Drivers for nvidia GTX 970 and set up freebsd resolution

Hi,

I am a new FreeBSD user and I just installed FreeBSD on my computer. My PC has 2 graphics processing units, one on the cpu(intel) and a gpu(nvidia). First time I set it up, I had some scaling problems with the display, eg the Intel GPU has a full HD resolution on xfce but the nvidia card hasn't. Is it a drivers problem? Is there a way to change the resolution of the system via the terminal?

Also, how can I get(if there are any) drivers for the GPU?

Thanks for your time!

For setting the desired resolution and other properties I recommend the x11/nvidia-settings package. It is very easy to use. It also displays various monitoring parameters, like the GPU temperature etc.

set desired resolution with xrandr according to Xorg configuration
It seems that there is something wrong with the xorg configuration on my pc, i am trying to change the resolution as stated but it cannot recognise my monitors resolution or its name either, its listed as default, not as hdmi or anything

For setting the desired resolution and other properties I recommend the x11/nvidia-settings package. It is very easy to use. It also displays various monitoring parameters, like the GPU temperature etc.
Hi! thanks for your response, i installed the port but unfortunately i cannot run it, i am trying both from the settings tab and cannot launch a windows and from the terminal i get an "ERROR: Unable to load info from any available system".

Is there a way to "touch" a.conf file or anything to change that?

Sounds weird

It seems that there is something wrong with the xorg configuration on my pc
Look in /var/log/Xorg.0.log

Why do you think the modification time of a file matters? These files are not read "on-the-fly", they're read when X starts. So if you've made changes to them restart X.

Hi! thanks for your response, i installed the port but unfortunately i cannot run it, i am trying both from the settings tab and cannot launch a windows and from the terminal i get an "ERROR: Unable to load info from any available system".

Well, the tool tries to contact Xorg’s GPU driver, i.e. the Nvidia driver. Are you sure that the Nvidia driver was loaded correctly? If it failed to load, Xorg will fallback to something else (VGA, VESA VBE, UEFI framebugger) – In this case, Nvidia-specific tools will not work.

Please check the contents of the /var/log/Xorg.0.log file, as SirDice has noted. It will tell you exactly which drivers were loaded, and the reasons for any failures.

I installed the packages mentioned above but now that i restarted the pc and it freezes after i log in and i "startx"
Look in /var/log/Xorg.0.log

Why do you think the modification time of a file matters? These files are not read "on-the-fly", they're read when X starts. So if you've made changes to them restart X.

Oh, right. No idea why SirDice mentioned the v340 legacy driver. The GTX 970 is supported since v343, and it is still supported by the current driver.
So, please remove the nvidia-driver-340 package and install the regular x11/nvidia-driver package.

It seems that there is something wrong with the xorg configuration on my pc, i am trying to change the resolution as stated but it cannot recognise my monitors resolution or its name either, its listed as default, not as hdmi or anything
Well, that may be because, as SirDice and olli pointed out, your nvidia driver isn't even loaded properly.

Hi all! Thanks a lot for your replies!

After a lot of thinking i decided to go to freebsd 13-current since following this video seemed okay for amd gpus but since i have nvidia, i decided to, instead of installing the drm-kmod since it mentioned nothing about nvidia, to follow these instructions .

Long story short i get a problem with startx saying that no screens found(EE).

I think i fixed the drivers issue since before that i would get a message saying there was an issue with framebuffers and according to the video, it happens because the system cannot see any drivers for the GPU, so i am guessing that this small issue is fixed.

Does anyone have an idea about the screen?

I am guessing that i need to do something similar on the xorg.conf.d directory, like create a new .conf file and include something about my monitor.

Is there a way to locate the monitor settings?

I tried xrandr to see any info about the display but i get a message "Cant open display"

Thanks for your time and hopefully this is the last issue with nvidia cards :)

I checked the log file and i get an error:
(EE) Failed to load module "nvidia-modeset" (module doesnt exist,0).
(EE)No drivers available.
Fatal server error:
(EE) no screens found(EE)

I checked the log file and i get an error:
(EE) Failed to load module "nvidia-modeset" (module doesnt exist,0).
(EE)No drivers available.
Fatal server error:
(EE) no screens found(EE)

EDIT:
i checked with kldstat and i see that the module is loaded

For my part, I do not know the reason why not to use the nvidia drivers you can find on the Nvidia Advanced Driver Search page.

I installed FreeBSD 12.2 short before Christmas and I am very pleased with the stability of Nvidia driver version 390.138.
(In the meantime, a new driver has been released, 390.141.)
The installation README is easy to follow.
It just works, no problems at all. Suspend/resume has never failed yet.

For my part, I do not know the reason why not to use the nvidia drivers you can find on the Nvidia Advanced Driver Search page.

I installed FreeBSD 12.2 short before Christmas and I am very pleased with the stability of Nvidia driver version 390.138.
(In the meantime, a new driver has been released, 390.141.)
The installation README is easy to follow.
It just works, no problems at all. Suspend/resume has never failed yet.
Hi!

Right now i am at a point that i cannot enter firefox and download that since i do not have a graphical interface :p

Does it matter though? Is it different developers behind the 2 versions?

I always thought the drivers in the ports/packages are intended as easy-to-use drivers for historic cards.
But there might be other reasons also why 304 and 340 were conserved that way. Maybe some insider knows more?
My personal experience is that the actively-maintained drivers on their website are usually more stable.

Edit: Maybe you can fetch the driver directly:
fetch https://www.nvidia.com/content/DriverDownload-March2009/confirmation.php?url=/XFree86/FreeBSD-x86_64/390.141/NVIDIA-FreeBSD-x86_64-390.141.tar.gz&lang=us&type=TITAN

I always thought the drivers in the ports/packages are intended as easy-to-use drivers for historic cards.
But there might be other reasons also why 304 and 340 were conserved that way. Maybe some insider knows more?
My personal experience is that the actively-maintained drivers on their website are usually more stable.

Edit: Maybe you can fetch the driver directly:
fetch https://www.nvidia.com/content/DriverDownload-March2009/confirmation.php?url=/XFree86/FreeBSD-x86_64/390.141/NVIDIA-FreeBSD-x86_64-390.141.tar.gz&lang=us&type=TITAN
I think that the problem with the whole situation is not that, in the video, the guy is also installing an xf86-video-amdgpu and as i understood(i might be wrong) this is something like x11/nvidia-xconfig that, essentially autoconfigures the drivers. I tried to run that and i rebooted. I will let you know the results soon.

Yep, its fixed!!!

I needed to download and run the nvidia-xconfig as a root!!

Thanks a lot everyone for your help!

Back