Does FreeBSD use the linux Kernel?

I was wondering if the FreeBSD Operating system uses the linux kernel as its core. The reason I ask is because the linux kernel will occasionally give me issues with my hard drive detection, and I can only use it with the more outdated kernel for each release.

DutchDaemon said:
Are you serious?
My guess is he is.

@Willrandship. The FreeBSD kernel is a beast of its own, with its own issues, far different from the ones you get with the linux one. Read the second link you've been replied. Seriously.

You need to find a distro with support for your hard drive.
What the others referred to is good for you to read.
You may find a little Linux help here; but, here are a few places for you to go to:
http://forums.debian.net
http://daemonforums.org
http://www.linuxquestions.org
You can also check the forums of the distribution you are using plus the mailing lists.
There are a lot of similarities between the Linux distros and the BSD flavors.
And there are also a lot of differences.
I think you probably need to run hdparm and build a kernel to include the driver.

1. No Linux is not FreeBSD.
  2. Linux is kernel.
  3. FreeBSD is kernel + operating systems.
  4. They are not releated to each other, but share many common goals and may use commons software such as MySQL, Apache, PHP, Perl, Python, KDE, Gnome and so on.

vermaden said:
FreeBSD is kernel + USERLAND, FreeBSD itself is operating system ...

Yes, it is .. I wanted to same thing but put it in wrong words..LOL:
  • FreeBSD = Complete Operating System (everything comes from a single source kernel + userland utilities + installer + patches + ports for apps etc)
  • Linux = Linux Kernel + GNU utilities + distro specific management scripts + Distro specific installer

vivek said:
Yes, it is .. I wanted to same thing but put it in wrong words..LOL:
  • FreeBSD = Complete Operating System (everything comes from a single source kernel + userland utilities + installer + patches + ports for apps etc)

Plus docs and howtos :e

The original question has been answered (and maybe the OP ran away, who knows). So let's leave it here ;)

Wow, 2 days and they think you forgot all about it...
I was wondering because strange glitches in the linux kernel force me to carefully sidestep the more updated kernels in favor of less updated ones. I was simply wondering if freebsd would give me the same issues. Apparently it would actually be worth the attempt. Thank you for responding.

Oh, and by the way, it is a kernel issue, so NO linux will work. I have attempted with many distros, such as fedora, debian, gentoo, dsl, puppy linux and slitaz. Linux Fails on my HD/MB combo without special care.

Also, what do licenses have to do with anything? in pretty much any open source OS, it basically says "you may share it and change it, just tel people I wrote the original." I fail to see how that could be relevant to kernel issues.

P.S. Flame war not intended....

BSD licenced kernel means you can use it for your closed-source proprietary product. GPL'ed code in kernel would dictate that it always remains opensource.

Thus if you want to build your commercial closedsource stuff on BSD, you'd need to ditch out all GPL stuff from the kernel. There's no permission for static linking, although pushing the borders and using a opensourced GPL kernel module for a closed source proprietary kernel is definitely possible.

In any case, GPL inside BSD kernel is too much of a hassle.

good, so the code has little to do with each other at the base level. That means it is likely to work with my HD!! Yay.

It has *nothing* to do with it since it's a different operating system. But it doesn't mean your HDD will work/better/worse. Just try it and see for yourself.

Opensource BSDs and Linux are totally different operating systems from the philosophy and kernel viewpoint. Userland (shell, programs) are quite similar because freeBSD is Unix-based and Linux is Unix-like.

Your HDD problems are surely controller-based. Find out what HDD controller you're using, and run a search over the freeBSD HCL located at http://www.freebsd.org/releases/7.2R/hardware.html .

Just a couple of things to note:
1: It works with windows and Opensolaris, but windows is evil and OpenSolaris is Impossibly slow. I think this is a suitable reply for both questions. In any case, I am going to be trying out netbsd today.

Willrandship said:
I was wondering if the FreeBSD Operating system uses the linux kernel as its core. The reason I ask is because the linux kernel will occasionally give me issues with my hard drive detection, and I can only use it with the more outdated kernel for each release.
:\

I lol'd.

Yeah, I'm just glad it worked.

In short, I downloaded PC-BSD, ran the cd, installed it, and it works.
YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
No sound though, even after long time of messing with boot configs....

Hmm...

Well, I'll never et a chance to try that, as I just obtained a better computer, and the chain of technology follows its course. My sister now owns that computer, and I have her old one (which I made in the first place) once again. Onward with Opens Source

P.S. Opensolaris is slow and just plain commercial.

Back