Solved Cannot move pointer to the bottom of the screen in virtual console with a Logitech B100 USB mouse.

I observed this recently only. In virtual terminal, mouse works only approximately 2cm before the bottom end of the screen. It is a logitech B100 USB mouse. I drew the selection line to show the maximum possible area where the mouse pointer can go downwards:

index.jpg

Code:
:~% cat /etc/rc.conf
moused_port="/dev/ums0"
moused_type="logitech"
moused_enable="YES"

I checked virtual consoles today, and the problem is gone! Mouse pointer is reaching all the corners. Putting anything but "auto" in moused_type may have worked. It makes the moused choose mousesystems as the protocol to be used. (My assumptions). One thing I noticed is, those 4 beasties displayed in the post #1 is gone. Now, only login screen is seen. Beasties took the space, possible? :)
I have also kern.vty=vt in /boot/loader.conf.
That variable will do no good. 'logitech' is for serial mice of that brand only. For USB 'auto' is the only protocol type which will work and is default in /etc/defaults/rc.conf ( rc.conf(5) ).

Have you tried it without any moused(8) settings, or only moused_enable="YES" set?
Yes. I tested with other protocols and it always showed mousesystems as the protocol used.
So, I changed moused_type="mousesystems" in /etc/rc.conf. Killed moused and ran service moused onestart and it showed this message:
% doas service moused onestart
Starting default mousedmoused: unable to get status of mouse fd: Inappropriate ioctl for device

But, mouse works in virtual console, reaching to all corners.

So, I changed moused_type="mousesystems" in /etc/rc.conf.
'mousesystems' is for serial mice too. You don't need to set anything as moused_type, all USB mice work only with the 'auto' protocol, which is set by default in /etc/defaults/rc.conf (that file is read before /etc/rc.conf): moused_type="auto" # See man page for rc.conf(5) for available settings.

rc.conf(5)
Code:
moused_type
         (str) This is the
         protocol type of the    mouse connected    to
         this host.  This variable must    be set if moused_enable    is set
         to "YES".  The    moused(8) daemon is able to detect the appro-
         priate    mouse type automatically in many cases.     Set this
         variable to "auto" to let the daemon detect it, or select one
         from the following list if the    automatic detection fails.
         If this is a USB mouse, "auto"    is the only protocol type
         which will work.
         mousesystems     Mouse systems Corp. mouse (serial)

Yes. Added moused_type="auto" to /etc/rc.conf and restarted moused. No warnings or error messages.
--
Still, why did the beastie icons showed up in the virtual terminal earlier? When those 4 icons (4 cores or threads that denotes?) disappeared, mouse pointer can reach the top & bottom.

I'm marking the thread as Solved.

You don't need to have moused_enable in rc.conf. It's automatically loaded through devd(8). You can remove all the moused_* entries in rc.conf for USB mice.

Code:
notify 100 {
        match "system" "DEVFS";
        match "subsystem" "CDEV";
        match "type" "CREATE";
        match "cdev" "ums[0-9]+";

action "service moused quietstart $cdev";
};

Back