Other Cinnamon: Access denied (DRI); Cannot find driver r600; Xorg doesn't load.

Hello,

so I'm pretty happy with X so far, I managed to get a fair bit ahead... it's using the Radeon driver on my FirePro M7820 quite nicely (the FirePro drivers were merged with the Radeon drivers a few years ago even on Windows, it's detected as Juniper).

I installed Clover for OpenCL, which drastically improved performances of KDE4 when I was just testing out the OS. After tweaking the filesystem to my liking, re-extracting the distribution, building everything from scratch, I'm trying to load Cinnamon that I've compiled and installed, and I'm presented with this.

.xinitrc = exec cinnamon --replace

# startx
Access denied.
Cannot load driver r600.
[Then Cinnamon bitches about not being able to find its theme files in its own theme directories, enumerating them.]

Does this strike anything with anyone?

glxinfo shows that OpenGL is working...

X logs don't show it's having problems loading any modules, in fact, they're all built-in...

and if I start X with its default .xinitrc (twm, xclock, etc.) it doesn't show any errors whatsoever. All modules load gracefully, everything is detected, loaded, not a single EE in the log, and I'm using it to write this... when I try loading Cinnamon, it just crashes...

What's going on?

If you need logs, config, ... please let me know.

Did you add the user to video group?

Yup, root and my normal user are both in the "video" group (GID 44, to make sure), and Mode for DRI is 0666 in xorg.conf...

Even if it's root who startx, it says "Access denied." first thing after starting X.

Here's the output of me starting x with cinnamon-session in .xinitrc.

Code:
xauth:  file /home/poorandunlucky/.serverauth.1697 does not exist

X.Org X Server 1.18.4
Release Date: 2016-07-19
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: FreeBSD 11.1-RELEASE-p1 amd64
Current Operating System: FreeBSD dicks 11.1-RELEASE-p1 FreeBSD 11.1-RELEASE-p1 #0: Wed Aug  9 11:55:48 UTC 2017     root@amd64-builder.daemonology.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC amd64
Build Date: 10 November 2017  02:10:17AM
Current version of pixman: 0.34.0
        Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
        to make sure that you have the latest version.
Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
        (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
        (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.2.log", Time: Wed Nov 15 20:07:09 2017
(==) Using config file: "/etc/xorg.conf"
(==) Using system config directory "/usr/local/share/X11/xorg.conf.d"
(II) [KMS] Kernel modesetting enabled.
find: /tmp/.esd-0: Permission denied
find: /tmp/tracker-extract-files.0: Permission denied
find: /tmp/akonadi-root.tV2pgE: Permission denied
find: /tmp/fam-root: Permission denied
find: /tmp/pulse-jXSdOHbOuEZq: Permission denied
find: /tmp/ksocket-root: Permission denied
find: /tmp/kde-root: Permission denied
find: /var/tmp/kdecache-root: Permission denied
Connection failure: Access denied
GNOME_KEYRING_CONTROL=/home/poorandunlucky/.cache/keyring-26UT9Y
Connection failure: Access denied
SSH_AUTH_SOCK=/home/poorandunlucky/.cache/keyring-26UT9Y/ssh
SSH_AUTH_SOCK=/home/poorandunlucky/.cache/keyring-26UT9Y/ssh

(cinnamon-settings-daemon:1732): GVFS-RemoteVolumeMonitor-WARNING **: remote volume monitor with dbus name org.gtk.vfs.HalVolumeMonitor is not supported

(cinnamon-settings-daemon:1732): GVFS-RemoteVolumeMonitor-WARNING **: remote volume monitor with dbus name org.gtk.vfs.GPhoto2VolumeMonitor is not supported

(cinnamon-settings-daemon:1732): power-plugin-WARNING **: Unable to inhibit suspend: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.freedesktop.login1 was not provided by any .service files

(cinnamon-settings-daemon:1732): power-plugin-WARNING **: Unable to inhibit lid switch: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.freedesktop.login1 was not provided by any .service files

(cinnamon-settings-daemon:1732): media-keys-plugin-WARNING **: Unable to inhibit keypresses: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.freedesktop.login1 was not provided by any .service files

** (cinnamon-settings-daemon:1732): WARNING **: Failed to get session for pid: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit.Manager.Error.General: Unable to lookup session information for process '1732'

** (cinnamon-settings-daemon:1732): WARNING **: Failed to get session for pid: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit.Manager.Error.General: Unable to lookup session information for process '1732'

(cinnamon-settings-daemon:1732): color-plugin-WARNING **: failed to get edid: unable to get EDID for output
/usr/local/bin/cinnamon-launcher:8: PyGIWarning: Gtk was imported without specifying a version first. Use gi.require_version('Gtk', '3.0') before import to ensure that the right version gets loaded.
  from gi.repository import Gtk

(cinnamon-settings-daemon:1732): color-plugin-WARNING **: failed to create device: failed to obtain org.freedesktop.color-manager.create-device auth
Window manager warning: Failed to load theme "Adwaita": Failed to find a valid file for theme Adwaita

Window manager warning: Failed to load theme "Simple": Failed to find a valid file for theme Simple

Window manager warning: Failed to load theme "Raleigh": Failed to find a valid file for theme Raleigh

Window manager warning: Failed to load theme "HighContrast": Failed to find a valid file for theme HighContrast

Window manager warning: Failed to load theme "Adwaita": Failed to find a valid file for theme Adwaita

Window manager warning: Failed to load theme "Default": Failed to find a valid file for theme Default

Window manager warning: Failed to load theme "Emacs": Failed to find a valid file for theme Emacs

Window manager warning: Failed to load theme "Adwaita-dark": Failed to find a valid file for theme Adwaita-dark

Window manager error: Could not find a theme! Be sure /usr/local/share/themes exists and contains the usual themes.
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/bin/cinnamon-launcher", line 34, in <module>
    os.execvp(FALLBACK_COMMAND, (FALLBACK_COMMAND,) + FALLBACK_ARGS)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/os.py", line 346, in execvp
    _execvpe(file, args)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/os.py", line 382, in _execvpe
    func(fullname, *argrest)
OSError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory
Gtk-Message: GtkDialog mapped without a transient parent. This is discouraged.
(II) AIGLX: Suspending AIGLX clients for VT switch
xinit: connection to X server lost

waiting for X server to shut down (II) Server terminated successfully (0). Closing log file.

xinit: unexpected signal 2

Hopefully someone can explain, shed a bit of light, or at least maybe point out what I'm not seeing/understanding, or what I don't know what it is...

I wonder why I see xorg trying to load programs from a temp directory? /tmp/
Naughty programs can run from /tmp .
Do you have /tmp clearing at boot via clear_tmp_enable="YES" in /etc/rc.conf ?
I think you need it.
Plus looks like dbus is complaining. Do you have it enabled or one-start'ed?

I wonder why I see xorg trying to load programs from a temp directory? /tmp/
Naughty programs can run from /tmp .
Do you have /tmp clearing at boot via clear_tmp_enable="YES" in /etc/rc.conf ?
I think you need it.
Plus looks like dbus is complaining. Do you have it enabled or one-start'ed?

yeah, and there's also find /tmp -user $USER -delete in .xinitrc...

dbus is enabled, I couldn't figure out why it does that...

Hello,

so I'm pretty happy with X so far, I managed to get a fair bit ahead... it's using the Radeon driver on my FirePro M7820 quite nicely (the FirePro drivers were merged with the Radeon drivers a few years ago even on Windows, it's detected as Juniper).

I installed Clover for OpenCL, which drastically improved performances of KDE4 when I was just testing out the OS. After tweaking the filesystem to my liking, re-extracting the distribution, building everything from scratch, I'm trying to load Cinnamon that I've compiled and installed, and I'm presented with this.

.xinitrc = exec cinnamon --replace

# startx
Access denied.
Cannot load driver r600.
[Then Cinnamon bitches about not being able to find its theme files in its own theme directories, enumerating them.]

Does this strike anything with anyone?

glxinfo shows that OpenGL is working...

X logs don't show it's having problems loading any modules, in fact, they're all built-in...

and if I start X with its default .xinitrc (twm, xclock, etc.) it doesn't show any errors whatsoever. All modules load gracefully, everything is detected, loaded, not a single EE in the log, and I'm using it to write this... when I try loading Cinnamon, it just crashes...

What's going on?

If you need logs, config, ... please let me know.

I am suffering the same problems. Loaded FBSD 11.1 a couple days ago. Got it to work non GUI. Used MC to navigate and get my bearings as my experience is in Solaris, and Linux Mint 18.2. Read a few similar complaints and made some changes, however regretfully the changes are likely no longer needed.. so we burry ourselves in a muck built with others suggestions.

I loaded Gnome3 and got that desktop working. Not my favorite kind of look. Pretty poor compared to Cinnamon or KDE. Been careful to watch for error messages on boot. Finding some that I've posted on my HELP plea.

Hope you get yours done, so you can help me... Ha!

Dave

I'm seeing this on reboot. Doesn't show up when starting. Only when shutting down. But the error messages about mysql-server are bogus... the text is there, and "YES" is witin quotes again... tried it both ways.

Sendmail was supposed to be disabled,,, and it's still running... something rotten in Denmark!

Attachments

• 20171121_113910.jpg
    20171121_113910.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 625
I am suffering the same problems. Loaded FBSD 11.1 a couple days ago. Got it to work non GUI. Used MC to navigate and get my bearings as my experience is in Solaris, and Linux Mint 18.2. Read a few similar complaints and made some changes, however regretfully the changes are likely no longer needed.. so we burry ourselves in a muck built with others suggestions.

I loaded Gnome3 and got that desktop working. Not my favorite kind of look. Pretty poor compared to Cinnamon or KDE. Been careful to watch for error messages on boot. Finding some that I've posted on my HELP plea.

Hope you get yours done, so you can help me... Ha!

Dave

My experience with FreeBSD before the 11 branch was with 8.2, before the KMS/DRM drivers were written by that greek fella who was contracted by IX Systems to write the drivers for PC-BSD, and at the same time, FreeBSD and probably the other BSDs as well...

That was also before FreeBSD had a binary package distribution system, and before software such as Poudriere were available.

As far as Cinnamon is concerned, I've read reviews that it was notoriously "broken" and had been for some time, and while I'm running KDE4, it's not working entirely as I think it normally should or would on another platform out-of-the-box.

I've not pursued Cinnamon for the time being simply because I'm quite happy with KDE4 and since it's a new installation of FreeBSD, I've got bigger fish to fry, but my best advice to you, as a new user, would be to build everything using Poudriere... it's actually a pleasure to use once you know how.

I can't promise you Cinnamon will work even after you compile Xorg, and all dependencies with Poudriere, but I can certainly assure you that your chances of it working will be quite significantly higher, and everything else, the same.

On a brighter note, you may also be pleased to know that KDE5 is being ported to FreeBSD as we speak, and that some people already enjoy using the development releases, so we might be seeing an official port within the next several months, maybe Q1 2018.

Otherwise, I hope you're enjoying your experience, anyway!

Back