New to FreeBSD. Startx fails with "Cannot run in framebuffer mode.". Help!

Hi guys,

I'm new to FreeBSD. I recently installed FreeBSD 12 on my system with a Coffee Lake i5 9600k CPU and integrated Intel UHD 630 graphics. The install went smoothly, but when I try running startx I get the strange error message: "Cannot run in framebuffer mode. Please specify busIDs". I know from reading the forum that this is a common issue, usually caused by problems with the video drivers. I have tried installing/uninstalling/reinstalling various packages including xorg, xf86-video-intel, and drm-kmod. I know that it is finding the driver, since I see i915kms.ko listed via kldstat. I tried installing drm-kmod-next and writing kld_list = "/boot/modules/i915kms.ko" in /etc/rc.conf as some have suggested, but it made no difference. I also get a strange error when I try Xorg -configure: "Number of created screens does not match number of detected devices. Configuration failed."

Questions:

1. Any ideas for what I should try next?

2. Is the issue simply that processor is too new? I'm a bit skeptical that this is the problem, since the graphics engine was basically unchanged between Skylake and Coffee Lake.

First, for future posts, it's called FreeBSD 12.0-RELEASE (FreeBSD 12 is not enough information).

The default i915kms.ko driver does not support CoffeeLake, you have to install one from ports.
I know that it is finding the driver, since I see i915kms.ko listed via kldstat.
That doesn't mean a lot. To se if the driver attached, something like the following should appear on the console/dmesg when the driver is loaded.
Code:
info: [drm] Connector eDP-1: get mode from tunables:
info: [drm]   - kern.vt.fb.modes.eDP-1
info: [drm]   - kern.vt.fb.default_mode
info: [drm] Connector VGA-1: get mode from tunables:
info: [drm]   - kern.vt.fb.modes.VGA-1
info: [drm] Connector HDMI-A-1: get mode from tunables:
info: [drm]   - kern.vt.fb.modes.HDMI-A-1
info: [drm] Connector DP-1: get mode from tunables:
info: [drm]   - kern.vt.fb.modes.DP-1
info: [drm] Connector HDMI-A-2: get mode from tunables:
info: [drm]   - kern.vt.fb.modes.HDMI-A-2
info: [drm] Connector DP-2: get mode from tunables:
info: [drm]   - kern.vt.fb.modes.DP-2
(this is from the base driver in FreeBSD 11.2-RELEASE, it looks a bit different in the new newer drivers)

The meta-port graphics/drm-kmod is recommended, as it installs the most recent drm for your FreeBSD version (no additional drivers for Xorg are needed).
You need the sources for FreeBSD 12.0-RELEASE in /usr/src and then add kld_list_"/boot/modules/i915kms.ko" to /etc/rc.conf.
After the driver is installed, there is no need to reboot. Just unload the already loaded driver # kldunload i915kms and load the one from graphics/drm-kmod via # kldload /boot/modules/i915kms.ko

(don't run xorg -configure, remove any xorg.conf files you may have created)

Wozzeck.Live That must be a typo in the Handbook, the driver from the base system supports everything up to Haswell, mot Broadwell. You are making it far more complicated than it really is, and you are wrong at some points, too.

First, for future posts, it's called FreeBSD 12.0-RELEASE (FreeBSD 12 is not enough information).

The default i915kms.ko driver does not support CoffeeLake, you have to install one from ports.

That doesn't mean a lot. To se if the driver attached, something like the following should appear on the console/dmesg when the driver is loaded.
Code:
(this is from the base driver in FreeBSD 11.2-RELEASE, it looks a bit different in the new newer drivers)

The meta-port graphics/drm-kmod is recommended, as it installs the most recent drm for your FreeBSD version (no additional drivers for Xorg are needed).
You need the sources for FreeBSD 12.0-RELEASE in /usr/src and then add kld_list_"/boot/modules/i915kms.ko" to /etc/rc.conf.
After the driver is installed, there is no need to reboot. Just unload the already loaded driver # kldunload i915kms and load the one from graphics/drm-kmod via # kldload /boot/modules/i915kms.ko

Hi k.jacker, I will try what you said. Question: why does it matter if I have the FreeBSD 12.0 RELEASE sources at /usr/src? I'm pretty sure I didn't include them during install, so maybe that's the problem. Also, will it make any difference if I install the drivers via pkg, or compile the ports myself? On this other thread (https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/startx-fails.68074/) the poster said that he had better luck with ports compared to pkg.

Also, will it make any difference if I install the drivers via pkg, or compile the ports myself?

It can make a difference if you mix ports and pkg in that you're more likely to run into problems than if you use one or the other exclusively. For new users, best advise tends toward using pkg and sticking with it unless you need to set a lot of non-default options in your build.

I prefer ports and rarely mix the two.

Code:

Hey, I reinstalled, this time with /usr/src.

I also installed drm-kmod and put the kld_list item in /etc/rc.conf. Still no luck. I see in the dmesg that the drm stuff isn't there. What should I do now? Thanks for all your help.

EDIT: I also tried drm-kmod-next, still no go.

The log file doesn’t indicate that the i915kms driver is loaded at all. The reason could be there is a typo in k.jackers posting
.... and then add kld_list_"/boot/modules/i915kms.ko" to /etc/rc.conf.
If you have took over the entry the same as suggested by k.jackers, clearly by mistake, it won’t load the driver. Incorrect syntax after kld_list, underscore ( _ ) istead of equal ( = ) . The correct syntax in /etc/rc.conf is:
Code:
kld_list="/boot/modules/i915kms.ko"

Exactly the same here. FreeBSD 12-RELEASE, Intel Coffee Lake i5-8500. The Xorg.0.log looks basically the same. The driver is not loaded at all.

dmesg | grep drm

returns nothing whereas on a Haswell System with FreeBSD 12-RELEASE with working X11 and drm-legacy-kmod it returns something like

Code:

So, either a problem with drm-kmod ond FreeBSD 12-RELEASE or a problem with Coffee Lake. I guess it's the latter. I'll plug the hard drive into a Kaby Lake System tomorrow and report if it's working.

The log file doesn’t indicate that the i915kms driver is loaded at all. The reason could be there is a typo in k.jackers posting

If you have took over the entry the same as suggested by k.jackers, clearly by mistake, it won’t load the driver. Incorrect syntax after kld_list, underscore ( _ ) istead of equal ( = ) . The correct syntax in /etc/rc.conf is:
Code:
That isn't the problem, I already noticed the typo and fixed it myself.

Ok, I tried this. I tried installing drm-devel-kmod using pkg (didn't work) and then tried ports (didn't work). Here is a paste of my Xorg log files: https://pastebin.com/sW5cmV5L

Regarding the naming: drm-current-kmod was not in my ports tree, and pkg couldn't find it either. Does the name change apply to FreeBSD 12.0 RELEASE? Or is it specific to packages for CURRENT?

Does the name change apply to FreeBSD 12.0 RELEASE? Or is it specific to packages for CURRENT?
Just use graphics/drm-kmod. It will automatically install the correct one.

Code:
20181209:
  AFFECTS: users of DRM ports other than graphics/drm-kmod
  AUTHOR: jmd@FreeBSD.org

In order to facilitate future porting efforts and help in supporting multiple
  FreeBSD versions, the DRM ports other than drm-kmod (graphics/drm-stable-kmod,
  graphics/drm-next-kmod, graphics/drm-devel-kmod) have been renamed to
  include the FreeBSD version they are designed for.

drm-stable-kmod is drm-fbsd11.2-kmod
  drm-next-kmod is drm-fbsd12.0-kmod
  drm-devel-kmod is drm-current-kmod

Hey guys,

I'm having a lot of trouble getting Xorg to run on my FreeBSD 12.0 RELEASE system, running on a Coffeelake i5 9600K with integrated Intel 630 graphics. I originally posted about this a few days ago on the wrong subforum, I'm reposting it here in the hopes that someone will be able to help me. Here is the original post: https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/...th-cannot-run-in-framebuffer-mode-help.68882/

Sorry for the double posting. I'd really like to get this to work, otherwise I'm gonna have to go back to Linux.

Don't mix ports and packages.

Change your pkg repository from "quartaly" to "latest".

Create /usr/local/etc/pkg/repos/FreeBSD.conf file
Code:
FreeBSD: { enabled: no }     # Disables /etc/pkg/FreeBSD.conf “quarterly”. Info for you, no need to write this in the file.

FreeBSD1: {                                                      

url: "pkg+http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/${ABI}/latest",              

mirror_type: "srv",                                            

signature_type: "fingerprints",                                

fingerprints: "/usr/share/keys/pkg",                          

enabled: yes                                                  

}
# pkg delete any drm-*kmod package
# pkg update
# pkg upgrade
# pkg install drm-kmod

/etc/rc.conf
Code:
If you haven’t done it yet, put the users in the “video” group.

# pw usermod <username> -G video

If you have any xorg related configuration files ( /etc/X11/xorg.conf , in subdirectory /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d any files ) rename them.

# shutdown -r now

After boot examine dmesg for drm messages. If the driver has attached, there should appear quiet a a few. As user: % startx /usr/local/bin/twm

If you get a black screen, supposed the i915 driver works as expected, the twm window manager has started. Left click to open a menu. If you have a window manager set in .xinitrc just % startx.

If you get drm related messages in dmesg, but no x11, examine Xorg.0.log, possibly set the intel driver in /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/intel-driver.conf

Code:
Section "Device"
    Identifier "Card0"
    Driver     "intel"
    # BusID    "PCI:1:0:0"
EndSection
If Xorg is complaining about BusID, you can provide it with pciconf -lv | grep -B 4 VGA. Uncomment the line, change id accordingly.

If in dmesg doesn't appear drm related messages, the driver hasn't attached or you get drm messages but no x11, save a copy of dmesg and Xorg.0.log. User nebu claims getting the graphic card work with graphics/drm-devel-kmod, now graphics/drm-current-kmod. Try it with that package, rename /usr/local/X11/xorg.conf.de/intel-driver.conf, reboot, examine dmesg, etc.

When no result again, please provide the output of

pciconf -lv | grep -B 4 VGA
From drm-current-kmod and saved drm-kmod:
complete dmesg ( on pastebin or file, attached to the posting)
Xorg.0.log ( pastbin/attachment)

Don't mix ports and packages.

Change your pkg repository from "quartaly" to "latest".

Create /usr/local/etc/pkg/repos/FreeBSD.conf file
Code:
FreeBSD: { enabled: no }     # Disables /etc/pkg/FreeBSD.conf “quarterly”. Info for you, no need to write this in the file.

FreeBSD1: {                                                     

url: "pkg+http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/${ABI}/latest",             

mirror_type: "srv",                                           

signature_type: "fingerprints",                               

fingerprints: "/usr/share/keys/pkg",                         

enabled: yes                                                 

}
# pkg delete any drm-*kmod package
# pkg update
# pkg upgrade
# pkg install drm-kmod

/etc/rc.conf
Code:
If you haven’t done it yet, put the users in the “video” group.

# pw usermod <username> -G video

If you have any xorg related configuration files ( /etc/X11/xorg.conf , in subdirectory /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d any files ) rename them.

# shutdown -r now

After boot examine dmesg for drm messages. If the driver has attached, there should appear quiet a a few. As user: % startx /usr/local/bin/twm

If you get a black screen, supposed the i915 driver works as expected, the twm window manager has started. Left click to open a menu. If you have a window manager set in .xinitrc just % startx.

If you get drm related messages in dmesg, but no x11, examine Xorg.0.log, possibly set the intel driver in /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/intel-driver.conf

Code:
Section "Device"
    Identifier "Card0"
    Driver     "intel"
    # BusID    "PCI:1:0:0"
EndSection
If Xorg is complaining about BusID, you can provide it with pciconf -lv | grep -B 4 VGA. Uncomment the line, change id accordingly.

If in dmesg doesn't appear drm related messages, the driver hasn't attached or you get drm messages but no x11, save a copy of dmesg and Xorg.0.log. User nebu claims getting the graphic card work with graphics/drm-devel-kmod, now graphics/drm-current-kmod. Try it with that package, rename /usr/local/X11/xorg.conf.de/intel-driver.conf, reboot, examine dmesg, etc.

When no result again, please provide the output of

pciconf -lv | grep -B 4 VGA
From drm-current-kmod and saved drm-kmod:
complete dmesg ( on pastebin or file, attached to the posting)
Xorg.0.log ( pastbin/attachment)

Hey man, thanks a ton for your detailed reply. I really appreciate your help! I changed the package repo to 'latest' from 'quarterly', and installed drm-kmod. I know that changing the repo had some effect, since the packages now followed the new naming convention, i.e. drm-kmod pulled the fbsd12 driver. (Side note: why the heck isn't it set to 'latest' by default? Coming from Linux land, this is a bizarre choice). It didn't work, so I installed drm-current-kmod (previously known as drm-devel-kmod). This, unfortunately, still did not solve the problem. The drm stuff still isn't appearing in the dmesg (see https://pastebin.com/tcvtn9v6). Here is the Xorg log: https://pastebin.com/K2z48pXs and the results of pciconf: https://pastebin.com/APWHyXiC.

I'm surprised this isn't working by now... seems to me that the drm-current-kmod package, which is based of the Linux 4.16 DRM code, should be recent enough to handle my system (see https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Linux-4.16-DRM-Pull). I'm getting pretty frustrated with this, so if we can't figure it out in the next few days I'll probably just switch back to Debian or Fedora.

Back