Can't start X - WARNING: Kernel has no file descriptor comparison support

With my last pkg upgrade (via poudriere) x11-servers/xorg-server was updated to v21.1.9,1. After rebooting I cant start X anymore, all I see is a black unresponsive screen. I can go back to tty with ctrl+alt+bksp.
There is no indicated error in /var/log/Xorg.0.log. I got a warning switching back to tty
Code:
WARNING: Kernel has no file descriptor comparison support: No such file or directory
On another machine still running xorg-server v21.1.8_6,1 everything works fine. Im on 13.2-RELEASE-p4 using intel driver i915kms and starting X (openbox-session) via xinit(1).
A google search was not particulary helpful so any help is appreciated.

It's been some time but I've seen that message. I limped along without xorg for a bit before replacing that computer with cheap mini-pc instead of fixing it. What I found was that Mesa dropped support for i915 devices, whether some or all I don't remember. I considered building xorg without Mesa but never researched other OpenGL implementations. Maybe you could downgrade mesa-dri and lock it. I see now that mesa release a package for legacy drivers called mesa-amber, maybe it's been ported to FreeBSD... and here is a link to a related thread. Good luck!

Somewhere I read that its a mesa issue and I should remove all fontconfig caches. I did clear and rebuild the caches without luck. Then I deleted all the X11 related stuff in my home directory (.xinitrc etc) and build up from scratch. And voila - X server is running again. To be honest I dont know what the reason was.

I just noticed the error in the thread title, whilst doing a reboot after X hung.

LXDE started OK after a reboot and there nothing about the error in Xorg.0.log.old so have no clue about what the msg is telling me.

Google finds numerous results, I sped through a few.

Here: it's probably necessary to see the warning in context. Can someone attach a relevant log?

If I use LXDE - my preferred WM, it starts up, but I just get a black background and the icons on the bottom appear but are just white boxes. I can open menu items on the desktop and am able to start up various programs such as XTerm and LXTerminal etc, it just doesn't look right.

I did try installing xfce and that came up OK. I've been using LXDE for years and the only problem I normally have is forgetting to enable dbus in /etc/rc.conf.

In /var/log/Xorg.0.log there is an error about 'failing to load module "intel", but I have no idea why...

Try installing xf86-video-intel on that old core2duo.
pkg install xf86-video-intel
I have just booted 13.2 from an external SSD device on my X61 and it boots fine using drm-kmod.

I think I'll try copying this installation onto my X61's hard disk an see what happens.

there is an error about 'failing to load module "intel", but I have no idea why...
Well my advice was based on the assumption that it is referencing xf86-video-intel.
There is a chance it is complaining about not finding i915drm.
Did you try drm_info ?

I have just booted 13.2 from an external SSD device on my X61 and it boots fine using drm-kmod.

I think I'll try copying this installation onto my X61's hard disk an see what happens.
I just copied a partition from my SSD device to the hard disk and LXDE boots up OK, although I still get the error in /var/log/Xorg.0.log about 'failing to load module "intel", but I've probably been oblivious to this for years since there were no obvious signs of problems.

The directory is empty. According to The Handbook it says:

Code:
Example 14. Select Intel® Video Driver in a File
/usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf

Section "Device"
Identifier "Card0"
Driver     "intel"
EndSection

Elsewhere I read that you shouldn't need to do anything to get Xorg working. Not sure what benefit I would get from this.

In any case, it isn't he cause of my problem since I have the same whether LXDE starts properly or not.

Back