KDE).

Nowadays I have a laptop running FreeBSD and ratpoison. Ratpoison seems interesting so I'll be investigating it for a while.

I've also used xmonad for a couple of months. Very nice also though it does have some big dependencies.

Tilling window managers are very useful for people who I like to open several terminals and like running full screen apps. Plus its a different approach to the desktop paradigm.

Philippe-Pierre said:
DWM is supposed to support Xinerama, you have to uncomment the following lines in config.mk:
Code:
# Xinerama, un-comment if you want it
XINERAMALIBS = -L${X11LIB} -lXinerama
XINERAMAFLAGS = -DXINERAMA
Doesn't it work for you, Oko?

DWM doesn't have any other dependency than the X libs, as far as I know.

I've been using DWM since 0.3, and it as quickly become my favourite. I think that such a light _and_ powerful wm is a wonder. It really has a lot of functions, and has almost superseded ratpoison for me (which would be my second favourite). For instance, to be able to manage each particular windows in both (tiled or floating) modes is just a great thing. It lets you easily compensate the fact that some apps are inappropriate to tiling mode, like the gimp for instance, or firefox to a smaller extent.
The "tagging" system is extremely useful too. And I like the fact that this wm can be driven from the keyboard as well as from the mouse.

Well, my 2 pence...

To be frank with you I played with dwm short period of time. I use OpenBSD version of CWM which is one of three different WM in the base of OpenBSD besides FVWM and TWM. In principle my main requirement that the wm is in the base of the system as I do not like to waist time on the installation of basic tools. That makes TWM almost perfect choice since it is shipped with X window system and is present on any Unix like system. On the another hand I really like what OpenBSD developers did with CWM and since I do use OpenBSD probably 99% of the time I have no real reason to go back to TWM.

WM: DWM 5.3 with a bit of hacking (custom colors, MPC key shortcuts, no resizeHints, small dwm.c hack to have click-to-focus instead of sloppy focus and also changed the displaying of the selected window title to normal text face instead of selected ( looked like crap and since you only have one title displayed at a time....what's the use of making it selected?! )
GTK: Modified Murrina Dark Theme ( added the green stuff so it goes better with my dwm colors )
STATUS: custom script displaying current MPD playing song/position/volume, AC adapter status and CPU temperature, Master volume and time )
Font: Terminus all the way smile
http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/1612/200901141301141280x800svf8.png
http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/3505/200901141307271280x800ssi7.png
http://img234.imageshack.us/img234/5890/200901141313371280x800scx4.png

P.S. As you might see the screenshot were taken on Archlinux...I just switched to FreeBSD 2 days ago :)

Not using DWM anymore, I use LarsWM

rota said:
If I install dwm from ports can I customize it?

it is possible. all you need is to point to your own config.h, when you run make in /usr/ports/dwm/

its done using the DWM_CONF knob. Something like this

Code:
make DWM_CONF=/path/to/your/config.h install clean

Back