Corporate Influence

ralphbsz What you write reminds me of this fungus that infects ants and drives them to suicide. The bigger the company bureaucracy, the more toxic becomes the C level...

I once had a psychological study about the profiles of long term inhabitants of #9 and those dwelling a certain crown owned habitat "to her majesties pleasure" (iow : for ever). Seems like the makeup of high profile career politicans and same level criminals is the same (high functional sociopath). C level seems no different. Let's sink this company and some more, so we can get our wonga some month longer.

In the end, they all sell know how and experience. But that is bound to people and not a company. So lets see how much of it rubs off before those holding it call it a day.

I remember reading about this "memo" sent around IBM when one of the upper managers was visiting. It is talked about on the register.

Was this really the case? That kind of corporate "worship" must be quite suffocating and unproductive. I possibly would contribute this culture to why IBM hasn't really managed to ignite the passion of its developers since the golden age.

We had CEO visits several times. While we never got a memo about "inappropriate behavior", the level of preparation sounds about right. For about a week before the visit, facilities groups prepare things: carpets are steam cleaned, hallways repainted, and so on.

In the south of Berlin there is a road where all buildings were in good repair up to around second floor - exactly as much as you could see from a limo driving you from the politbureau to your datscha... sounds familiar?

owning the stock amounts to a gamble on whether management can successfully absorb Red Hat into the company.

I used to hate the most on Microsoft. Google pushed them out of the most hated spot for me. Though I have disdain for all large corporations so it's not hard for me to dislike any of them. There's plenty of others that can give Google a run for the most hated spot.

Whether any of them are actively evil (though MS might have been and may still be) or simply indifferent to anything but profit, the result seems to be the same. I feel as if RedHat at least gave lip service to being good, I don't know what will happen now.
In the 80's or 90's Staples drove all the small stationers out of business and probably around that time Barnes and Noble did the same to most bookstores. Amazon seems evil to me but in a way they seem as they giving Staples and Barnes & Noble what those two gave their competitors. Amazon as karmic justice?

or simply indifferent to anything but profit,

I wouldn't say they intentionally set out on an evil path, but that's not the problem. It's as you stated, all concerns are secondary to profit. The bigger the corporation, the greater the drive to profit at the cost of everything else. That results in quite a bit of evil conduct right there.

For sure that's what it comes down to, power. We all want it in some way or another. In my case it's only for machines. I have zero interest in controlling the behavior of others and I just don't understand why so many people seem to be obsessed with that. It's my biggest complaint with our culture.

The experience of pure power is much more satisfactory than anything else, including orgasm. That is the way of thinking that makes persons of interest grabbing pussies without the fear ever to be sanctioned.

Who ever actually grabbed one?

I have zero interest in controlling the behavior of others and I just don't understand why so many people seem to be obsessed with that. It's my biggest complaint with our culture.
You may want to read up on Narcistic Personality Disorder. Quite an eye opener, and such stuff should be part of the school curiculum.

Narcistic(!) ? That one you find on most school yards even without any curriculum. ;)

The most effective way of transporting your idea to the public is be convincing them that they need to transport it. All those who aspire to capitalize must bend toward Narcissism. Money is the basis of motives quite often. Narcissism reigns supreme.

Back