Can't playback sound to the displayport monitor output

Can't playback sound to the displayport monitor output
Tried to change the default soundcard to hdmi but it doesn't playback any sound from any application !!!
It shows many hdmi soundcards but it doesn't playback sound.
I have an amd Rx580

Does your monitor have speakers? The HDMI device can transfer sounds but it needs speakers to actually play it.
You can try it on a TV, they usually can play HDMI sound.

It doesn't play sound , this happens only on FreeBSD, on Linux it can play sound.
Tried to change the default soundcard but nothing!
Maybe I should connect the graphics card with HDMI instead of display port ??? but i can't do that because on hdmi i have the cable tv box .

Does your monitor have speakers? The HDMI device can transfer sounds but it needs speakers to actually play it.
You can try it on a TV, they usually can play HDMI sound.

Last edited:
Tried to change the default soundcard but nothing!
Post the output from cat /dev/sndstat.

Maybe I should connect the graphics card with HDMI instead of display port ???
You may need to change the outputs though. I have a machine with 2 DVI, one DisplayPort and one HDMI (system has 2 videocards). Each one uses a different output, so if I switch the display connector I need to switch the audio devices too.

Tried changing to any of the many hdmi output sndstat shows restart the audio application ,try to play music nothing !
I guess it doesn't work with display port.

Post the output from cat /dev/sndstat. You may need to change the outputs though. I have a machine with 2 DVI, one DisplayPort and one HDMI (system has 2 videocards). Each one uses a different output, so if I switch the display connector I need to switch the audio devices too.

Tried changing to any of the many hdmi output sndstat shows restart the audio application ,try to play music nothing !
Post the output from cat /dev/sndstat. We can't see what is happening on your system if you don't provide the information. We're good but we're not clairvoyant.

I have a big ,curved pc monitor that i use for my pc and watching movies etc from my pc and i have connected a cable tv box to hdmi and the pc is connected to display port. On freebsd there is NO sound from display port i see many devices on sndstat as hdmi i tried to switch to any of them still no sound !
And not only that it seems firefox or chromium can't even playback a video when i switch to any of these hdmi outputs !
My graphics card is an rx580 nitro+ i have installed the drm-kmod and load amdgpu driver but no luck whatsoever ! Does anyone else have this problem ?
It doesn't seem to work with my nvidia graphics card either !

PHOTO_20200427_204216.jpg

Post the output from cat /dev/sndstat. We can't see what is happening on your system if you don't provide the information. We're good but we're not clairvoyant.

You could try to stop pulseudio/sndiod if you use and
for each dsp in "ls /dev | grep dsp" try to send noise,
cat /dev/random > /dev/dspX
When you have the correct dsp you can set it as default in rc.conf and configure pulseaudio/sndiod if needed.

I tried to send noise already no output works! And I have tried to stop pulseaudio or remove it completely, what is sndiod is a daemon is it installed by default??
I don't believe I will manage to fix that problem.

To be 100% certain try this stuff without running X and as root.
At least you should get realtek audio working.
kldload snd_driver.

Maybe I should try with an HDMI cable! Right now I have display port, I have purchased an HDMI switcher so I can switch to my TV box when I want.
Maybe HDMI would work with FreeBSD?

If cat /dev/random to the /dev/dspX does not work nothing will work. Where you able to make realtek audio work ?

i tried to send noise already no output works !
Have you checked that the corresponding mixer devices are not muted/turned down beforehand?

mixer -f /dev/mixer0
mixer -f /dev/mixer1
mixer -f /dev/mixer2
mixer -f /dev/mixer3
mixer -f /dev/mixer4
mixer -f /dev/mixer5

That is not the problem

Have you checked that the corresponding mixer devices are not muted/turned down beforehand?

mixer -f /dev/mixer0
mixer -f /dev/mixer1
mixer -f /dev/mixer2
mixer -f /dev/mixer3
mixer -f /dev/mixer4
mixer -f /dev/mixer5

Back