DELL H755 RAID support

I have tried loading MegaCLi but having problems getting it to run..
pkg install megacli

The syntax of the commands is horrid though. It's going to take some time getting used to it. But there's lots of information to be found. Be careful with that [E:S] notation, the shell might 'eat' those brackets. So you may need to add some quotes here and there.

SOLVED. GOT IT! With the help from comments above I was able to load MegaCLi (not MegaCLi64!) and get it working on the DELL R450 with the H755 controller. Thank You everyone!

Am I allowed to post a web link from a Cisco link that was a big help with commands, once I got the MegaCLi loaded properly?

Hi! It's me again, with two problems this time. (these are both in testing stages til 13.1 is fully RELEASED)

1. 'mfsbsd' will not boot on a DELL R450 (15th generation) system. Crashes with a 'fatal trap 12 error' shortly after POST. FreeBSD 13.1-PRERELEASE 'installer' does at least boot, but has problems installing FBSD. I am guessing we have to wait for a FULL 13.1-RELEASE before mfsbsd13.1 can be released?

2. DELL PERC9 RAID on a 'PE R450 15th Gen' system has BIG PROBLEMS with RAID compatibility with the previous generations of DELL Servers. A RAID set from earlier DELL systems are not be recognized as 'foreign' on the PERC9. I AM in conversation with DELL Tech Support. I was just wondering if anyone else has seen this problem, and if any answers are coming from DELL that have not gotten to me yet.

Thanks

Hi! It's me again
Hi dkline201,
Now that FreeBSD 13.1 has now been officially released. Does your Dell R450 with PERC H755 work properly with the official release of FreeBSD 13.1?
I'm looking at getting a Dell R350 with a PERC H755 in the near future, to use with pfSense once they update their version to be based upon FreeBSD 13.1.

Hi dkline201,
Now that FreeBSD 13.1 has now been officially released. Does your Dell R450 with PERC H755 work properly with the official release of FreeBSD 13.1?
I'm looking at getting a Dell R350 with a PERC H755 in the near future, to use with pfSense once they update their version to be based upon FreeBSD 13.1.
Once I got 'mfsbsd13.1-rel', I was able to boot from the USB and install FreeBSD 13.1-rel onto my DELL R450 with the PERC H755. My initial testing for basic functions seem OK. We are now in the process of loading all of OUR programs, and seem to be going well. Hardware wise, I would say it seem good. But as for the heavy duty production software, that will be up to the Programmers.

Wow! This DELL R450-15th Gen system is still fighting me every step along the way. Now I am having problems with the Broadcom 10GbE SFP+ and BaseT boards. According to FreeBSD 13.1-REL HCL, the Broadcom NetExtreme 57412, 57414, and 57416 boards ARE supported, and have an ID of "bnxt(x)". I configured "/etc/rc.conf" with both DHCP and STATIC (not at the same time obviously). The boards are not configured by FBSD 13.1-rel during boot up. "pciconf -lv | grep -A1 -B1 network" shows the boards physically installed in the system, but they don't show up on the console. The 57412 SFP+ board DID WORK in a DELL R740xd. I did not test the 57416 BaseT in the R740xd-14th Gen system, since the first one worked...

Of course, DELL only says "We don't support FreeBSD..." Any suggestions? Maybe the "bnxt" is wrong? My Intel 10GbE boards changed from "ix(x)" to "ixl(x)" when I installed it into the R450 15th Gen... But DELL is dropping the Intel boards now...

Thanks to a "better search" of the Forum for "bnxt", I found that answer about 10 minutes before you sent your reply. Adding that line to "/boot/loader.conf" worked with the SFP+ board. Both of the SFP+ got the IP addresses that I put into "/etc/rc.conf". Now I will try the BaseT board. THANK YOU MUCH for replying though, and confirming what I was hoping would fix it.

Got my first 10G NIC machine (Supermicro) this year and learned that not all drivers (especially for these newer NICs) are built-in!

Don’t think I’ll be getting one of this generation of Dells just yet (just because I don’t need them yet) but certainly will at some point so watching your progress with interest - when I do get one I should have some confidence that things will work (and what I need to watch out for).

We have finally gotten to the point where we are moving all of OUR programs over to FreeBSD 13.1-rel. That conversion is going well.
But I could put together a list of the issues that we had getting to this point, mainly in the compatibility issues on the new DELL 15th Generation systems with the LSI-Broadcom-MegaRAID-TriMode 3916 chipset series of RAID controllers, and the 'relatively simple' fix to the Broadcom 5741x series of 10GbE NICs.
It would be a small way to repay the help that I have gotten from the Forum in the past few months...

Could I type that up as an attachment, and post it here?

And I would 'still' like some feedback from an LSI-Broadcom' engineer as to WHY they decided to change the 'drive ID' numbering system that is causing the boot drive incompatibility from previous generations of MegaRAID controllers (92xx and 93xx) to the new TriMode 38xx controller?

We have finally gotten to the point where we are moving all of OUR programs over to FreeBSD 13.1-rel. That conversion is going well.
But I could put together a list of the issues that we had getting to this point, mainly in the compatibility issues on the new DELL 15th Generation systems with the LSI-Broadcom-MegaRAID-TriMode 3916 chipset series of RAID controllers, and the 'relatively simple' fix to the Broadcom 5741x series of 10GbE NICs.
It would be a small way to repay the help that I have gotten from the Forum in the past few months...

Could I type that up as an attachment, and post it here?

And I would 'still' like some feedback from an LSI-Broadcom' engineer as to WHY they decided to change the 'drive ID' numbering system that is causing the boot drive incompatibility from previous generations of MegaRAID controllers (92xx and 93xx) to the new TriMode 38xx controller?
Hi,
We will run in the same configuration as you :)
Is it possible to share all your experience/resolution on an attachment ?

Back