cannot mount root panic 9.0-BETA2

Hello, I installed the 9.0-BETA2 of PC-BSD which uses the GENERIC kernel (still no PC-BSD kernel, I think). Everything was fine until I decided to recompile the kernel and then I can't boot anymore, I get panic on mounting root. I can't enter in Single User mode or any other modes.

This is how I configured the disk in install:
/boot UFS 1024MB
/ /usr /var ZFS about 920GB
swap 4096GB

Right before it stops to mountroot> a few lines above it lists the disks details (it's a 1TB WD Caviar Black):
Code:
ada0 at ata2 bus 0 scbus1 target 0 lun0
ada0: <name of disk> ATA-8 SATA 3.X ...more info
ada0: 150MB transfers... more info
ada0: 953869 ... more info
ada0: Previouly was known as ad4

When I try to boot, it stops and asks for entry into mountroot> and I only get one try at it before it goes to db> and I have to reboot. Pressing ? shows this:
Code:
List of GEOM managed disk devices:
label/swap0 ufsif/4e79ff63efe9f8f4 label/boot0 ada0s1d ada0s1b ada0s1a ada0s1 ada0

I have tried the following command and they all don't work and result in error: 22:
Code:
ufs:/dev/ada0s1a
zfs:/dev/ada0
zfs:/dev/ada0s1
zfs:/dev/ada0s1a
zfs:/dev/ada0s1b
zfs:/dev/ada0s1d
zfs:/dev/ad4s1
zfs:/dev/ad4s1b
zfs:tank
zfs:zroot

At the boot menu, I tried to escape to loader prompt, but it cannot find
Code:
boot GENERIC
boot /boot/kernels/GENERIC

The following results in same error with mounting root:
Code:
OK boot kernel.old

OK unload
OK boot /boot/kernel.old/kernel

I only removed wifi nics, eth nics, compat for 4 5 6 7, and all raid drives from my custom kernel (kept all sata and scsi entries), installed, rebooted and got this. Booting from the PC-BSD live usb list the current drive as ada0s1, but doesn't go in further.

Please advise what I can do to get my system back without reinstalling. Cheers.

EDIT: http://www.daemonforums.org/showthread.php?p=34362 this seems to be similar with zfs on root.

grigorovl said:
At the boot menu, I tried to escape to loader prompt, but it cannot find
Code:
boot GENERIC
boot /boot/kernels/GENERIC

Unload the new kernel first (not sure that's required, but it won't hurt). Then give the full path to the old kernel.
[cmd="OK"]unload[/cmd]
[cmd="OK"]boot /boot/kernel.old/kernel[/cmd]

Same error happens. I think the filesystem may be damaged, because I did a hard restart following the first reboot with the new kernel. It booted into a blank screen (which was most likely an xorg issue).

I had a similar problem with a FreeNAS server and a hard reset. I had to run fsck to get it to boot properly. The problem here is that I can't get into a shell environment. I am lead to mountroot>

If there is a way to get my data out of there I am willing to reinstall, but I rather just fix it. Is there anyway to run fsck or something that will help? I think the hard restart might have had something to do with it. Please advise further.

You will want to use live usb and drop to fixit shell. Then you can run
Code:
# fsck -y -t ufs /dev/ada0xxx
to fix the ufs partition.
As for the zfs pool, you can try
Code:
# zpool import your_pool_name
, mount external usb hdd or other media and you can copy the data from the pool on it.

Further bad news... I ran 8.2 livefs and then went to fixit and ran
Code:
fsck -y -t ufs /dev/ad4s1a
It fixed some issues, but I am still led to mountroot> after reboot.

After loading zfs.ko in fixit, I run:
Code:
Fixit# zpool import
pool: tank0
id: 6629877018057362585
state: UNAVAIL
action: The pool cannot be imported due to damaged devices or data.
see: http://www.sun.com/msg/ZFS-8000-EY
config:
 tank0 UNAVAIL never version
 ad4s ONLINE

P.S. 8.2 was listing the drive as ad4 and 9.0 lists it as ada0. What can I try next? Is the data really damaged beyond repair from a simple hard reset? This never happened in Win for me, and it's a shame that it happened from 1 hard reboot in FreeBSD...
Code:
Fixit# zpool import -R /mnt -f tank0
cannot import 'tank0': pool is formatted using a newer ZFS version

I was able to get access to the drive from 9.0-BETA2 .img file. I wonder if there is any way to repair the system now.

You can mark thread as SOLVED. I was able to boot and get into the system with:
Code:
mountroot> zfs:tank0
Lesson learned, and I will not use ZFS anymore.

Back