Solved does this tell me there is an inconsistency between release version and kernel usage?

Code:
userx@FreeBeSD:~$ freebsd-version -kru
13.1-RELEASE-p6
13.1-RELEASE-p6
13.1-RELEASE-p7
userx@FreeBeSD:~$ uname -a
FreeBSD FreeBeSD.ork 13.1-RELEASE-p6 FreeBSD 13.1-RELEASE-p6 GENERIC amd64
as I was reading a post in here and seen someone having issues with there video card driver which I have one that is sporadic on an AMD Gpu getting frambuffer mode error every so often after boot and issuing startx if I get that error I just reboot and it that seems to fix it by allowing startx to work on the next time.

should not the uname -a be showing release-p7 and not p6? so did I forget to issue a command to make it match?
Code:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2500U with Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx (8) @ 1.996GHz
GPU: Raven Ridge [Radeon Vega Series / Radeon Vega Mobile Series]
using amdgpu

Directly from the man page:

Code:
 If several of the above options are specified, freebsd-version will print
 the installed kernel version first, then the running kernel version, next
 the userland version, and finally the userland version of the specified
 jails, on separate lines.  If neither is specified, it will print the
 userland version only.

Your installed kernel version is -p6, your running kernel version is -p6, your userland is -p7.
It simply means "Userland was patched one more time than the kernel". It's not a mismatch, it's simply a "fact of life doing binary upgrades".

If your running and installed kernels are different, that typically means you should rebooot.
uname command always queries the currently running kernel, so it reports what is currently running, which should match the second line of -kru output.

In your specific case, there are no inconsistencies.

Directly from the man page:

Code:
 If several of the above options are specified, freebsd-version will print
 the installed kernel version first, then the running kernel version, next
 the userland version, and finally the userland version of the specified
 jails, on separate lines.  If neither is specified, it will print the
 userland version only.

Your installed kernel version is -p6, your running kernel version is -p6, your userland is -p7.
It simply means "Userland was patched one more time than the kernel". It's not a mismatch, it's simply a "fact of life doing binary upgrades".

If your running and installed kernels are different, that typically means you should rebooot.
uname command always queries the currently running kernel, so it reports what is currently running, which should match the second line of -kru output.

In your specific case, there are no inconsistencies.
so, I'll have to look elsewhere as to why the sporadic xOrg, freamebuffer mode error not going to start X thing when using startx.

thanks

Where is the kernel patch level set in src? I know the userland patch level is in sys/conf/newvers.sh but so far can't find where the kernel version is set. Also, is there a page on freebsd.org that publishes the currently available kernel and userland patch levels? So far, the best way I know to get it is visit the link from above, and if I can find the equivalent for kernel.

I know the userland patch level is in sys/conf/newvers.sh but so far can't find where the kernel version is set.
It's the same file. But this is set at compile time and the last patch didn't recompile the kernel, so that still has the 'old' version.

Also, is there a page on freebsd.org that publishes the currently available kernel and userland patch levels?

You can't pick and choose patch levels. You can't pick p3 and p5 and skip p4 for example. So you always get all the available patches when using freebsd-update(8). Look at the latest errata and security advisories to see which patch level is the latest.

Gotcha. Yeah the piece I was missing was that there's only one patch level - and it's just whether the kernel is included in the build. My understanding is that userland will always be the highest patch level, and kernel will match it if it was also built, but might be lower if it was not built in that patch level.

My understanding is that userland will always be the highest patch level, and kernel will match it if it was also built, but might be lower if it was not built in that patch level.
Correct. The last patch didn't involve the kernel, so it wasn't rebuild and therefor not included with the patch update. Your installed kernel is still the same 'old' patch version it had before.

Back