chromium - crippled graphics / [no|bad] sound / pulseaudio / hangs / flame

I understand that all people have a hang problem, right?
This problem has appeared in version 52.
I had to switch to slooooow firefox. ://

I managed to build the release version in my latest local ports version and it only took a couple of hours and not the 24 hours plus some people have reported. However the debug version failed to build and I have not had time to track down why.

My experience and observations with the problem:
  • Some pages never hang
  • The pages that do hang a in general more 'complicated'
  • The pages that do hang are not consistent - sometimes killing the page with the Chrome Task Manager and reloading works. Sometimes it take five, ten, twenty times to get a certain page to load
  • Something I have never seen before is opening a link from a page will result in both the old and new pages hanging. And those pages appear to be a single process in the Chrome Task Manager
  • Some pages that hang can be closed. Others will not close until they are killed in the Chrome Task Manager.
  • Starting Chrome with all Extensions disabled has no effect on the hangs
  • Deleting or using a new profile directory has no effect on the hangs
Debugging large Unix apps like Chrome is not my area of expertise and I doubt I can personally track down what is going wrong if I do get the debug version built. If there really is no one with both the experience, willingness, and powerful enough workstation to track down and fix this problem, it might be possible for a debug version of chromium to be made available and some basic guidelines for people to gather info on the app state when pages are hung.

Back