Desktops

What is the range of desktops that can be installed with FBSD. Which do you believe is currently the most popular?

A window manager is not a "desktop", at least, the common definition for that is some environment with a "look and feel" plus tooling (like e.g. task bars, docks, some settings, a file manager, etc). So, a desktop includes a window manager.

As for "the most popular"? No idea, to me that's KDE. XFCE and Gnome are "big ones" as well, and there are several smaller ones. There's also "lumina" which was designed specifically with *BSD in mind, but I don't know its current status.

Right now, I use something I put together myself with x11-wm/fvwm2 plus tools like xclock, stalonetray, etc…

A window manager is not a "desktop", at least, the common definition for that is some environment with a "look and feel" plus tooling (like e.g. task bars, docks, some settings, a file manager, etc). So, a desktop includes a window manager.

As for "the most popular"? No idea, to me that's KDE. XFCE and Gnome are "big ones" as well, and there are several smaller ones. There's also "lumina" which was designed specifically with *BSD in mind, but I don't know its current status.

Right now, I use something I put together myself with x11-wm/fvwm2 plus tools like xclock, stalonetray, etc…
I have lumina. It was part of an iso disk I downloaded in the last 6 weeks. Is it normal to include a desktop in an iso?

Is it normal to include a desktop in an iso?
The DVD image contains a selection of packages. Not sure what's included these days, certainly not all packages as that simply won't fit. The CD and memory stick images don't have packages included with them at all. Maybe you had one of the FreeBSD derivatives, if I remember correctly TrueOS came with Lumina by default.

What is the range of desktops that can be installed with FBSD. Which do you believe is currently the most popular?
I am using MATE as my primary WM, but KDE Plasma and Xfce are also installed into the system so that I can select these from SDDM login manager. I use some KDE applications under MATE.

Also, I have deskutils/cairo-dock under MATE.

The DVD image contains a selection of packages. Not sure what's included these days, certainly not all packages as that simply won't fit. The CD and memory stick images don't have packages included with them at all. Maybe you had one of the FreeBSD derivatives, if I remember correctly TrueOS came with Lumina by default.
I seem to recall that a few years ago iso downloads had the option of up to 4 disks. Not so anymore apparently. If that's the case why do the download servers still refer to disk 1, when its the only one available?
Some offerings are double sided disks these days.

I have a related desktop question
I initially had a 12.2 system with Lumina. I susbequently decided I also wanted the Mate desktop. When I tried to get into Mate with my original user & password I was disallowed entry. I decided to install a second user & password to see if I could gain entry. It worked.
How would I make Mate accept both users?
Instead of Mate opening automatically could I have the option of choosing a user by command?
Thanks.

I don't know which setup is more popular but I'm running openbox and xcompmgr with tint2. It's a lightweight, minimalist,
and rock-solid setup.

Back