[CFT] skype-4.2.0.11 port

cpm@

Developer
All the related discussion is currently on the freebsd-emulation mailing list. Everyone is invited to test it and report all the issues that could encounter when build/install the new port release. Also it's just to note that it includes the CentOS 6 infrastructure ports which it have been ported to FreeBSD.

Please, for further details, read here.

Thanks for your contribution :)

cpm said:
Everyone is invited to test it and report all the issues ... Thanks for your contribution :)
Why should I test a piece of software that is known to be used as a surveillance instrument? Is that issue resolved?

Erratus said:
Why should I test a piece of software that is known to be used as a surveillance instrument? Is that issue resolved?

What software are you recommended which is FreeBSD/Linux/Windows/OS X compatible, please and is not a "surveillance instrument"?
The encrypted smoke signals?

Erratus said:

Haha, your thinking make sense in this case. I don't really matter if NSA uses Skype, only I want to check that it works fine on FreeBSD. Indeed, I know that we have a bunch of nice alternatives.

Of course, you are welcome despite you don't want to test it ;)

I really need Skype to communicate with people and I don't have any secret information on my desktop. Of course we would like to have an alternative, but there is none. So this port is for people like me, who use FreeBSD on the desktop and need Skype.

Of course, if you want to use Skype4 on FreeBSD then follow the instructions to install it. All it's clearly detailed in this GitHub repository. Also exist other alternatives to Skype discussed in this thread. So go ahead :)

Hi.

I've installed it successfully, but it only shows a blank window :( When I run it from a terminal window, it prints the following messages:

Code:
[CMD]% skype[/CMD] 
Fontconfig error: "/usr/local/etc/fonts/conf.d/10-scale-bitmap-fonts.conf", line 70: non-double matrix element
Fontconfig error: "/usr/local/etc/fonts/conf.d/10-scale-bitmap-fonts.conf", line 70: non-double matrix element
Fontconfig warning: "/usr/local/etc/fonts/conf.d/10-scale-bitmap-fonts.conf", line 78: saw unknown, expected number
/usr/local/bin/skype: line 2: 39517 Aborted                 (core dumped) /usr/local/share/skype/skype --resources=/usr/local/share/skype --disable-api $@

Here is a screen shot of the window: http://i42.tinypic.com/qrmezd.png

More information about my system:

Code:
[CMD]% uname -a; sysctl compat.linux | head -2; grep OVERRIDE_LINUX_ /etc/make.conf[/CMD]
FreeBSD minootux 9.2-STABLE FreeBSD 9.2-STABLE #0 r256021: Thu Oct  3 22:42:34 IRST 2013     root@minootux:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64
compat.linux.oss_version: 198144
compat.linux.osrelease: 2.6.18
OVERRIDE_LINUX_BASE_PORTS=c6
OVERRIDE_LINUX_NONBASE_PORTS=c6

I found a core file in my home directory:

Code:
% [CMD]file skype.core[/CMD]
skype.core: ELF 32-bit LSB core file Intel 80386, version 1 (FreeBSD), FreeBSD-style, from 'pe'

But:
Code:
(gdb)[CMD] core skype.core [/CMD]
"/usr/home/javad/skype.core" is not a core dump: File format is ambiguous
(gdb)

cpm said:
Of course, if you want to use Skype4 on FreeBSD then follow the instructions to install it. All it's clearly detailed in this GitHub repository.

Thanks for this initiative, I'd like to test it but I haven't yet found how to merge the tree that I have checked out through svn into the ports tree. Using a simple mv won't do it and it refuses to compile "in place".

Also, could you please add to the GitHub Readme the instructions for enabling Linux compatibility? I mean kldload linux (and maybe the modifications to rc.conf), necessary before using sysctl and start compiling.

Hi @bkouhi,

Be sure that you have deleted all the linux-f10* ports. Please, show the following output pkg_info -Ix linux

I show you my output:
Code:
[CMD]% pkg_info -Ix linux[/CMD] 
linux-c6-alsa-lib-1.0.22 Advanced Linux Sound Architecture libraries (Linux CentOS 6.2)
linux-c6-alsa-plugins-oss-1.0.21 OSS plugin for ALSA (Linux CentOS 6.2)
linux-c6-atk-1.28.0 Accessibility Toolkit, Linux/i386 binary (Linux CentOS 6.2)
linux-c6-cairo-1.8.8 Vector graphics library Cairo (Linux CentOS 6.2)
linux-c6-curl-7.19.7 Command line tool for transferring files with URL syntax (Linux CentOS 6.2)
linux-c6-cyrus-sasl2-2.1.23 RFC 2222 SASL (Simple Authentication and Security Layer) (Linux CentOS 6.2)
linux-c6-dbus-libs-1.2.24 Libraries for accessing D-BUS (Linux Fedora  6.2)
linux-c6-dri-7.11   >Mesa libGL runtime libraries (Linux CentOS 6.2)
linux-c6-expat-2.0.1 Linux/i386 binary port of Expat XML-parsing library (Linux CentOS 6.2)
linux-c6-flashplugin-11.2r202.327 Adobe Flash Player NPAPI Plugin
linux-c6-fontconfig-2.8.0 XML-based font configuration API for X Windows (Linux CentOS 6.2)
linux-c6-gtk2-2.18.9 GTK+ library, version 2.X  (Linux CentOS 6.2)
linux-c6-jpeg-6b    RPM of the JPEG lib (Linux CentOS 6.2)
linux-c6-libssh2-1.2.2 Library implementing the SSH2 protocol (Linux CentOS 6.2)
linux-c6-nspr-4.8.8 Netscape Portable Runtime (Linux CentOS 6.2)
linux-c6-nss-3.12.10 Network Security Services (Linux CentOS 6.2)
linux-c6-openldap-2.4.23 Lightweight Directory Access Protocol libraries (Linux CentOS 6.2)
linux-c6-openssl-1.0.0 OpenSSL toolkit (Linux CentOS 6.2)
linux-c6-openssl-compat-0.9.8e OpenSSL toolkit (Linux CentOS 6.2)
linux-c6-pango-1.28.1 Pango library (Linux  CentOS 6.2)
linux-c6-png-1.2.46 RPM of the PNG lib (Linux CentOS 6.2)
linux-c6-qt47-4.7.2 RPM of QT4 (Linux CentOS 5)
linux-c6-qt47-webkit-4.7.2 RPM of QT4 (Linux CentOS 5)
linux-c6-qt47-x11-4.7.2 RPM of QT4 (Linux CentOS 5)
linux-c6-sqlite3-3.6.20 Library that implements an embeddable SQL database engine (Linux CentOS 6.2)
linux-c6-tiff-3.9.4 TIFF library (Linux CentOS 6.2)
linux-c6-xorg-libs-7.4 Xorg libraries (Linux CentOS 6.2)
linux_base-c6-6.2_1 Base set of packages needed in Linux mode for i386/amd64 (Linux CentOS 6.2)

I guess by comparing the list of installed ports we can find out where is the problem.

For the record when you remove emulators/linux_base-f10 includes in its pkg-deinstall an script with some instructions that you must follow before you attempt to install emulators/linux_base-c6.
Code:
[CMD]% cat /usr/ports/emulators/linux_base-f10/pkg-deinstall[/CMD]
#!/bin/sh
# a deinstallation script for linux_base

case "$2" in
DEINSTALL)
	if [ -n "`mount | grep ^linproc`" ] || \
		[ -d /compat/linux/proc ]; then
		echo ""
		echo "You may need to do by hand:"
		echo "  o  unmount linprocfs if mounted"
		echo "  o  delete ${PKG_PREFIX}/proc if present"
		echo "  o  remove/comment linprocfs from /etc/fstab if present"
		echo ""
	fi
	;;
esac

exit 0

You need only do rm -R /compat/linux/proc and recreate again the /proc directory.

You should have present this line in /etc/fstab:
Code:
linproc		/compat/linux/proc	linprocfs	rw	0	0

Last edited by a moderator:
Juanitou said:
Thanks for this initiative, I’d like to test it but I haven’t yet found how to merge the tree that I have checked out through svn into the ports tree. Using a simple mv won’t do it and it refuses to compile “in place”.

Right now, you can download as a zip file or by using devel/git and you should replace all in your /usr/ports. Note that Skype4 ports will be merged in the ports tree when it be stable.

Juanitou said:
Also, could you please add to the GitHub Readme the instructions for enabling Linux compatibility? I mean kldload linux (and maybe the modifications to rc.conf), necessary before using sysctl and start compiling.

Regarding to add the instructions for enabling Linux Binary Compatibility (LBC) in the README.md could be fine, so thanks for your input :)

PS. Your request was committed.

I only have:

Code:
[CMD]% pkg_info -Ix linux [/CMD]
linux-c6-alsa-lib-1.0.22 Advanced Linux Sound Architecture libraries (Linux CentOS 6
linux-c6-alsa-plugins-oss-1.0.21 OSS plugin for ALSA (Linux CentOS 6.2)
linux-c6-dbus-libs-1.2.24 Libraries for accessing D-BUS (Linux Fedora  6.2)
linux-c6-dri-7.11   >Mesa libGL runtime libraries (Linux CentOS 6.2)
linux-c6-expat-2.0.1 Linux/i386 binary port of Expat XML-parsing library (Linux 
linux-c6-fontconfig-2.8.0 XML-based font configuration API for X Windows (Linux CentO
linux-c6-jpeg-6b    RPM of the JPEG lib (Linux CentOS 6.2)
linux-c6-openssl-compat-0.9.8e OpenSSL toolkit (Linux CentOS 6.2)
linux-c6-png-1.2.46 RPM of the PNG lib (Linux CentOS 6.2)
linux-c6-qt47-4.7.2 RPM of QT4 (Linux CentOS 5)
linux-c6-qt47-webkit-4.7.2 RPM of QT4 (Linux CentOS 5)
linux-c6-qt47-x11-4.7.2 RPM of QT4 (Linux CentOS 5)
linux-c6-sqlite3-3.6.20 Library that implements an embeddable SQL database engine (
linux-c6-tiff-3.9.4 TIFF library (Linux CentOS 6.2)
linux-c6-xorg-libs-7.4 Xorg libraries (Linux CentOS 6.2)
linux_base-c6-6.2_1 Base set of packages needed in Linux mode for i386/amd64 (L

It seems that some ports are missing in my ports tree:

Code:
[CMD]% psearch linux-c6-atk[/CMD]
[CMD]% [/CMD]
(no output)

I merged the files from the repository in my /usr/ports in this way:

% git clone [url=http://github.com/cpu82/skype4-ports.git]http://github.com/cpu82/skype4-ports.git[/url]
% cp -r skype4-ports/* /usr/ports/

I try to install missing ports.

Oh, I'm so sorry guys, I completely forgot about linprocfs :r I apologize for that. Now skype works fine. I don't have a webcam right now, but all other parts works as expected.

MAN said:
Did you mount linprocfs and linsysfs?

Yes, Skype depends on linprocfs(5)() being loaded. Check if it can be loaded and mounted by running:
Code:
# kldload linprocfs
# mount -t linprocfs linproc /compat/linux/proc

If this works, add in /etc/fstab
Code:
linproc       /compat/linux/proc      linprocfs       rw      0       0

Also, it could be loaded from /boot/loader.conf
Code:
linprocfs_load="YES"             # Linux compatibility process filesystem

I think, it's necessary rewrite again the /usr/ports/net-im/skype4/pkg-message to include the missing instructions (currently is outdated).

bkouhi said:
Oh, I'm so sorry guys, I completely forgot about linprocfs :r I apologize for that. Now skype works fine. I don't have a webcam right now, but all other parts works as expected.

Thank you for your feedback ;)

Ah, I'd forgotten that too--I had done kldload linux (necessary to install the c6 ports), but hadn't mounted linuxprocfs(5). The port had built, but when I started it, I was unable to get past the accept screen. (When pointing people to the instructions, if mention of loading and mounting linuxprocfs isn't in them, it might be useful to add it.) :)

I still can't get sound or camera working with it, but haven't yet spent much time trying. (Sound and camera do work on the machine.)

Just for fun, I also tried to install it on a 10 beta, but it didn't succeed, saying that bsd.linux-apps.mk test failed, suggesting I remove the IGNORE line in the make file for openssl-compat.

As the bsd.linux-apps.mk is one of the files provided for the skype4 port, and looking it, with my limited knowledge, it wasn't obvious to me which of the IGNORE lines needed to be commented out, and did that also mean I should comment out the if statements in which they were, I stopped at that point.

IMHO, is preferable to add all this points in the pkg-message as I argued earlier. I guess that the port maintainer shall commit the changes.

For the record, the contents of this thread will serve to improve/update the net-im/skype4 port objectively :)

scottro said:
I still can't get sound or camera working with it, but haven't yet spent much time trying. (Sound and camera do work on the machine.)

Sound works for me by changing "Default device (default)" to "Open Sound System (OSS)" in the "Options -> Sound Devices". Please try that and see if it works.

Portmaster fails here at the end of www/linux-c6-qt47-webkit install:
Code:
===> Checking if www/linux-c6-qt47-webkit already installed
===>  Registering installation for linux-c6-qt47-webkit-4.7.2
pkg-static: lstat(/usr/ports/www/linux-c6-qt47-webkit/work/stage/compat/linux/usr/lib/qt47/imports/QtwebKit/qmldir/): Not a directory
*** [fake-pkg] Error code 74

Stop in /usr/ports/www/linux-c6-qt47-webkit.
===>>> Installation of linux-c6-qt47-webkit-4.7.2 (www/linux-c6-qt47-webkit) failed
===>>> Aborting update

===>>> Killing background jobs

===>>> You can restart from the point of failure with this command line:
portmaster <flags> net-im/skype4 www/linux-c6-qt47-webkit

I’m working on a 9.2-RELEASE VMware image, fully patched, with the ports tree up to date.

@bkouhi, thank you yes, that enabled me to get sound. However, it's still failing when I try a test call, with a message that audio capture failed.

Still, it's a step forward.

Juanitou said:
Portmaster fails here at the end of www/linux-c6-qt47-webkit install:
Code:
===> Checking if www/linux-c6-qt47-webkit already installed
===>  Registering installation for linux-c6-qt47-webkit-4.7.2
pkg-static: lstat(/usr/ports/www/linux-c6-qt47-webkit/work/stage/compat/linux/usr/lib/qt47/imports/QtwebKit/qmldir/): Not a directory
*** [fake-pkg] Error code 74

Stop in /usr/ports/www/linux-c6-qt47-webkit.
===>>> Installation of linux-c6-qt47-webkit-4.7.2 (www/linux-c6-qt47-webkit) failed
===>>> Aborting update

===>>> Killing background jobs

===>>> You can restart from the point of failure with this command line:
portmaster <flags> net-im/skype4 www/linux-c6-qt47-webkit

I’m working on a 9.2-RELEASE VMware image, fully patched, with the ports tree up to date.

Reinstall ports-mgmt/pkg and try to install www/linux-c6-qt47-webkit again. If it fails then you should try to clear down the ports tree and do a fresh portsnap fetch extract before you retry it.

scottro said:
@bkouhi, thank you yes, that enabled me to get sound. However, it's still failing when I try a test call, with a message that audio capture failed.

Still, it's a step forward.

Do you use a microphone or a headset? Run skype from console and see if it shows any wrong message when you try a test call. Also show the output of dmesg.

Take a look to this article of the Skype support page.

cpm said:
Reinstall ports-mgmt/pkg and try to install www/linux-c6-qt47-webkit again. If it fails then you should try to clear down the ports tree and do a fresh portsnap fetch extract before you retry it.

Thanks, but it doesn't work, I cannot even reinstall pkg after bootstrapping it. I'm quite sure the problem is that this VM has seen too much experimental silliness from me: going forth and back through major upgrades with portsnap, mixing ports and packages and so on. I'm going to install a brand new image to test the Skype port and will report back as soon as possible.

Back