Perl DBI.c: loadable library and perl binaries are mismatched

I think it's time for this post, https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/56247/#post-319842, to segue to this forum. (Perhaps a difference audience.)

The problem now is not with a make install failure. The two ports compiled to successful completion. The problem now is that a "handshake key" between the perl5.22.2 and the p5-DBI-1.636, is wrong. Why the mismatch?

If I try to execute a simple perl script that utilizes the DBI, the following error diagnostic:

# perl -T create_roster_db.pl
DBI.c: loadable library and perl binaries are mismatched (got handshake key 0x7ac0080, needed 0x7b80080)

The Wikipedia article, Perl XS, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XS_(Perl), states:
XS is an interface through which a program written in the Perl programming language can call a C or C++ language subroutine. The letters stand for eXternal Subroutine, or xsub, where external means external to Perl, i.e. written in some other language.

. . .XS modules are not without drawbacks. They are difficult to write and maintain, and they may only be installed if a C compiler and the header files that the Perl interpreter was compiled against are available. Also, new versions of Perl may break binary compatibility; if this happens, all XS modules must be recompiled.
. . .so, I have installed the p5-DBI-1.636 Perl5 Database Interface, required for DBD::* modules port, and as you can read above, it chokes.

I have reproduced this scenario on two different FreeBSD v10.2 platforms: a Pentimum-4, and a Dell 8-core 2950.

What to do?

People . . .this is a real problem! Who should I address for an answer. I updated ports. I reinstalled the Perl ports as previoulsly indicated. I (a user) expect it to work. Is anyone using the Perl DBI with MySQL? (. . .I would think so.) If so, what have you done that works, that I'm doing wrong.?

I know this thread is one year old, but today this problem also hit me. I found both a cause and a solution, but truth is that the whole thing still appears somewhat illogical and with that pretty annoying too.

First things first: this usually happens when you rebuild and/or reinstall Perl without doing the same for any libraries which depend on it (you know: pkg info -x p5). In the old days (20141126 from /usr/ports/UPDATING) a mere # portmaster p5- or # portmaster -r perl5- would be able to solve this for you. But not anymore...

I don't know why (my expertise on Perl only goes so far) but these days libraries which seem totally independent will still check for the existence of libraries and will complain when a mismatch is found.

Example: I tried to re-install devel/autoconf and got greeted by a similar error message during building:

Code:
ListUtil.c: loadable library and perl binaries are mismatched (got handshake key
 0x7980080, needed 0x7b00080)
gmake[3]: *** [Makefile:641: autoconf.in] Error 1
I traced this back to List::Util which turns out to be provided by lang/p5-Scalar-List-Utils. So here's where things got a little bizarre for me... While trying to re-build this port I got greeted by the exact same error message. This led up to me believing that this whole thing is by design: any Perl related action can somehow scan all the available libraries and if a mismatch is found it will trigger an error.

Makes sense during Perl execution, but makes less sense (from a user / admin point of view) when you're in the process of re-installing that exact same library!

The solution in this case was somewhat simple: # make deinstall reinstall clean. By first (forcefully) removing the port I also ensured that the library mismatch could no longer be detected (at least not the one involving around ListUtil.c). Then I recompiled & reinstalled the port, thus also re-establishing any dependencies.

As of right now this is pure speculation on my part: Because this error doesn't always occur with every Perl library / module I'm tempted to conclude that some Ports actually do depend on others yet fail to mention this:

Code:
peter@macron:/usr/ports/devel/autoconf#make all-depends-list
/usr/ports/ports-mgmt/pkg
/usr/ports/devel/m4
/usr/ports/print/indexinfo
/usr/ports/misc/help2man
/usr/ports/devel/p5-Locale-gettext
/usr/ports/devel/gettext-tools
/usr/ports/converters/libiconv
/usr/ports/devel/gettext-runtime
/usr/ports/lang/perl5.24
/usr/ports/devel/gmake
/usr/ports/devel/autoconf-wrapper
Considering that this build failed with the error shared earlier, and which got solved by re-installing that Port I'm now led to believe that devel/autoconf also depends on lang/p5-Scalar-List-Utils.

Once again: this is only a theory I have so far and which needs further investigation. For all I know this could also be a "cascading dependency" (can't come up with a better name). So, in other words: one of the Ports mentioned above depends on lang/p5-Scalar-List-Utils and that then led up to the error message during the build of devel/autoconf.

Summing up...
  • Identify the library which causes the error message (in my example above List::Util).
  • Identify the Port responsible for the library (in my example lang/p5-Scalar-List-Utils).
  • De-install then re-install the port ( # make deinstall reinstall clean).
For the record: As said above I know this thread is old, but I can't help wonder if this won't become a recent issue when we'll eventually see a new Perl version emerge.

Summing up...
  • Identify the library which causes the error message (in my example above List::Util).
  • Identify the Port responsible for the library (in my example lang/p5-Scalar-List-Utils).
  • De-install then re-install the port ( # make deinstall reinstall clean).

While rebuilding all ports during upgrade from 11.2 to 12.0... I Just ran in to this specifically, the very same problem, thank you for sharing this!!!

Found another:
Code:
===>  Building for ca_root_nss-3.42.1
Base64.c: loadable library and perl binaries are mismatched (got handshake key 0xc000080, needed 0xc680080)

solution:
cd /usr/ports/converters/p5-MIME-Base64/
make deinstall reinstall clean

cd /usr/ports/security/ca_root_nss
make deinstall reinstall clean

Additionally "loadable library and perl binaries are mismatched" errors could in other situations be related to ABI version of the Host OS that built either perl5x or the Perl List::Util/Base64 libraries... Meaning this is not going away any time soon, as we both need to rebuild everything perl related for a perl upgrade and rebuild things when upgrading the OS.

Irony is that Perl used to be a part of FreeBSD's base so this would not be possible unless installing a port of Perl to run instead of what was included. Maybe all of this is something that FreeBSD would like to go away and everyone should just use the pre-configured pkg version of ports...

Had a similar error [Socket.c: loadable library and perl binaries are mismatched (got handshake key 0xd480080, needed 0xe180080)] while building openssl-1.1.1d. The problem was gone after rebuilding gettext-runtime. 🤔

Update: Didn't work for me. Rebuilding seems to break at same package.... keep trying...

I've just had a similar (loadable library and perl binaries are mismatched) error,
and the problem seems to be that /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl has the offending (*.so ?) files
(the offending files were built for the earlier perl - or, in my case, O/S - version).

I found that this identified ports that needed re-installing:

Code:
pkg info -o \* |while read pk pt;do pkg list $pt | grep site_perl/.\*\\.so\$ | while read so;do echo "$pk\t$pt\t$so";break;done;done

and you can tweak that to output only "$pt" and feed those to | xargs portmaster , perhaps.

I dont think this is just to do with perl5 been removed from base, that has been removed for several years now and I didnt have this problem going from 10 to 11, but of course have just hit it going from 11 to 12. I will speculate that maybe in the past a different OS version but same version of perl was not enough to trigger it, or perhaps this is some kind of new sanity check added in recent perl code. The old 'perl-after-upgrade' script I think would have been good for this, but its gone now.

The only solution that seems workable to me is to delete all of of the so's and then quickly reinstall all the ports.

e.g. p5-Encode complains its own library is mismatched

I expect we wont see any documentation on how to fix this as it seems they want us all to either move to poudriere or packages.

I ended up doing this, and then recompiling proceeds as normal, but do the recompile right after as live system will have errors with missing .so files. Rebuild all the dependencies twice as first time wont be smooth sailing.

Code:
pkg info -o \* |while read pk pt;do pkg list $pt | grep site_perl/.\*\\.so\$ | while read so;do echo "$so";break;done;done | xargs rm

Output of all p5*

---> Packages processed: 151 done, 0 ignored, 0 skipped and 0 failed

Back