certain SATA drives not 'seen'

Hi,
I recently bought some new SATA drives and they are not seen by the system. They are KingBank SSD drives.
I see them found by the kernel loader, but they are not seen as ada drives for example. I have an Intel drive that works just fine though.

The motherboard is a S2882d Tyan and the SATA chip is a silicon image 3114
I am trying with the latest FreeBD 13.1.

Thanks for any advice,
Ed

ls -ltr /dev
What does that show? Does that show the new drives?
You say "see them found by the kernel loader" what do the messages say for the device?

There's pretty much not much to go on to help your

ls -ltr /dev
What does that show? Does that show the new drives?
You say "see them found by the kernel loader" what do the messages say for the device?

There's pretty much not much to go on to help your
I only see the intel drive in /dev/

Booting shows something like C: and D:. It goes fairly quick.

Need you to answer this question.
I think back up in post #4 OP says he sees them in the BIOS.
I would stop in the BIOS and actually see if the BIOS detects the devices. Maybe double check that data and power cables are plugged in correctly. While stopped in the BIOS, as larshenrikoern says "double check that the devices are not disabled".

Do your mind showing us the entire contents of /dev here. I am quite sure it is somewhere in there. Maybe as an nvme. Try to enable the driver in /boot/loader.conf with nvme_load="YES"

Do your mind showing us the entire contents of /dev here. I am quite sure it is somewhere in there. Maybe as an nvme. Try to enable the driver in /boot/loader.conf with nvme_load="YES"
/dev listing:

Code:
acpi            console         devctl          kbd1            music0          sequencer0      ttyu1.lock      ttyvb
ada0            consolectl      devctl2         kbdmux0         netdump         sndstat         ttyv0           ufssuspend
ada0p1          crypto          devstat         klog            netmap          stderr          ttyv1           ugen0.1
ada0p2          ctty            fd              kmem            null            stdin           ttyv2           ugen1.1
ada0p3          cuau0           fido            log             pass0           stdout          ttyv3           ugen1.2
apm             cuau0.init      full            lpt0            pass1           sysmouse        ttyv4           uinput
apmctl          cuau0.lock      geom.ctl        lpt0.ctl        pci             tcp_log         ttyv5           urandom
atkbd0          cuau1           gpt             mdctl           pfil            ttyu0           ttyv6           usb
audit           cuau1.init      hpet0           mem             ppi0            ttyu0.init      ttyv7           usbctl
auditpipe       cuau1.lock      input           midistat        pts             ttyu0.lock      ttyv8           xpt0
bpf             da0             io              mlx5ctl         random          ttyu1           ttyv9           zero
bpf0            da0s1           kbd0            msdosfs         reroot          ttyu1.init      ttyva           zfs

camcontrol devlist -v
geom -t
Code:
ed@DualOpt275-FreeBSD:~ $ sudo camcontrol devlist -v
Password:
scbus0 on ata2 bus 0:
<>                                 at scbus0 target -1 lun ffffffff ()
scbus1 on ata3 bus 0:
<>                                 at scbus1 target -1 lun ffffffff ()
scbus2 on ata4 bus 0:
<>                                 at scbus2 target -1 lun ffffffff ()
scbus3 on ata5 bus 0:
<INTEL SSDSA2CW080G3 4PC10302>     at scbus3 target 0 lun 0 (pass0,ada0)
<>                                 at scbus3 target -1 lun ffffffff ()
scbus4 on ata0 bus 0:
<>                                 at scbus4 target -1 lun ffffffff ()
scbus5 on ata1 bus 0:
<>                                 at scbus5 target -1 lun ffffffff ()
scbus6 on umass-sim0 bus 0:
<hp v125w 1100>                    at scbus6 target 0 lun 0 (pass1,da0)
scbus-1 on xpt0 bus 0:
<>                                 at scbus-1 target -1 lun ffffffff (xpt0)
ed@DualOpt275-FreeBSD:~ $ sudo geom -t
Geom                  Class      Provider
ada0                  DISK       ada0
  ada0                PART       ada0p1
    ada0p1            LABEL      gpt/gptboot0
      gpt/gptboot0    DEV
    ada0p1            DEV
  ada0                PART       ada0p2
    swap              SWAP
    ada0p2            DEV
  ada0                PART       ada0p3
    zfs::vdev         ZFS::VDEV
    ada0p3            DEV
  ada0                DEV
da0                   DISK       da0
  da0                 PART       da0s1
    da0s1             LABEL      msdosfs/UBCD539
      msdosfs/UBCD539 DEV
    da0s1             DEV
  da0                 DEV
ed@DualOpt275-FreeBSD:~ $

This one? https://www.tyan.com/Motherboards_S2882-D_Thunder K8SD Pro
Integrated SATA Controller
• Silicon Image Sil3114 SATA RAID Accelerator
• Supports S-ATA 1.0 specification
• Supports 4 channel SATA port for up to four
SATA devices
• Supports RAID 0, 1, 0+1
• Connected to legacy 32-bit 33MHz PCI bus

Check your BIOS/UEFI settings and make sure RAID is turned off, if possible set this to AHCI or IDE. AHCI would be preferable but I'm not sure if this old board supports that.

Have you mounted it as an external usb drive ?? If so it is the da0 drive. I am sure everyone here assume an internal drive. Otherwise Sir Dices suggestion is the obvious one

Set it to Ultra, which means Ultra-ATA. If that doesn't work, the problem might be that the ports are SATA 1.0 and the drive refuses to talk down to it?

Set it to Ultra, which means Ultra-ATA. If that doesn't work, the problem might be that the ports are SATA 1.0 and the drive refuses to talk down to it?
I think you may be onto something here. A quick following of the link and specs seem to indicate SATA1.0 on the motherboard, generically it looks like the KingBank SSD is SATAIII so maybe not downgrading speeds.

I looked into the booting process some more. How are the drives in the boot seen by the OS? I see drive A:, C:, and D:., but only A: and C: are brought forward as /dev/fd0 and /dev/ad0. Am I missing something with fdisk and/or newfs?

Back