CURRENT kernel fails to build

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to build latest CURRENT snapshot from svn, but make kernel fails to build with error messages like
Code:
no member 'command' in ...
-- like when some headers are missing or something.
But am I wrong in my assumption that any given snapshot is supposed to build?

You are wrong with your assumption. On CURRENT you can expect breakage from time to time. The snapshots are taken and built without supervision at arbitrary times so they can be broken in many ways that are only discovered when used.

You are wrong with your assumption. On CURRENT you can expect breakage from time to time. The snapshots are taken and built without supervision at arbitrary times so they can be broken in many ways that are only discovered when used.
Well, is there a way to determine a revision that builds? Though I'm afraid there isn't...

If you want to use CURRENT, it's a good idea to subscribe to the freebsd-current mailing list to keep up with what's happening. Breakage can happen at any time without warning with CURRENT. Things are usually fixed quickly, but issues continually crop up as it is a development branch and as such, to my knowledge, there is no revisions that are guaranteed to build.

If you want to use CURRENT, it's a good idea to subscribe to the freebsd-current mailing list to keep up with what's happening. Breakage can happen at any time without warning with CURRENT. Things are usually fixed quickly, but issues continually crop up as it is a development branch and as such, to my knowledge, there is no revisions that are guaranteed to build.
OK, thank you. I've downloaded a compiled release that finally boots.
SirDice Thank you for the warning. Of course, for that we go to the mailing list...

Well, is there a way to determine a revision that builds? Though I'm afraid there isn't...
Look at the snapshots at e.g. http://ftp.de.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/snapshots/amd64/amd64/ISO-IMAGES/11.0/. There is a revision number in the image filenames and if there is an image that revision compiled.

EDIT: There is a Jenkins instance running on https://jenkins.freebsd.org/ which AFAICT regulary builds FreeBSD.
And a link to the most recent successful build https://jenkins.freebsd.org/job/FreeBSD_HEAD/lastSuccessfulBuild/

Why, thank you, everyone, for your help and patience.
At present I'm having problem with net-im/skype4 not running there -- which was one reason why I tried CURRENT at all.

And the mailing list is none the wiser... well, that was to be expected. But on the positive side of it, I have ports built to 11-CURRENT, which will be useful when it becomes more useful.

Why, thank you, everyone, for your help and patience.
At present I'm having problem with net-im/skype4 not running there -- which was one reason why I tried CURRENT at all.

And the mailing list is none the wiser... well, that was to be expected. But on the positive side of it, I have ports built to 11-CURRENT, which will be useful when it becomes more useful.
OK, I've found the problem:
two (2) more rpms need be added to /compat/linux for it to work:
1) pulseaudio-libs-glib2-0.9.21-21.el6.i686.rpm from CentOS /6 repo
2) security/linux-c6-openssl port installed

Last edited:
Back