Solved Display sleeps immediately when dropping out of X

IT LIVES!!!! Just got the new system up and running: i7 7700 @ 3.6, 32gb ram, on chip Intel HD 630. After a couple of adjustments to the network device name and after installing graphics/drm-next-kmod and the requisite configs for that thanks to this thread Thread 66732, I have a bootable system, X starts, I can actually exit X, plus, I can switch to a different TTY and back to X.

Time for a beer :beer: thread marked as SOLVED. Thanks to everyone that helped me think this through.

IT LIVES!!!! Just got the new system up and running: i7 7700 @ 3.6, 32gb ram, on chip Intel HD 630. After a couple of adjustments to the network device name and after installing graphics/drm-next-kmod and the requisite configs for that thanks to this thread Thread 66732, I have a bootable system, X starts, I can actually exit X, plus, I can switch to a different TTY and back to X.

Time for a beer :beer: thread marked as SOLVED. Thanks to everyone that helped me think this through.

Did you get rid of the HP Z800 altogether or installed an Intel i7-7700-compatible motherboard in there?

Also, if still trying the NVidia route, does the new proprietary driver not do anything for you?

FreeBSD Display Driver – x64
Version: 415.22
Operating System: FreeBSD x64
Release Date: December 7, 2018

I still have the z800 and use it as my package build server. I built a completely separate machine to use as a new workstation. Nvidia in general is what caused (I am guessing) the entire problem in the first place, which is why I switched completely away from it and went Intel. The z800 is headless and I just SSH into it when I need to build ports --> packages and serve them to my new workstation.

I have to ask: what driver are you referring to? this:
"FreeBSD Display Driver – x64
Version: 415.22
Operating System: FreeBSD x64
Release Date: December 7, 2018"

That isn't the version of the Nvidia driver currently in ports, what is it? Not that it matters because I no longer need a video card...

FWIW, I tried booting my laptop again (P51 with NVIDIA Quadro M2200), and it worked this time. I know it's not directly related to your configuration as I'm using laptop + external monitor, but it could give some hints to others. I noticed one very interesting difference between "can't exit X, display sleeps" and "can exit X, can switch to VT and back" -- in the former case, no matter how I'm connecting the display (DP on dock station, miniDP on laptop), it's shown as "DFP-0.1.8" (DP on dock) or "DFP-0.1" (miniDP) and there's a separate "DFP-0 (boot)" line in the Xorg.0.log, and for the latter case, there's only one (!) line "DFP-0 (boot)" and that exact output is used by nvidia-driver; also in the latter case, it successfully enables the sound output (still need that hack I shared in my first thread on forums).

I missed this thread and made a comment on another regarding a similar issue. The fix for myself and other user was to set the VT console resolution the same as your X resolution.

That could actually explain why it works for me with miniDP (it uses the same 3440x1440 in VT and X) and doesn't with DP-on-dock (it can only do 800x600 in VT).

Back