(desperate plead) Please allow viewing forum from non-javascript webbrowsers!

That's not the point of the thread. The point is to make it usable and readable in text only browsers. "It works" is not the issue.
For me as a non-native English speaker in the given context "It works" sounds pretty much like "usable and readable in text only browsers".

Did you try the forums with www/w3m? For me it works, i.e. the forums are usable and readable.

# pkg install w3m
# w3m https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/desperate-plead-please-allow-viewing-forum-from-non-javascript-webbrowsers.90466/page-2#post-624895

Usable and readble.

Who wants to believe, goes to the church. Who wants to know, does a research.

When I use
Code:
 telnet
to enter to a server, all is predefined by rules in the OS.

Last edited:
It could be great, reading this forum whitout Javascript at all.

I just disabled JavaScript in Firefox 119, entered the Forums, logged-in and am responding to your message.

There are some minor annoyancies:
  • The Warning "JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding." is displayed on all pages.
  • When not logged-in, the Cookie-Banner cannot be dismissed.
  • When responding to a message, the height of the text area is only three lines and needs to be increased manually.
  • The Forums's WYSIWYG editor needs JavaScript (of course), and it does not show up. So, formatting must be done using the BB code syntax.
    (The vi faction here on the forums would tell you anyway, that WYSIWYG is as bad as a concept for editors as it is for women :-D

Besides that, it works.

There's brow.sh and there are FreeBSD binaries for i386 and amd64. But it didn't really work for me, the output was gibberish.

Screenshot_2023-10-15_22-52-58.png

I just disabled JavaScript in Firefox 119, entered the Forums, logged-in and am responding to your message.

There are some minor annoyancies:
  • The Warning "JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding." is displayed on all pages.
  • When not logged-in, the Cookie-Banner cannot be dismissed.
  • When responding to a message, the height of the text area is only three lines and needs to be increased manually.
  • The Forums's WYSIWYG editor needs JavaScript (of course), and it does not show up. So, formatting must be done using the BB code syntax.
    (The vi faction here on the forums would tell you anyway, that WYSIWYG is as bad as a concept for editors as it is for women :-D

Besides that, it works.
Thanks for your test. I just tried use the forum with Lynx, but is not a good idea.

Take it up with XenForo, this has nothing to do with the forums per se.
Not a helpful answer.

The previous forum software used to work fine with w3m/lynx/links.

As it wasn't "XenForo" that installed itself onto the forum site, it's only fair that "entikan" can vent their frustrations here.

Those templates are horrid to be honest. Not the actual templates but how they're all strung together to form a "page". Anyway, found it in the message_macros template and corrected it. But I'm not sure if it's the right one I edited, your fetch doesn't give me any output anymore, so I guess it was the right template.

And browsers are supposed to be somewhat lenient when it comes to syntax.
Ahh thanks. I can see the posts in w3m now!

When hacking away at a console, if I need pointers, a quick w3m to google often produces links to this forum. It was a pain in the arse when this didn't work. Now it does.

That will help enormously.

(Those that commented along the lines of "you should use a proper browser" have presumably never done any real FreeBSD work out in the field)

I believe it was sent by telegraph dear

👵 why, thank you, dear. Step inside, I'll fix you a lemonade.

For anyone who missed it:

There's a link to a confirmed bug in the XenForo area.

Back