Does FreeBSD use the linux Kernel?

PCBSD already loads all sound drivers. I guess that you have a snd_hda chip with multiple devices and kde picked the wrong one. You can change that in kde's system config.
But as you have a new PC, all should be fine now. :)
Have fun in our BSD world!

Willrandship said:
Well, I'll never et a chance to try that, as I just obtained a better computer, and the chain of technology follows its course. My sister now owns that computer, and I have her old one (which I made in the first place) once again. Onward with Opens Source

P.S. Opensolaris is slow and just plain commercial.

I wouldn't say OpenSolaris is slow OR commercial.

IT does, however, support less hardware than some other OS's out there. I used it for a desktop/laptop os for awhile and really enjoyed it. I eventually switched back to FreeBSD due to software support. Once you get used to using Ports it's really hard to deal with package management systems on other os's

Opensolairs has AT LEAST 3 different package systems, and everything is very compartmentalized on that OS. All in all, I learned a lot from it.

For a desktop though, it ran just as fast as FreeBSD on my laptop (though it took about 20 seconds longer to boot for some reason)

Ok, let me clarify.
1. By saying slow, I meant that it was slow for me, not as a whole. Sorry if I was misunderstood. Also, the commercial thing was this. OpenSolaris is commercial due to the fact that it was based on a commercial os, and run by that os's company. In my mind, that makes it commercial.

Willrandship said:
Ok, let me clarify.
1. By saying slow, I meant that it was slow for me, not as a whole. Sorry if I was misunderstood. Also, the commercial thing was this. OpenSolaris is commercial due to the fact that it was based on a commercial os, and run by that os's company. In my mind, that makes it commercial.

While the company is in business to make money, most of thier software is opensource.

FreeBSD is "based on a commerical os" yet you don't consider it to be "commercial"

Sun could have kept the entire source code closed for Solaris if they wanted but they didn't.

wonslung said:
Sun could have kept the entire source code closed for Solaris if they wanted but they didn't.
...and it was a good move for them and they benefited a lot: "future versions of Solaris will be based on technology from the OpenSolaris project" (source).

Beastie said:
...and it was a good move for them and they benefited a lot: "future versions of Solaris will be based on technology from the OpenSolaris project" (source).

I quite agree. Sun has pretty much opened all their projects. Opensolaris is a pretty interesting os too. My main issue with it was that software was very "fragmented"
There doesn't seem to be a single "best" way to "get" a particular program. Theres a lot of different package management tools and they are all different, with a lot of different repos, sometimes having the same software. As a new comer to the os, I found it very confusing. Their community is small but VERY knowledgeable, but also a little zealous. I still enjoyed the experience of learning the OS. I used it for about 2-3 months when trying to decide between FreeBSD and OpenSolaris for my nas, but ultimately went with FreeBSD. Mainly due to ports and jails. I never did learn OpenSolaris zones (i had already been using jails by that time)

Everybody calm down. I didn't mean to bash Sun in any way, nor OpenSolaris. I was just stating that I didn't like it much.

Back