Docker is dead

sadaszewski

I am pretty sure that poeple wants a "FreeBSD Docker" solution only accept the solution if Dockerfile and all docker cli option matches.
IMHO a Kubernetes "official port" with jails and/or Bhyve is a better answer (and maybe create a Jailfile and/or Bhyvefile to push any project inside a container).

Kubernetes for FreeBSD is not impossible
This is completely unjustified speculation. I am myself a user who does now want this and I know at least a dozen others who don't want that either. Number 1 priority is to have similar abstractions and convenience level to Docker. Focker provides that nicely.

Zirias

Aspiring Daemon

This is completely unjustified speculation.
No, it's a sane assumption, because for any other usecase, there are already working solutions with FreeBSD. I'm getting increasingly fed up with your aggressive marketing for an open-source(!) tool. Marketing as such is fine, but hijacking a lot of unrelated threads over and over again is not.

vigole

I'm getting increasingly fed up with your aggressive marketing for an open-source(!) tool
The account has created on May 19, 2020. The first post was posted, the same day, on May 19, 2020, and it was about Focker. We've been reading about Focker in this forums for last 45 days: a total of 28 posts, 25 posts about Focker, in 45 days.
Therefore, it is clearly a form of product advertising. But I don't think, the first clause of FreeBSD Forums Rules has been broken by the user. i.e. The FreeBSD Forums are not an advertising billboard. Because this rule is phrased in a rather ambiguous way.
I'm not forum moderator, hence I'm only able to share my observations.

Zirias

Aspiring Daemon

It's unlikely there is any financial benefit in advertising an opensource project, so I wouldn't expect this to apply (but it's not my role to interpret the rules...) Still, it's just getting on my (and, obiously, some others') nerves ;)

sadaszewski

I just wanted to make your lives easier before the mentions of Focker get flooded with other sub-par FreeBSD solutions. At this point in time I have tested them all and they are a far cry from Docker-like abstractions provided by Focker. Nvm I will stop mentioning it in old posts but I will keep recommending it in new threads the same way people always reply with the old, sub-par (and honestly not even remotely similar in functionality to Focker) solutions (iocage, ezjail, qjail, etc).

mjollnir

Aspiring Daemon

Time is ripe for a "objective" comparison of these tools? Or two: one for jails, one for bhyve VM's.

Purkuapas

I think the problem is not the lack of an alternative to docker. There is an alternative: Bastillebsd, Focker, CBSD...
The problem is that we cannot convert Linux binaries of real docker images. And the FreeBSD ( BastilleBSD/Focker/CBSD) community is too small to create and maintain its own app images. For this reason, all these utilities do not matter much. All we have for the docker is the bhyve.

sadaszewski

I think the problem is not the lack of an alternative to docker. There is an alternative: Bastillebsd, Focker, CBSD...
The problem is that we cannot convert Linux binaries of real docker images. And the FreeBSD ( BastilleBSD/Focker/CBSD) community is too small to create and maintain its own app images. For this reason, all these utilities do not matter much. All we have for the docker is the bhyve.
Last time I checked it is not the Docker developers who maintain images for different distributions and software applications. Now we need to market something to the software developers so that they start preparing and maintaining their own images. I think Focker is much better positioned for that as it resembles Docker a lot, concept-wise and workflow-wise, and the developers presumably all know Docker.

kagi3624

So a wrapper around a wrapper. Or a tool for a tool?

This sounds like web development nowadays. No one just writes HTML, CSS and JavaScript. You have a tool to make that but, then, someone comes along with a tool to make the first tool better but then someone else needs a tool for that tool and, pretty soon, you have what's going on now--layer upon layer of tools that are all supposed to make life easier but they don't.

As I said, if one is going to use FreeBSD, use jails and be done with it.
Your comment reminded me of seitting up java for software developemen.t