can't log into any account after installing KDE5 on FreeBSD 12.1

Disregard prevuous response. I wasn’t logged as root. Went back and issued the command and it executed with no errors. I then proceeded to run “startx” and xterm launched so I knew I was on the right track. After that I ran the echo Ck-launch xsession-plasma command and now KDE appears to be working.

Should I go back and remove the comment from /etc/rc.conf to allow sddm to launch during every boot up or just boot into a shell and then run startx? Trying to figure out why sddm was not working properly before.

No.
Start sddm manually to see if it works:
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/sddm onestart

If that works, then yes the next step is to remove the # in front of sddm_enable="YES".

Here is the output:
Code:
Starting sddm.
$ [15:45:08.187] (II) DAEMON: Initializing...
[15:45:08.200] (II) DAEMON: Starting...
[15:45:08.200] (II) DAEMON: No session manager found
[15:45:08.201] (II) DAEMON: Adding new display on vt 9 ...
[15:45:08.201] (II) DAEMON: Loading theme configuration from ""
[15:45:08.201] (II) DAEMON: Display server starting...
[15:45:08.202] (II) DAEMON: Running: /usr/local/bin/X -nolisten tcp -auth /var/run/sddm/{36308d76-f92c-4ca0-a1c8-03fbb0833844} -background none -noreset -displayfd 18 -seat seat0 vt9
[15:45:08.206] (EE) DAEMON: Failed to read display number from pipe
[15:45:08.207] (EE) DAEMON: Display server failed to start. Exiting

/etc/rc.conf
Code:
hostname="localhost"
ifconfig_re0="DHCP"
local_unbound_enable="YES"
sshd_enable="YES"
moused_enable="YES"
ntpd_enable="YES"
powerd_enable="YES"
dbus_enable="YES"
hald_enable="YES"
kde4_enable="YES"
kld_list="nvidia-modeset"
linux_enable="YES"
#sddm_enable="YES"
# Set dumpdev to "AUTO" to enable crash dumps, "NO" to disable
dumpdev="AUTO"
/boot/loader.conf
Code:
kern.vty=vt
nvidia-modeset_load="YES"
ums_load="YES"
linux_load="YES"
cuse_load="YES"
The Xorg.0.log has a few lines and I'm unable to copy of all of them. I know there is a way to copy all the log via pastebin, but cant recall the procedure. I read the log and I'm pasting the lines with warnings (ww) and errors (EE), hopefully they provide some insight:
Code:
  Before reporting problems, check [URL]http://wiki.x.org[/URL]
        to make sure that you have the latest version.
[   805.317] Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
        (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
        (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
[   805.317] (==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Mon May 11 14:59:43 2020
[   805.405] (==) Using config directory: "/usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d"
[   805.405] (==) Using system config directory "/usr/local/share/X11/xorg.conf.d"
[   805.441] (==) No Layout section.  Using the first Screen section.

805.692] (II) Loading sub module "ramdac"
[   805.692] (II) LoadModule: "ramdac"
[   805.692] (II) Module "ramdac" already built-in
[   805.694] (WW) VGA arbiter: cannot open kernel arbiter, no multi-card support
[   805.694] (==) NVIDIA(0): Depth 24, (==) framebuffer bpp 32
[   805.694] (==) NVIDIA(0): RGB weight 888
[   805.694] (==) NVIDIA(0): Default visual is TrueColor
[   805.694] (==) NVIDIA(0): Using gamma correction (1.0, 1.0, 1.0)
[   805.695] (**) NVIDIA(0): Enabling 2D acceleration
[   805.695] (II) Loading sub module "glxserver_nvidia"
[   805.695] (II) LoadModule: "glxserver_nvidia"

So, you have KDE running if you invoke startx?
If you grep EE Xorg.0.log, does it find any errors?

I really can't see an issue. Xorg finds your nvidia driver, you've got it in loader.conf.
Perhaps a re-install of sddm? Perhaps try something like slim and see if it works?

Did you run sddm as root?

Correct. If i invoke "startx" KDE runs fine. I've been testing it for the last 2 hours and so far everything seems to work. To be honest, dont recall if I ran the sddm onestart as root or not, but just ran it again as regular user and below is the output. I'm going to try re-installing sddm, see if that makes a difference. For the "grep EE Xorg.0.log", do i have to include the complete path where the log, if so below is the ouput:
Code:
grep EE /var/log/Xorg.0.log
        (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
[   807.483] (II) Initializing extension MIT-SCREEN-SAVER

Code:

Starting sddm.
$ [17:47:19.161] (II) DAEMON: Initializing...
[17:47:19.172] (II) DAEMON: Starting...
[17:47:19.173] (II) DAEMON: No session manager found
[17:47:19.173] (II) DAEMON: Adding new display on vt 9 ...
[17:47:19.174] (II) DAEMON: Loading theme configuration from ""
[17:47:19.174] (II) DAEMON: Display server starting...
[17:47:19.174] (II) DAEMON: Running: /usr/local/bin/X -nolisten tcp -auth /var/run/sddm/{fc68d995-cafc-45bc-b75b-
245a783faaff} -background none -noreset -displayfd 18 -seat seat0 vt9
[17:47:19.179] (EE) DAEMON: Failed to read display number from pipe
[17:47:19.179] (EE) DAEMON: Display server failed to start. Exiting

Finally got a chance to run the command sddm onestart as root and got no errors.

root@localhost:/usr/home/user # /usr/local/etc/rc.d/sddm onestart
Starting sddm.

I was able to log in as my regular user. So far everything seems to be working fine, however, I'm not using sddm. Just wanted to say thanks for all your help.

May I resurrect this thread.
I followed the above and even got into Plasma as root - screens and all.
I even found the user that will not fire up Plasma and changed its password within Plasma itself.
Still no dice; when I add the sddm back into rc.conf, it just hangs at the login screen.
When sddm is running, I can't get into Plasma at all.
It's gotta be something simple, no?

May I resurrect this thread.
I followed the above and even got into Plasma as root - screens and all.
I even found the user that will not fire up Plasma and changed its password within Plasma itself.
Still no dice; when I add the sddm back into rc.conf, it just hangs at the login screen.
When sddm is running, I can't get into Plasma at all.
It's gotta be something simple, no?
Have you tried switching from Plasma-Wayland to Plasma-X11 on the login screen? I find it easier to configure lightdm display manager than SDDM. Might be worth a try.

Have you tried switching from Plasma-Wayland to Plasma-X11 on the login screen? I find it easier to configure lightdm display manager than SDDM. Might be worth a try.
Thanks for the rapid reply. I think I have narrowed it down to the fact that although I've changed my user password through the normal methods, KDE / Plasma cannot be persuaded the password is valid. Even changing the user password within KDE after using ROOT as a user, doesn't work.
So I guess the question is how can the password that KDE looks for be changed properly?
BTW, I abandoned SDDM and installed SLIM on the off-chance it was something to do with that - but no.
To summarise, I've changed the user password at the OS level, but cannot seem to change it at the KDE level.
Seems simple, but that even makes it more frustrating.
Help, suggestions, gratefully received. Thanks.

Same account, there's no difference.
Thanks, that's interesting. I'll post more tomorrow (late here in Australia) What's puzzling to me is that I can log in to my user from Konsole, and navigate around etc., but as soon as I instigate a startx session as that user, the SDDM screen or the SLIM screen just hangs. No feedback - just hangs. I'll post more precisely tomorrow as there are some messages about files not found just before the SDDM or SLIM screen comes up. But thanks again for the speed of reply.

but as soon as I instigate a startx session as that user, the SDDM screen or the SLIM screen just hangs.
This has nothing to do with the account itself. If there was a problem with the account you would simply get authentication errors and you wouldn't be able to login at all. And you typically don't use startx and a display manager. You use one or the other, not both. You either login using a display manager (SDDM, SLiM, XDM, etc) OR you login in "text" mode on the console and run startx once you're logged in.

Many thanks again for you rapid replies.
Here is the summary:
I can log in as either root or user
If I startx from root, I get into KDE Plasma as root.
If I startx from user, I get a long list of errors
Both root and user have .xinitrc files which are identical as:
exec ck-launch-session startplasma-X11
In the case of root, that is owned by root and wheel.
In the case of user, it is owned by user and wheel.
I will change the properties of the .xinitrc file for user and post again in a few minutes (I'm very wary of the root user session I'm in).

. . . continues from previous message.
Same outcome; running startx from user gives a brief blank screen then exits with a long list of messages reading:
Could not resolve keysum XF86Macro*
then at the end, a mysterious message which reads:
Errors for xkbcomp are not fatal to the X server
Usually I can sense what's not right - but this has me beaten.
Thanks,

Apologies for the blizzard of notes here, but I just thought I'd like to add that I am trying to understand the startx manual entry, so hopefully I will understand a little more later in the day.
[Later in the Day: Australia]
All I've come up so far is that the root .profile looks OK, but the user .profile looks blank. It contains no information about locations of files at all. And the KDE version of editing users just doesn't work. I continue to read - but as root enters KDE so effortlessly, it is a complete puzzle why a user that used to work doesn't.

This has nothing to do with the account itself. If there was a problem with the account you would simply get authentication errors and you wouldn't be able to login at all. And you typically don't use startx and a display manager. You use one or the other, not both. You either login using a display manager (SDDM, SLiM, XDM, etc) OR you login in "text" mode on the console and run startx once you're logged in.
Thanks for your help, but I think my problem belongs on a separate thread. Basically, after an update (can't remember what) I rebooted later in the day to find my user inoperable, and I basically found that user had been disabled for use in KDE. The system is a long updated 13.1 installation - so that in itself means it doesn't belong here. I'll leave this message up for a few hours to see if you agree I should raise it as a new thread or if there is a simpler option. Many thanks again for your replies.

Not trying to steal this thread, but I'm having the same issue. Installed freebsd 12.1, and was able to log in with no issues. I then proceeded to install Xorg, XCFE, KDE5 and SDDM. Whenever I try to boot into KDE5 or XCFE4, the system just hangs. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.
I use freebsd12.2 with xcfe4. Try instaling The Windows manager or twm. It is the plain one. No added apps. Use it then to find bugs.

Back