Can't use startx

I am a freebsd newbie came from GNU/Linux. After installing xorg, I type startx command. But I got errors

Attachments

• 20201015_124533.jpg
    20201015_124533.jpg
    336.7 KB · Views: 301
I tried to use Xorg on VirtualBox and VMware. Unlike Linux, FreeBSD does not modify itself when you install xorg and gnome. I tried both of them(FreeBSD and Feodra), and I think Fedora is more automated than FreeBSD. I gave using using Xorg anyway so now, I use cli with zsh. If you really need to use GUI, I suggest using multiboot, not virtual machine. If you are not using virtual machine, you should set your driver(graphic cards, keyboard, mouse. usually, you don't need to configure keyboard and mouse.) as SirDice said

*sigh*......
And typing into google his error-message, i found this:

Nevermind that he tries to start x as root.....

• Thanks
Reactions: a6h
Last time i had this problem. I have created an /usr/local/share/xorg.conf.d/modedri.conf with the following content:

Code:
Section "Device"

Identifier "Card0"

Driver     "modesetting"

BusID    "PCI:1:0:0"

EndSection

The BusID can be read with pciconf -lv | grep -B 4 VGA

And generates more heat, need more RAM, consume more CPU time (*).

I think he is referring to the amount post install configuration handled by the systems package management which by itself probably won't be using any measurable amount of extra resources. I don't have much experience with Fedora so it might very well be true that its automatic default configurations are somewhat on the resource hungry side. If or to which extend automatic configuration is beneficial is debatable anyways. Some kind of optional post install script likely wouldn't hurt though. This way everyone is happy. I mean it's not exactly far fetched that if you install DE X you likely want it to be the default and as long as it's possible to reject this kind of automagic i think it's neither hard to implement (in most cases) or has any actual drawback.

I've been trying a couple mail servers lately and if i remember correctly only a single one even had a message telling me what i had to do to get it working and i really wouldn't have objected to a question along the lines of "do you want to apply these changes now?" either (there is nothing to worry about on the box anyways). I guess i am lucky the one with the helpful message was also among the first i've tried as it gave me an idea of what to look for when others didn't tell me anything at all. I think there is certainly a bit of room for improvement.

tunyin: If you've manually created any X configuration files, delete them:

If you really want to use x server, you can youse GhostBSD. It uses freebsd 12.1 release kernel.
Xorg works fine in FreeBSD. Also this is FreeBSD Forums. Please don't plug GhostBSD here. Thanks.

If you really want to use x server, you can youse GhostBSD.

Now that really doesn't make a lot of sense. X runs just fine on FreeBSD. Actually i think suggesting some exotic system with what is probably a very tiny user base is not exactly in OP's best interest if he is in need for support (which it seems he is).

Reactions: a6h
Sorry if I confused you. I meant if you use freebsd on virtual machine. GhostBSD does not need any configuration for virtual machine, too.

To get back to the OP's Problem: Probably the drm-kmod that's bugging him.
As Sir Dice wrote: RTFM, or read the Forums-Post i linked in.
Nevermind that we don't know which hardware he has (Intel vs. AMD)

Back