Solved Compiling PKG failure

I've clean installed FreeBSD 11 to an old laptop: Fujitsu Amilo. The installation is complete and I have root + 1 user.

The first thing I tried to do is compile pkg by the following process:
cd /usr/ports/ports-mgmt/pkg
make install clean

but it fails with the following message (note, the forum's compiler reads 'parentheses - i' as a call for italics, so this is not quite verbatim, it should appear in the 'key' section):
Code:
Making all in Blake2
  CC     sqlite/libsqlite_lasqlite3.lo
sqlite/sqlite3.c:55862:12: warning: unused variable 'pBlock' [-Wunused-variable]
  sqlite3 *pBlock = 0

sqlite/sqlite3.c:60268:11: warning: unused variable 'key' [-Wunused-variable]
  u32 key - get4byte(&apNew->aData[8]);

sqlite/sqlite3.c:8954:262: warning: unused variable 'sqlite3one' [-Wunused-const-variable]
SQLIT_PRIVATE const inst sqlite3one = 1;

I hit ctrl-c to quit the process and the following message appears:
"Compilation failed unexpectedly. Try to set MAKE_JOBS_UNSAFE=yes ad rebuilt before reporting the failure to the maintainer."

Those are not failure messages but just warnings that can be ignored, if there were errors in the compilation would eventually abort on its own.

Those are not failure messages but just warnings that can be ignored, if there were errors in the compilation would eventually abort on its own.

Even though it actually says "Compilation failed"?
Is there anything more I should do?

You only showed the warnings, not the actual errors so I assumed that you panicked and pressed ctrl-c because of that. Post the actual errors.

Hahah, yeah, probably. I ctrl-c after some inactivity. I've rerun make install clean and will let it run longer then post back any other feedback. So far, it just displays the same text I pasted in the first message and goes no further.

Hahah, yeah, probably. I ctrl-c after some inactivity. I've rerun make install clean and will let it run longer then post back any other feedback. So far, it just displays the same text I pasted in the first message and goes no further.
sqlite3.c is a giant C file with about 150000 lines of code that takes quite a while to compile. Don't panic :). FreeBSD supports SIGINFO which prints useful information about a process' state. Press Ctrl-t if you want to see if the compiler is doing anything.

On my test system (virtualbox vm on a mac mini with i5 cpu) it takes about two minutes to build ports-mgmt/pkg and the process is "stuck" at the sqlite3.c for about 20 seconds. It sounds like your system is considerably slower than that and it can look like the build has hung if nothing happens for minutes.

Press Ctrl-t if you want to see if the compiler is doing anything.
Extremely useful keycode! I use it quite often when I think things are "hanging" when they're not. It's great to see if it's actually doing something. I really miss this key on Linux.

It sounds like your system is considerably slower than that

Oh yes, it's a laptop from around 2002. But it's running XFCE fine. I've just hit the wireless card issue again, so it might be time to get that USB adapter you suggested.

Back