Debricking a Linksys WRT3200ACM through its serial port

Hello community,

I’m trying to debrick a Linksys WRT3200ACM router from a laptop running Freebsd 12.0 release. Essentially this means re-flashing the firmware through a terminal session from the Freebsd host, and sending a firmware image via TFTP. All attempts to establish a terminal session with the router have failed.

The router’s serial port is a JST PH 6 pin connector. The cable is an Adafruit 954 USB to TTL. It includes separate ground, Tx, Rx, and 5v (not needed), connectors.

Although Freebsd is not listed under the cable’s supported OSs, dmesg recognizes the device driver:

$ grep uslcom /var/run/dmesg.boot
Code:
uslcom0 on uhub1
uslcom0 <CP2102 USB to UART Bridge Controller> on usbus0

Considering the possibility that it may work, configuration entries were added per the handbook instructions in Ch.25 USB Device Mode / USB OTG.

Added entries:

/boot/loader.conf
Code:
hw.usb.template=3
usb_template_load=“YES”
umodem_load=“YES”
uslcom_load=“YES”

/etc/ttys
Code:
ttyU0    "/usr/libexec/getty 3wire"    vt100    onifconsole secure
ttyU1    "/usr/libexec/getty 3wire"    vt100    onifconsole secure

/etc/dev.conf
Code:
notify 100 {
    match "system"        "DEVFS";
    match "subsystem"    "CDEV";
    match "type"        "CREATE";
    match "cdev"        "ttyU[0-9]+";
    action "/sbin/init q";
};

# reboot

Terminal session attempt:

# cu -s 115200 -l /dev/ttyU0

Output:
Code:
connected

However, there’s no command line prompt, and the laptop freezes to the extent that a hard shutdown is the only way out. Unfortunately, at the moment, this is the only computer available.

The serial cables are indeed attached correctly to the serial port pins.

Any ideas?

Those ttys(5) settings are terminal settings for the host. They do nothing for the serial device. They allow incoming serial connections to the FreeBSD host.

Try lower baud rates, many devices use a baud rate of 9600 bps, sometimes even as low as 2400 bps. Connecting with a higher baud rate won't work.
Also, make sure you're using the correct voltage. If you're using a cable that delivers 5V to a 3.3V device, you're probably going to destroy the serial port interface.
Reversely, lower voltage won't damage the device but you won't be able to connect to it.

So just for reference. You are trying to debrick the stock Linksys firmware or were you already running modified firmware OS?

Here is an in-depth dive at recent uboot env settings with the DD-WRT crowd.
Our uboot is close to parity with upstream uboot so these might be relevant if you are trying to run FreeBSD on it.
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1096831&sid=780db580930cf5324de59fd67ad0a418
the trick is to place rango.img at right possition (ie 132mb offset) :

Those ttys(5) settings are terminal settings for the host. They do nothing for the serial device. They allow incoming serial connections to the FreeBSD host.

Ah yes, gross misread on my part.

So then with FreeBSD as client, following handbook Ch.26.3, removing all of the previous settings, except the Adafruit cable driver:

/boot/loader.conf
Code:
uslcom_load="YES"

Examining the device nodes:
# ls /dev/cu* outputs:
Code:
/dev/cuaU0
/dev/cuaU0.init
/dev/cuaU0.lock

Terminal session attempt:
# cu -s 115200 -l /dev/cuaU0 outputs:
Code:
connected

Unfortunately, still no terminal session.

In a similar vein as above some devices UART require power from the host. 1.8v, 3.3v or 5V are common.

Yes OpenWRT is the firmware I will be flashing. Previoulsy, a thread was initiated on the OpenWRT forum about the appropriate voltage. The consensus was that the power is supplied by the router during the flash process. So when connecting the Adafruit cable, only the ground, Tx, and Rx, connectors are attached to the serial port. The red hot cable is not connected.

The whole Linksys AC series is similar. There are some nuggets in here:
https://oldwiki.archive.openwrt.org/toh/linksys/wrt_ac_series#serial_header

Maybe the reason you are not getting a response is because it has not booted or uboot is broken.
Have you tried network/remote booting it ?
https://kernelnomicon.org/?p=306

Awesome, thanks for the links.

I have not tried remote booting but will definitely check it out.

Honestly I'm not sure if Uboot is broken. One night the router abrubtly stopped working. It was late and it was also "one of those days." Out of anger I hit the reset button without thinking. After that it was totally unresponsive. Later it was discovered that the abrupt stoppage may have been related to a bug in the last stable release.

However, one of the most compelling features of the Linksys WRT family is their dual firmware flash layout, which to the best of my knowledge, makes it practically impossible to permanently brick one of these devices unless the board is physically damaged or fried. It appears that once the command line prompt is accessed, running the Uboot run update_both_images command will flash both of the flash-partitions via TFTP. A clean slate.

Unfortunately, still no terminal session.
Yes, but you said it yourself, the device is bricked. So I guess it's hard bricked. If it's soft bricked you might be able to recover it.

However, one of the most compelling features of the Linksys WRT family is their dual firmware flash layout, which to the best of my knowledge, makes it practically impossible to permanently brick one of these devices unless the board is physically damaged or fried. It appears that once the command line prompt is accessed, running the Uboot run update_both_images command will flash both of the flash-partitions via TFTP. A clean slate.
Maybe it has some sort of recovery mode? I remember 'unbricking' a certain modem/router type (forgot which one, it was a couple of years ago). The trick with that device was to set up a small network, your laptop directly connected to the modem with an ethernet cable. You had to have a DHCP service running serving a specific range (10.0.0.0/24 I believe it was). And have a TFTP service running on 10.0.0.1 with the firmware image named in a specific way. You then turn on the device keeping the "factory reset" button pressed continuously. That would put it in recovery mode, get an address from DHCP and TFTP the firmware image automatically. On Windows, tftpd32/tftpd64 is an extremely useful little tool for this. Besides the TFTP service it also has a small DHCP service and syslog.

So if the FreeBSD machine is a client trying to establish a terminal session with another non-FreeBSD machine, there’s no configuration required for /etc/ttys? Or do I need to configure the ttyuports? Thanks.

Yes, but you said it yourself, the device is bricked. So I guess it's hard bricked. If it's soft bricked you might be able to recover it.

Maybe it has some sort of recovery mode?

Yes sir, but I do believe it is soft bricked, based on what I’ve read thus far. Today I also found out that the JST connectors on my USB-to-TTL cable are 2.54mm, which is too big. The pins on the WRT3200ACM serial port are 2.0mm. I ordered the correct connectors and will modify the cable when they arrive.

I am unaware of any recovery methods as you described above. I’m about 95% sure that there is not. But I am continuing my research and will update accordingly.

What I worry about is what exactly provides the MARVELL> prompt I see in some literature. Is it a bootstrap env? Maybe uboot.
Even if it has dual "firmware" there can only be one loader right? So if that's hosed what do you do.

Did you notice this part of that dd-wrt command. This means uboot is booting from a NAND device
ubootenv set altnandboot

Ah yes, if Uboot is wiped out, the device would have to be recovered with kwboot.

I spent quite some time trying to get kwboot working on FreeBSD but never managed it.

I managed to build an early version of it but it would never send the image.

Later versions introduced various Linuxisms so I couldn't even compile it.

Here are a few links to posts I've made

https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/kwboot-for-freebsd.61765/

https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/need-help-building-kwboot.61777/

https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/building-u-boot.67146/

https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/sending-a-file-via-serial-port.66335/

https://forum.doozan.com/read.php?3,61989,62359

If anyone can help me get this working I'd very much appreciate it.

If anyone can help me get this working I'd very much appreciate it.

I’ve never actually used kwboot. There’s a chance in the near future I’ll need to look into it. UBoot may be broken on my wifi router.

A week or so ago I exchanged a couple of brief messages with a gentleman who authored a Debian based wifi distro. He hosts his own kwboot images. Seems like he also had issues, and had to reach out to Denx to make it work.

Sorry I could not be of any help. Here are the images:

https://github.com/Chadster766/McDebian/wiki/C.-U‐Boot-Recovery

I’ve never actually used kwboot. There’s a chance in the near future I’ll need to look into it. UBoot may be broken on my wifi router.

kwboot is relatively straightforward to use (once you have connected up everything properly).

It will send the UBoot image specified on the command line using xmodem and boot from that. Once it boots you can try replacing the existing UBoot.

Are you sure the 'stock' firmware has the serial port open? Could be disabled.
Linksys shipped some WRT routers with their own firmware and some with OpenWRT.
Was this one of those OpenWRT routers or was it stock Linksys closed firmware?
Have you flashed it with anything?

Are you sure the 'stock' firmware has the serial port open? Have you flashed it with anything?

To the best of my knowledge the serial port is indeed open. I’m currently resolving petty connection issues (pins, connectors, wires, etc.). When I’m 100% sure those issues are resolved, and the port is still unresponsive, the next theory would be that UBoot is wiped, or as you mentioned, the port is closed.

The device came with stock firmware. I flashed OpenWrt on it over the internet.

Yeah sounds pretty straight forward, which is comforting.

Personally, since you can't use kwboot on FreeBSD, at least not yet, I'd suggest asking on the OpenWrt Forum if anyone has experience of unbricking one of these routers using kwboot. I've always found it to be a very helpful forum. I think I'd abandon the idea of using FreeBSD for this purpose. Just my opinion...

Back