Solved Did I choose a bad handle?

I chose tux2bsd to indicate that I have a "Linux" background and am trying BSD.

Seems that "this guy is a Linux fanboy" and reaction "No, me FreeBSD fanboy. Linux sux.." have occasionally occurred.

Did I choose a bad handle?

p.s. Moderators of these forums are hella petty, well one was but don't know who it was.

p.p.s. This probably won't go well, lol.

I don't have a problem with your name cause it told me you learned your lesson and switched to FreeBSD. At least that's what I thought.

I've noticed an increased number of postings lately. Possibly due to the centos thing. But increased popularity among the masses also brings in the dredge of people who make postings like you quoted. This place is one of the two forum-like places I visit because the standard and quality of people is much higher so your bad reactions are not the norm--especially from a historic perspective.

We act as refrees and also bouncers. And we try to keep some standards. That also means we might frown upon some manners which are normal for some other places. If we come over as petty, that is not personal.

As usual, those who feel their ego needs steroids look down to Linux. They think bashing Linux makes them l33t. While in reality of course they merely show how small they are. I use Linux since 1997, FreeBSD since 1999. Both these operating systems are in the bright side of computing and I enjoy them very much. Writing this from Gentoo box.

I don't think handles matter (though one day you might find you are no longer "trying" FreeBSD and decide your handle needs updating) :)

I would not think poorly of a guy called "win32bsd" unless for example he tried to suggest that FreeBSD needed a Win32-style Registry or Product Activation to stay "relevant". Luckily that is less common for Windows guys to do that ;)

I wonder how many of us actually look at the handle--that is, we note it, but I suspect most of us don't even read it fully, or think about it.
As for the Linux bashing, don't worry about it. To spend time disliking something means that that something has won, you're spending time worrying about how bad it is, while it's not thinking at all about you. That's a generalization, and obviously, there's lots of cases where that's not true, but it has merit, in my opinion, nevertheless.

from Gentoo box
Yeah, did that in 2002. Good learning back then but don't need to repeat it.
<tux2bsd paraphrase: implying it's new users> quote: ... bad reactions are not the norn
The worst reactions have been from members with ~1000+ messages... where they think they're elite. Saying things like "we decide what goes in the the handbook" and in earlier in the thread the same guy was saying "I've been thinking about contributing to the handbook", delusional stuff like that).

And the reason I'm being petty about the petty moderator was I was posting (on the low quality side) to a thread I made and he had a little power trip. I know better than to post poor quality into someone elses thread.

Saying things like "we decide what goes in the the handbook" and in earlier in the thread the same guy was saying "I've been thinking about contributing to the handbook", delusional stuff like that).
Sounds to me like someone who has been around for so long to have 1000+ messages would be an ideal candidate to contribute to the handbook. Perhaps they already have in the past? Their experience and knowledge of the OS could be a benefit to others, especially newbies.

Judging a "Newbie" by their message count in a forum is stupid (and I'm not talking about their forum flair).

The difference is, in a nutshell, "how do I do xyz using FreeBSD?" vs "what is xyz?".

Within my first 20 messages to this forum I provided a howto that hadn't been covered as well.

Judging a "Newbie" by their message count / participation in a forum is stupid (and I'm not talking about their forum flair).
Oh, what was the howto about? Are you sure it wasn't just moved to a different section? The only howtos that are deleted are usually based on an old game server for Metin2.

I don't think anyone gets judged by message count. Many members actually came from the mailing lists or even the older BSD forums when it got abandoned so you can't assume they are new by message count alone. It is very easy to tell if someone is quite new to UNIX by the content in their posts but again, I don't think that is ever held against them. What is I think a little frowned upon is a lack of wanting to learn and instead constant demands that the OS be made more "beginner friendly" (at the expense of being less useful) which I actually think is impossible for any decent OS.

He included himself in "we" yet had never participated, like a sports fan commenting on the game claiming intent re joining the team...
There are many ways to join a team. Even the waterboy is a noble role ;)

Any little helps, even if it isn't impressive or "trendy". Take for example one of my contributed ports ~9 years ago: (https://svnweb.freebsd.org/ports/head/devel/radare2/Makefile?revision=281858) barely useful to 99% of users but as you can see in the history, even to this day people have found some use in it and have been maintaining it (some of my other ports, less so! haha).

Especially over this covid period I even have a little bit more time to look into contributing to the handbook. I have done so in the past (the Porters Handbook) but things change and need maintenance (like the software it is describing). I am just a normal user however so I do agree with the quoted post, we (as in the community, mailing lists, IRC, forum) do ultimately decide what goes in there. Who else does?

Don't put it too high on a pedestal though. Unlike a football team, there are no "limited spaces" for contributing. You aren't competing with others. If you are just a little bit technical and work in the same direction as the project, that is enough.

Seems that "this guy is a Linux fanboy" and reaction "No, me FreeBSD fanboy. Linux sux.." have occasionally occurred.

p.s. Moderators of these forums are hella petty, well one was but don't know who it was.

p.p.s. This probably won't go well, lol.
Nah I wouldn't worry about it. Just be you and everyone will choose to help you or not. Names are just usernames are just usernames... It's not the user.

My post cont is 31. "Judge me by my post count do you?"... Master Yoda Paraphrasing. I do find post count is reviewed, but I usually have thick skin. I usually just tell people I am nobody special, I am just regular.

Can you point out to me where someone posted "his guy is a Linux fanboy" referring to you? You seem a little over-defensive... Did you pick a bad handle?

How does this make you feel? Does it stir any emotional response in you?
bon_appetit.png

• Thanks
Reactions: a6h
You are correct, jardows. Now on to the Final Test.

Does this cause a physical reaction to you in any way?

penguinpicknik.png

• Thanks
Reactions: a6h
Back