Choice of a web browser

Ublock Origin works for me - I probably installed the Firefox version in Seamonkey without any problems. See attached pic (top right).

Attachments

• uo.png
    uo.png
    77.5 KB · Views: 348
It's only being available for Firefox seems incorrect. I use it on FreeBSD in Waterfox, and I think I did in Chromium (I don't have Chromium on FreeBSD right now) and also have it on Google-chrome in Linux.

Just to blow your minds, the same guy who wrote the original Mozilla code also wrote the original code used for Internet Explorer: Marc Andreessen.

The original code for Internet Explorer was from Mosaic which was developed at the National Center for Supercomputing Applications at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign in 1992 - Marc Andreessen was head of that group. Microsoft licensed Mosaic to create Internet Explorer in 1995. Marc went on to start Mosaic Communications Corporation which became Netscape Communications Corporation and responsible for Netscape Navigator (browser only) and Netscape Communicator (browser, email client, newsreader and HTML editor). After Netscape folded, Netscape Communicator became Mozilla Suite and finally today's Seamonkey.

Ublock Origin works for me - I probably installed the Firefox version in Seamonkey without any problems. See attached pic (top right).
I want to ask how could you do that? I'm just wiped my old SeaMonkey installation for a reinstall and still see it only available for firefox, no seamonkey version. Sorry I'm noob, if there is some way to hack force install Firefox xpi on SeaMonkey please point to me, thanks.
It's only being available for Firefox seems incorrect. I use it on FreeBSD in Waterfox, and I think I did in Chromium (I don't have Chromium on FreeBSD right now) and also have it on Google-chrome in Linux.
Uhm, does Waterfox just Firefox optimized for 64 bit, huh? Ublock Origin has Chrome/Chromium version, I'm using it, too.

giahung1997, yes, you're right, Waterfox is pretty much a version of Firefox. I misunderstood your first statement though, thinking you meant that Ublock would only work with Firefox (as opposed to Chrome, using the Chrome version)

I want to ask how could you do that? I'm just wiped my old SeaMonkey installation for a reinstall and still see it only available for firefox, no seamonkey version. Sorry I'm noob, if there is some way to hack force install Firefox xpi on SeaMonkey please point to me, thanks.

I went to the author's site (https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/releases) with Seamonkey, clicked on the uBlock0.firefox.xpi file, it downloaded and installed as normal (you're lucky I was in the middle of bringing up a new FreeBSD computer and so had a freshly compiled Seamonkey available to play with for you).

I went to the author's site (https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/releases) with Seamonkey, clicked on the uBlock0.firefox.xpi file, it downloaded and installed as normal (you're lucky I was in the middle of bringing up a new FreeBSD computer and so had a freshly compiled Seamonkey available to play with for you).
Thank you. I've followed your instruction and successfully installed Ublock Origin.

was wondering if there might be a few gems for FreeBSD I've not come across.

I'm not aware that there is any FreeBSD specific browser. I use FF58 now and it's very many times more fast and capable than Firefox 56 was. Simply no comparison at all. Apart from that, my favorite alternatives are Qupzilla and Lynx.

Started in 2011, newest reply last year.

I'm getting the best font rendering with Firefox, it's actually better than Chrome on my win machine. There's some things I don't like about Chromium on FreeBSD. Really have no complaints with FireFox other than it's probably the heaviest installation. It has changed a lot since I last tried it a few years ago.

I think it's between SeaMonkey and Firefox at this point. What's would be the pros and cons there?

CraigHB Do you get the problem with tabs crashing?

I'm using release 11.1 and it seems to be working okay with the FF58 pkg version for the most part, though I have had the startup tab crash a couple times leaving a dump from FF in the home directory. I was playing around with settings a lot at the time so I just chalked it up to that. I haven't used FF58 a whole lot yet, but if it does it all the time that would be a problem.

Oh Okay. I'm not going to use Chromium. I've been running Chrome on Windows for some time and have been threatening to get away from it for a while. I'm running FF58 on the FreeBSD machine right now and have things set up the way I want. It's running really good for me. Probably going to stick with that. It's also sold me on switching over on the Windows machines when I get around to it. They've changed it a lot since I last tried it. Happy with the changes, big improvements. It feels snappy too which is not something I can say for Chrome on Windows. I can't see a reason not to run it over SeaMonkey other than it's a bit heavier.

I'm a Qupzilla user too. Unfortunately the port version is becoming quite old, so I use Firefox-ESR when I want to be on the safe side. Looking forward to the new Falkon browser though.

Back