Choice of a web browser

we should let (x)html lives its commercial purpose and development, supported by biggest Apple, Microsoft, Google,... of computer industry.
A good way would be maybe to re-visit the html for other purposes than only money.e

The web killed html.

Maybe we need to use another html and leave it to junk.

What about md for a new markup language ? What about a fast, new experience markdown web browser only (no html at all)?

Spartrekus I didn't looked close but it should be about binding for another languages. I mean, apdf is written in Ada, and if someone want to integrate it in a software written in another language that would need bindings; however this message is for the Ada community, like if you want something that does what apdf does you can use it (apdf), and not need to mess writing bindings for your Ada software. ;)

I'll try to slightly hijack this thread. Looks like Palemoon is going to be removed soon https://svnweb.freebsd.org/ports?view=revision&revision=497995 and version in port is unsupported and vulnerable.
I use it for Pentadactyl extension as I prefer vim-like binding. As Waterfox was removed too, am I right that there are no browsers left with XUL extensions except Palemoon?
That's really bad.
Did you try www/qutebrowser?
qutebrowser is a keyboard-focused browser with a minimal GUI. It’s based on Python and PyQt5 and free software, licensed under the GPL.
It was inspired by other browsers/addons like dwb and Vimperator/Pentadactyl.

I am not so sure that a browser should run on qt and python.
Does is really help to find the best web browser to use something that is definitely slow i.e. html , i.e. the whole web.

Is there something else than Internet, especially for scientists and academic stuffs.
Maybe have Carnegie, MIT, ... a sub internet that would be dedicated to serious stuffs.

www/qutebrowser doesn't have uMatrix-like functionality. Actually, it doesn't have even ad blocker. I can't imagine myself browsing web without all third party stuff disabled in uMatrix by default. Even my online banking has google script included after login.

www/qutebrowser doesn't have uMatrix-like functionality. Actually, it doesn't have even ad blocker. I can't imagine myself browsing web without all third party stuff disabled in uMatrix by default. Even my online banking has google script included after login.
I know. I am using it just for the safe sites.
You can read about uMatrix (I like it too):
https://github.com/qutebrowser/qutebrowser/issues/28
Qutebrowser has built in adblocker which works.

Respecting to the browser...well, once time ago a user recommended me to use Midori.
And I must say that it is not a "OMFG look this", but if you want some easy to install, beside lightly (as I know 'cause I never monitored it, just saw that runs smooth and fast), then it's for you.
I have no known about their privacy aspect, but if you are still wondering, stay with Firefox. It is still working fine, despite the years the proyect have.

I use seamonkey as my main browser, because it works well and has no issues for me when using it. I only use the browser part of it. While ago I dumped firefox, because very often it uses too much CPU for nothing and I figured out that it only partly was caused by the websites visited. The huge CPU causes the browser to stall and makes my box noisy. Besides that firefox did some strange things as proposing an experiment with unasked advertising in the browser and I use to run away from that kind of things.

Recently I started using qutebrowser and it is a fine and responsive browser. I like the vim keybinds both for convenience and as an extra training for vim. The only backlash is the Qt-engine that also seems to draw a lot of CPU.

When in CLI, I only use lynx -- fast, no frills and it demonstrates the over use of cookies on several websites.

links -g whatever.com : it can offer as well graphics.
It runs too on X11.

elinks is nice too, but it is much more advanced than elinks.

I use seamonkey as my main browser, because it works well and has no issues for me when using it. I only use the browser part of it. While ago I dumped firefox, because very often it uses too much CPU for nothing and I figured out that it only partly was caused by the websites visited. The huge CPU causes the browser to stall and makes my box noisy. Besides that firefox did some strange things as proposing an experiment with unasked advertising in the browser and I use to run away from that kind of things.

Recently I started using qutebrowser and it is a fine and responsive browser. I like the vim keybinds both for convenience and as an extra training for vim. The only backlash is the Qt-engine that also seems to draw a lot of CPU.

When in CLI, I only use lynx -- fast, no frills and it demonstrates the over use of cookies on several websites.
There are two engine options:
Configuration Options ===> The following configuration options are available for qutebrowser-1.6.1:
====> Options available for the multi BACKEND: you have to choose at least one of them
WEBKIT=on: WebKit webpage renderer support
WEBENGINE=on: WebEngine webpage renderer support
===> Use 'make config' to modify these settings
But which one is worse? :)

drhowarddrfine:
Your attitude is awkward.
It is sad.

I've noticed when presented with facts or an argument you can't refute as a response to some claim you have made you resort to this type of baseless response as a last resort. Sad.

You can't refute either of his statements in response to your claim "HTML killed the web" since here we are on the web in a forum that uses HTML. Awkward.

Now you want your posts left in peace with your point the final word as truth beyond reproach? Beaten.

XHTML was pretty new when I went to w3schools to learn HTML, so that's what I learned along with CSS. My pages are plain and simple to the point of embarrassment, my code valid and easy to read as this type and my pages (sans images) load very quickly. That's the payoff to plain and simple web design and handwritten valid code. Feel free to run any of my pages on a download test for speed.

It's not the web that is slow, it's dancing baloney, ads for clicks mentality, bad web design and lack of common sense among the mindless masses to disable most of that nonsense globally by default.

Does is really help to find the best web browser to use something that is definitely slow i.e. html , i.e. the whole web.

This is a recent speed test using Firefox over my cable connection.

speedtest.png

The web being "slow" a fallacy you have put forth multiple times, unless you have dial-up and a cool retro sounding modem. Your suggestion on implementing yet another version of the internet for scientist and academic and serious stuffs based on your idea that HTML is slow and the web is dead. I don't have any complaints about my internet speed or problems setting up my browsers. I had 7 terminals open yesterday all running www/youtube_dl at once and it was no problem at all.

Text-based browsers are fine for their purpose and if it suits your browsing needs better yet. I use Mozilla based browsers for the extensions and the overall view of the page, being interested in other peoples work.

When I teach Demonica I keep 5-6 Forge tabs open, 1 to dictionary.com and 1 to thesaurus.com as a reference to dialog with a lot of quick copy and paste work for hours on end. It would be an arduous task to use a text based browser and productivity slow to a crawl. One of those pages are her chat page and it runs on JS, so a text browser a total failure for my requirements in that respect, Unsuitable at best for most when I can look at the whole forum page at once with Firefox, at worst clunky and a hindrance to how I work using a browser.

I don't care how much people rave about text editors or despise others either. I'm much more productive with editors/leafpad when working on my sites. Nothing else matters to me but getting it done right as quickly as possible.

Just because you prefer brown pennyloafers doesn't mean they're better than my Converse Cons bball shoes, that everyone should change shoe styles for a better walking experience, or that sidewalks will be replaced by George Jetson moving walkways because someone keeps stubbing their toe walking in flipflops.

Maybe have Carnegie, MIT, ... a sub internet that would be dedicated to serious stuffs.

The Russians are testing out their own private internet.

Mr. President, we cannot allow a sub-internet gap!

Seamonkey is marked for removal as well, so it would be a poor choose.
I started firefox tests, but suddenly all extensions was set to disabled/unsupported state. =/ What's going on with these nasty browsers...

Back