Constant page-fault kernel panics with AMD RX 6600 and drm-515-kmod

I (re)installed FreeBSD 14 recently, but it is basically unusable due to constant kernel panics. This only happens when I'm in X11 (XFCE), and also seemingly only when I have Firefox open(?). The stack trace seems to suggest that it's something in the drm, but I'm not sure.

It seems that most crash dumps have one of three stack traces, I have attached examples of all of these, but it seems the drm-related one is most common.

I've tried recompiling drm-kmod (and drm-515-kmod), and the gpu-firmware-* packages from ports, but it didn't seem to help.
I've used FreeBSD 14.0 before, and while it did have some of these panics, they were much less frequent. That might be due to the fact I was using i3 back then, as when I tried CDE briefly today, it didn't panic, but when I tried KDE, my system almost immediately crashed. XFCE worked fine for some time, but it is now completely unusable. It seems the heavier the desktop environment is, the more it crashes?

I ran sysutils/memtest86 just in case it was a hardware issue with my memory, but it passed perfectly fine.

I have an AMD RX 6600, is my GPU just too new or something? It should have support starting from Linux 5.11, so drm-515-kmod should work with it.
I have seen some weird artifacts under Windows before, but they're quite rare, and the GPU still works perfectly fine. They also only started happening after I got a new display, so it's probably just a driver issue, and not a broken GPU.

Attachments

• core.txt.9.txt
    207.6 KB · Views: 70
  • core.txt.2.txt
    299.7 KB · Views: 61
  • core.txt.3.txt
    139.9 KB · Views: 52
I've managed to solve the kernel panics by compiling drm-kmod from the 5.15-lts-focal branch, but now after about 4,5 hours in X11, both my displays go black and I have to reset my computer to get it working again (Everything just hangs, no panic or anything, sound also keeps working). My /var/log/messages has a bunch of drm-related errors, including something about "waiting for fences timed out" (which might make sense as it freezes before the crash) and "GPU reset begin" (Which would maybe explain the black screen?), I've attached it in case anyone wants to take a look at it. Interesting thing is it says GPU reset succeeded, but then it says it failed?

I worry that this may be a hardware issue, as someone with a similar problem (on Linux) said they sent their card back, but others seem to have a very similar problem on FreeBSD (https://bugs.freebsd.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=274770), and my card has been perfectly stable on OpenBSD 7.4 and Linux. I'm still leaning towards this being a driver issue, mainly because it works perfectly on OpenBSD.

Attachments

• messages-2024-01-31.txt
    267.9 KB · Views: 49
Unfortunately I have no solution for this problem, but I also experienced a lot of kernel panics when using X11 with traces down to drm. No problems while running release 13.2, but panics emerged after upgrading to release 14.0. My graphics card is an integrated GPU (Lucienne AMD 5700U CPU) though. Installing package drm-510-kmod instead of drm-515-kmod solved the problem for me, no panics since then. Maybe you can try and see if that works for you too.

… I worry that this may be a hardware issue, …

Extremely unlikely. The symptoms are familiar to me.

No such problem since I began using a slightly more modern notebook that requires the port of a proprietary driver for NVIDIA hardware.

You can make the effect of the bug slightly less disruptive by setting the computer to shut down, not sleep, when the power button is pressed. Then: whenever you're certain that recovery from a graphics reset will not occur: press.

Hello, just for an aside info.

I do use AMD RX 6700 XT which works fine but in Wine with using vulkan stuff like under special circumstances with DXVK and very reproducable with VKD3D i do also get page faults aswell, but no GPU resets or something like that.

Just for that, that you not alone at all.

I'm using an RX 6400 on 14 and it is working nicely. Though I did have an issue with lightdm not starting properly so I turned it off and launch it from terminal after boot instead of having it start in rc.conf

I'm using an RX 6400 on 14 and it is working nicely. Though I did have an issue with lightdm not starting properly so I turned it off and launch it from terminal after boot instead of having it start in rc.conf
Hi, I'm planning to use an RX 6400 on 14.0-STABLE and would like to ask about your experience. Did the lightdm problem go away? I use sddm and KDE and am wondering if they are compatible with the RX 6000. What desktop environment is working for you? And are you using drm-515-kmod or drm-61-kmod? Thanks!

Hi, I'm planning to use an RX 6400 on 14.0-STABLE and would like to ask about your experience. Did the lightdm problem go away? I use sddm and KDE and am wondering if they are compatible with the RX 6000. What desktop environment is working for you? And are you using drm-515-kmod or drm-61-kmod? Thanks!
I have a feeling that issue I was having was due to the hardware I had not necessarily the graphics card. I'm not using the RX6400 myself anymore but I was just using the current drm-kmod in 14.

The 5.15-lts-focal driver (https://github.com/wulf7/drm-kmod/tree/5.15-lts-focal) worked really well for me with KDE and SDDM.

Back