console="nullconsole" in /boot/loader.conf

What happens if I set console="nullconsole" in /boot/loader.conf?

I did that and almost freaked out because the FreeBSD menu didn't show up on reboot, I thought I wasn't even going to be able to roll back to an earlier BE and be locked out of my machine forever.

But it actually proceeded after being stuck on "Loading /boot/loader.conf" and splashing me later with a FreeBSD lofi logo I have never seen before. But no way to select a BE or anything like that.

Anyone knows what that console="nullconsole" do?
 
Bring your story to its conclusion.

"...proceeded after being stuck on "Loading /boot/loader.conf" and splashing me later with a FreeBSD lofi logo I have never seen before. But no way to select a BE or anything like that."

then? You logged in? Some DE started and working as usual? The machine was stoned at a black sceen? What esle?
 
I did that and almost freaked out because the FreeBSD menu didn't show up on reboot
That got me a week ago :p

I found nullconsole when messing with a headless RPi and iirc it boots quicker (can't see console so no point loading it); on my main computer though I sometimes boot single-user and like the boot menu.
 
Back
Top